D&D (2024) Exhaustion

I'd like exhaustion to happen regularly and certain healing spells to reduce it (either restoration or a new spell called Invigoration). As written, it should come from both mental and physical sources.
One spell for both physical and mental exhaustion? Or one spell for each, Invigoration for Physical, Clarity for Mental.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Exhaustion is only worthwhile  because it can't be easily spelled away.
I get what you're saying, but my thinking is to give it out quite a bit, and a spell would just give a party the ability to knock down the worst of it. I wouldn't want it to be "easily spelled away" (unless someone has a single level and they want to blow a spell slot to "top up" the party - something that should be rarely worth doing.) I would expect it to be something that's a resource-management decision.

Stalker0

Legend
ultimately I'm curious what works better in play, lowering offense with exhaustion or defense.

right now the playtest version is offense, no loss of defensive power, just offense. So a highly exhausted character isn't going to get gacked, but probably not going to be able to contribute to the fight very well either....which is boring, the worse thing you can do to a player. Previously they could try things like grappling but those are attack rolls now as well.

If you nerf defense, yes you create death spirals, but at least that's interesting. The player has to take a bigger risk to adventure, that to me is more "heroic" than being fully defended up and sit there ineffectually wailing on the enemy

Vaalingrade

Legend
'Interesting' is a wide net. Something you hate with an all-consuming passion is 'interesting', but probably not preferable to not having to deal with it.

Aurel Guthrie

They/Them
I like that the new exhaustion rules will allow me to trade a long rest for more downtime activities such as training, crafting, researching, copying spells, etc, without getting severely punished for it.

rules.mechanic

Craft homebrewer
I would prefer for AC to also be affected (simply "-1 penalty to any D20 test you make, or is made against you") and a hard limit on 1 exhaustion level recovered via long rest and 1 via other means per day (suggest limit spells to Hero's Feast, Heal, Regenerate, Life Transference) unless via Wish or Power Word: Heal. That's how we've played our over-exertion rules for 2 years now and it works really well.

Remove ads