D&D 5E Exhaustion how often / unfair?

Gadget

Adventurer
To be fair, you can't make death go away with a long rest.

Depends on the game. Drag the body back to town for the local cleric to do a raise dead, and presto! :) The point being that it seems the designers where somewhat caught between two minds when the put in the exhaustion rules.

aco175

Legend
I do not use them that often. They are there when needed, but only come up once in a while.

The DM may be trying to impose suspense on the group by making the threat greater and limiting the PCs with both exhaustion and a time crunch. You could rebel and take your breaks to overcome the exhaustion and heck with the time crunch. If you only have 24 hours before doomsday and you need to rest, then rest and let the DM figure it out. Not the most friendly way to game, but the DM may start to get the hint.

A less combative way is to hire lots of retainers. These extras can scout and guard and provide security while you sleep. Hire lots of people that guard and groom the horses as well as carry the torch and sets up camp and gather the wood. If you have 50 people waiting on you while you explore, life is easy. Kind of like in the old movies where there is a wagon train of locals waiting on the hero to find the lost city of gold.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
I typically use Exhaustion when a character hits 0 hp. I and my players became irritated when either a PC or NPC would pop back up and start whacking away again with no negative effects after receiving a bit of healing/regeneration.

And, yes, I apply Exhaustion to NPCs as well.

jasper

Rotten DM
I do not use them that often. They are there when needed, but only come up once in a while.

The DM may be trying to impose suspense on the group by making the threat greater and limiting the PCs with both exhaustion and a time crunch. You could rebel and take your breaks to overcome the exhaustion and heck with the time crunch. If you only have 24 hours before doomsday and you need to rest, then rest and let the DM figure it out. Not the most friendly way to game, but the DM may start to get the hint.

A less combative way is to hire lots of retainers. These extras can scout and guard and provide security while you sleep. Hire lots of people that guard and groom the horses as well as carry the torch and sets up camp and gather the wood. If you have 50 people waiting on you while you explore, life is easy. Kind of like in the old movies where there is a wagon train of locals waiting on the hero to find the lost city of gold.
haa dm. We slept pass dawn! You can not hang us now! See what we think of your rules; we slept through doomsday.
DM, "You open the door to your bedrooms. You look out into the void. Nothing exists except you, and your bedchamber. THE END!"
DM, "Who wants to dm the next campaign."
Or
Hmm hey joe. There is 50 of us and only 4 of them. I say we brick up the dungeon for a month. Or waste them with our cross bows.

jgsugden

Legend
Communicate with your DM. Give them feedback on what you enjoy, and what saps the joy from, within your game. Often, constructive advice can move a game in a direction tat everyone enjoys more.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Toying with a condition for PCs that drop to 0hp, then make their death save:

SHAKEN A character adds a level of exhaustion. This condition that can be removed with a short rest.

eta yes exhaustion can be pretty severe, but (in this case) the condition is removed as soon as the group finds a safe place.

This is the mechanic I use. A character that drops to 0 gains a level of exhaustion, but they can remove it with a short rest.

WaterRabbit

Explorer

In OotA, there isn't an immediate doomsday clock. However, resting will draw encounters that can interrupt the rest and be far worse than just suffering with it.

Kind of hard to hire retainers in OotA. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases