• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exalted (d6). Help me, please.

Satori said:
The responses remind me of a question I had on a Paladin build I requested help on.

That's because to a fair share of EN Worlders, Paladin is more of a title and station / ideal than the specific class. For instance, one can be a Paladin of the Silver Flame and actually be a Cleric/Fighter or Knight/Duskblade.

On topic, though. I think the statistical probabilities should be ok.

To be fair, though, one can *never* have too many d10s and d20s.

Also, this site has a grab bag of 20 d10s for like 4pounds. http://www.legendgames.co.uk/acatalog/Dice_Grab_Bags.html

-TRRW

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Mark CMG said:
So, now that that is cleared up for you, let's hear a bit about the tattoo. Did you ever post a pic somewhere?

I did, yes. The winner also has pictures but has chosen not to post them yet, so I've decided not to direct traffic to my posted picture at this time.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Well, I picked up the core book, the ST screen, and the ST Guide today. Can anybody recommend me some other essential-ish books for a Solars and/or heroic mortals campaign (I don't need anything heavy on "official" plots or iconic NPC happenings, because I plan to make Creation my own)? Also, I'm trying to stick with 2nd edition books only for the time being.

klofft

Explorer
Sorry for the slight threadjack here, but (to put it bluntly) is Exalted worth it? I know I can find a thousand drooling fanboys on rpg.net, but I'm looking for some objectivity. It has tempted me for several years now, but the price, word of its complexity, and the simple truth that I'll probably never get to play it have kept me away. Is it a good read? Would it make an engaging one-shot? Is it easy to pick up and play? (Yes, I have played lots of oWoD and have read nWoD, if that matters in your answer.)

Sorry, again. I'll be quiet now (I hope). Thanks.

C

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
klofft said:
Sorry for the slight threadjack here, but (to put it bluntly) is Exalted worth it?

See my first post. For some history, I owned much of the 1e line and came to hate the system. That said, I loved the setting. Recently, a thread from an Exalted newcomer over at theRPGsite (accompanied by some kick-ass player handouts) convinced me to give the game another chance. Why? Because that thread oozed fun and enthusiasm of a variety that I haven't seen here, at RPGnet, or at many other forums.

but the price

Honestly, that shouldn't be an issue. The core book is all that you need to play (provided that you aren't compelled to play out the "official" goings-on of the setting), and that costs $34.95 -- even so, most of the hardcover splats are $34.99 and the paperback splats are $24.95, so it's running neck and neck with D&D price-wise.

word of its complexity

Its complexdity comes mainly in keeping track of multiple sub-system variants on the core mechanic. Kind of like D&D. . . so if you can DM 3.5, you master Exalted, as well.

Satori

First Post
theredrobedwizard said:
That's because to a fair share of EN Worlders, Paladin is more of a title and station / ideal than the specific class. For instance, one can be a Paladin of the Silver Flame and actually be a Cleric/Fighter or Knight/Duskblade.

To be fair, the request was on the Wizards site, not here. In addition, my request sounded similar to, "I'm currently playing a 1st level Dwarven Paladin. My stats are X, but I haven't picked feats or chosen a Prestige Class yet. Do you guys have any advice on building a functional Paladin?"

As you can see, answering "Play a Cleric" is not REMOTELY close to what I was asking. He didn't say, "Take some levels in Cleric and top it off with X PrClass"...he simply said "Play a Cleric."

Of course, these are public forums, so you we have no choice but to read whatever poo someone decides to fling at their computer that day.

fling_poo_stand_clear_thumb.jpg

;)

On topic, I agree that the oWoD settings were SUPERB...and the mechanics were HORRIBLE. Rolling 94 d10's to see if a punch connects gets old really quick...but you can't beat the flavor of oWoD.

molonel

First Post
A friend of mine is running an Exalted game for us up here in Seattle. I'm enjoying the system, but it's just a matter of learning a different language. I played V:tM back in the day, but this game has nothing to do with that world and sometimes I even question how much the new system has to do with the gaming system.

It's worth it if your entire gaming group is able to put the effort into learning the system.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
jdrakeh said:
I did, yes. The winner also has pictures but has chosen not to post them yet, so I've decided not to direct traffic to my posted picture at this time.

It's not a kumquat tattoo, is it? :)

DanMcS

Explorer
jdrakeh said:
Well, I picked up the core book, the ST screen, and the ST Guide today. Can anybody recommend me some other essential-ish books for a Solars and/or heroic mortals campaign (I don't need anything heavy on "official" plots or iconic NPC happenings, because I plan to make Creation my own)? Also, I'm trying to stick with 2nd edition books only for the time being.

Exalted tends to run best with the fewest books. If you try to try to swallow it all, you'll choke :) I think you've got everything you need.

That said, 2nd edition seems to be splitting its books into series based on whether they are rulebooks or setting books (obviously, they overlap). Since you say you don't want setting, the rule series you might like best are the Books of Sorcery (which so far cover 1st age magitech, sorcery/necromancy, and artifacts), or the Scroll of the Monk/Imperfect Lotus (martial arts supplements).

The Manuals of Exalted Power (so far dragonblooded and lunars) might be useful if you plan on one of the types being the major adversaries of your game, otherwise just fudge it with the core book and the storyteller's guide.

There's a type of magic called Thaumaturgy, which is essence powers usable by mortals. It was detailed in the Player's Guide for 1e, and hasn't been done yet for 2e, but might be one of the Books of Sorcery or something.

If you're ok with PDFs, drivethrurpg has the exalted books for 2/3 price, so that might let you pick up a few spare rulebooks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads