Exactly how important is it to start the game with a +3 ability score modifier?

Jabborwacky

First Post
As a new player, I often find myself reading posts from other players talking about the crunch of D&D, yet I really don't have the experience to put their assessments into proper context. Some would say you can't go wrong by starting with a +3 modifier in a key stat, but that is a very expensive proposition in terms of a wizard or cleric. Provided I plan to boost the key attribute to sixteen or higher by level 4, does it really hurt much to start out with a +2 modifier?

I understand that point buy is a general rule for D&D and not directly associated with Adventure League, per say, but I felt it would be more productive to ask where the system is used exclusively as opposed to 5th edition in general.

Ainulindalion

First Post
If you're focusing on dealing damage, as a physical attacker, a +3 in that stat is needed ASAP.

If you're a primary caster, a +3 in that stat is needed if you're going to focus on spells that need attack rolls or enemy saves. It is also important in the case of Cleric, Druid, Paladin (less so), and Wizard because it allows you to prepare more spells at a time.

Certain builds allow for not running up the stat as high to start. Also, builds not entirely focused on combat effectiveness (non-min/max or non-munchkin builds) can get away with not having a +3 at level 1.

I personally tend to go with 2 +3s or a +3 and 2 +2s. It is theoretically possible to have 3 +3s (Human variant with a feat that boosts a stat, half-elf provided 1 is CHA), but your other stats will suck (-1s for human, half elf actually lets you have +0 and 2 -1s.).

kalani

First Post
It is not as important as a lot of people make out - although Spell DCs should be as high as reasonably possible (esp. for a cleric, as it sucks to miss with sacred flame). With that being said, I am not one of those players who believes you should get a +5 modifiers ASAP. There are a lot of factors to weigh in, and you should make whatever decision is right for you.

Myself for example, I have a gnome wizard (with 1 level of cleric) who started with a +3 Int modfiier. At wizard 4th level (character level 5) I took "Lucky" as it fit the character concept, bumping Int to +4 at 8th level (character level 9), and then taking "War Caster" at 12th level (character level 13). Some may argue that I hampered my characters efficiency, but I found that my decisions not only helped flesh out my character concept, but brought a different dimension to his efficiency. You don't know how many times the "Lucky" feat especially, was the difference between success and disaster for the entire party.... In those particular situations, it was more valuable than simply having an extra +1.

Anthraxus

Explorer
I have an odd off-stats-for-race PC, a Drow Cleric/Wizard Multiclass- 14's in INT and WIS, but also better AC/HP/Saves because I spread out my stats. I haven't found her underpowered, but I will be adding +2 to INT at 4th level Wizard for slightly better spell DC's.

Jabborwacky

First Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! The general impression I'm getting is that a +3 is useful, but not necessarily required immediately at the start. So a tiefling cleric is still very doable even though it doesn't have any ability score synergy with the class.

I have an odd off-stats-for-race PC, a Drow Cleric/Wizard Multiclass- 14's in INT and WIS, but also better AC/HP/Saves because I spread out my stats. I haven't found her underpowered, but I will be adding +2 to INT at 4th level Wizard for slightly better spell DC's.

I have a similar situation with my first cleric concept. He's a half-elf life cleric with a 15 in str and wis, and a 13 in con. I plan to boost the con and wis by one at 4th level to get better bonuses. It's also providing the opportunity to make a decision as to whether I want to focus on melee or spellcasting.

Ainulindalion

First Post
I have a plan for a Halfling Divination Wizard with the Lucky feat just for purposes of screwing with DMs. But he/she also won't have a +3 INT at level 1. Or until level 8, actually.

flametitan

Explorer
I am particularly fond of Mountain Dwarf Wizards (despite the fact that they too only get a +2 Int bonus)

It's a nice combo, especially when you DM in AL, as the DM rewards remove the biggest disadvantage (Not actually starting with armour). It might not be the ultimate optimization dream, but it can be a pretty solid build if you want to be effective.

If it wasn't for the fact that the cert said to me "dragonborn with darkvision goggles," I'd have made that combo myself.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Generally Ill only have one stat at +3. Another may become so later at the level 4 bump.I generally have more well rounded stats through my character than really high and really low stuff.

Remove ads