• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exalted (d6). Help me, please.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Mark CMG said:
Any idea on when it will be revealed by the company? Are they waiting for Gencon and flying you in? Are they timing it with a new release? Where's the hype? :)

I can answer none of these questions at the present time, though I'm reasonably certain that the company won't be paying for my con attendance ;)

coyote6

Adventurer
jdrakeh said:
Well, I didn't exactly say that. What I don't want is setting heavy on "official" plot. Setting sans plots is just dandy. Take the setting chapter of the core book. . . it sets up some history but leaves the future wide open. That's fantastic! What I don't want are books that provide a lot timeline advancing fluff. That's metaplot. I can do without that.

You should be fine, then. Nothing advances the timeline in Exalted. There are books that talk about what might happen (and the several might-be's include contradictory outcomes); there's some stuff about what a faction is planning; and there's occasional bits that hint at the "official probable outcome" (which mainly seems to be, "Creation is doomed") -- but there aren't going to be books that resolve a plot suggested in a previous book (e.g., no "and Memnon is the new Scarlet Empress, thanks to her heretofore unrevealed secret alliance with the Lunars!").

They didn't even advance the timeline or plot from 1e to 2e. Even current events aren't entirely defined; the designers apparently have a position on what exactly happened to the Scarlet Empress, but they aren't saying it outright, and they don't appear to be writing the books so that it has to be true in every Exalted campaign. Thus, if you want the Scarlet Empress to be off getting married to a demon prince, cool; or if you want her kidnapped by the Mountain Folk, that'll work too.

The closest they get to "metaplot annoyance" might be revealing more about the past; that might turn something that was nebulous into a defined thing, and maybe that definition is annoying. (It doesn't seem to be that big a deal to me, what I've seen people complain about. YMMV.)

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Gez said:
Make a success on a 5 or a 6, with 6 counting double like the 10 in Exalted. The reduced chance of normal success but increased chance of double success should balance each other.

If it helps any, Shadowrun's 4e uses d6s in about this way.

I still have my block of 24 d6s from waaaaaay back playing SR2 my freshman year of college. All there, and the plastic box is still reasonably intact. Ah...certainly easier to roll than, say, a lot of d10s.

Brad

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
cignus_pfaccari said:
I still have my block of 24 d6s from waaaaaay back playing SR2 my freshman year of college. All there, and the plastic box is still reasonably intact.

I still have a block of 36 from my Star Wars D6 days, and another from my Shadowrun days. Why a block of 36, stylized (i.e., funky-colored), six-sided dice only costs $7.00 and a bag of ten, ten-sided dice costs about three dollars more, I don't know. And, really, I don't care. If I had to by 72 six-sided dice, I could pick them up with a dicebag for about $20 after tax.

[Dear pawsplay: It gets much better than that ;)]

I know this doesn't _directly_ address your question, but hopefully it helps...

The first is a different suggestion... dump the buckets of dice, and go with a d20. Somebody figured out a "close enough" approach here:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=150713
In case the graphic disappears for whatever reason, I've also attached it to this message.

And if you'd like to play around a bit with the probabilities yourself, you can grab the following program:
http://www.fnordistan.com/smallroller.html

It doesn't do everything, but for what you're looking to do, I think it'll get you close enough. When looking at the probability for the d10s, you'll probably want to use the options "Roll on each die" and "at least once". There's an option to display the probability curve, so that'll make things a bit more intuitive. It doesn't do exploding dice, so you're going to miss that part of the probabilities.

Note: I'm not a probability monkey, so all of the above might be completely wrong, and using the above information may be as wise as diving into a pool of nitroglycerin with a stick of dynamite in hand.

Attachments

• exalted_d20.gif
    exalted_d20.gif
    32.3 KB · Views: 57

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Scurvy_Platypus said:
I know this doesn't _directly_ address your question, but hopefully it helps...

Thank you (especialy for the second link). As it stands, I think I'm happy with the buckets full of six-sided dice -- as somebody else said, I think that buckets full of dice is part of the Exalted experience (I'm just not sold on the idea that said dice must have ten sides and cost me an arm and a leg).

Remove ads