D&D 5E Examples of a Strength Saving Throw

pukunui

Legend
The DMG says that Strength saves are to be used for "opposing a force that would physically move or bind you."

So maybe resisting being squashed by a crushing wall trap? Or maybe there's a trap that involves a block run on mechanical gears that moves out of the wall and pushes people into a pit. You could maybe make a Strength save to try and resist being pushed by the block, rather than having to make a Dex save to avoid falling into the pit.

Last edited:

Valador

First Post
Off the top of my head, I enjoyed running an adventure where a good chunk of it took place during a really nasty storm. The winds were so bad I had PCs make strength checks to keep from being blown around or knocked over. I also had the wind possibly affect projectile trajectory and also movement speed.

But really, like someone already mentioned, any kind of forceful movement opposition opens the doors to a lot.

wedgeski

Adventurer
The tricky thing is differentiating between Strength checks and Strength saving throws. Some of the examples above I would classify as a check, whereas a save should be unexpected and instantaneous, IMO, e.g.: holding on to a cliff-face when the path crumbles from under you, or staying on your feet as a tsunami washes over you.

Remove ads