D&D 5E Exotic Mounts

WBruce

Explorer
Hi,

Can anyone recommend me a good source for exotic mounts? A book, site, community creation, anything?
Even better, what advice you would give me to homebrew my own? What I am worried here is about the stats, speed, how long can it keep moving, what kind of movement can it perform while mounted. Again, I am not worried on the creative part of it, but on the mechanics and above all stats.

I am not talking about common exotic mounts like bears, griffons and dragons (although I would also like to see any supplement on that), more likely in the line of a rhino, or hippo, or an elephant?

Thanks in advance.

aco175

Legend
I was just writing up some stuff on the Elemental Evil storyline and the main book has certain followers of Olhydra, the waterlord, be able to ride beast that have a swim speed. Further the knights gain breathing underwater and the senses of the mount- like blindsight or darkvision. One of these knights ride water weirds.

Not sure if this helps, but would be a cool ability for exotic mounts.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
Any creature you want can be a mount. I had a player with a drake as a mount. Anything in the MM can fit the bill. Just use the guidelines in mounted combat and here you go.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in fantasy. Very, very few creatures have the combination of size, strength, and bone/muscular structure to support a rider. Riding dogs piss me off to no end. It might be why I hate gnomes. naughty word, even horses were too small for riding through the bronze age.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in fantasy. Very, very few creatures have the combination of size, strength, and bone/muscular structure to support a rider. Riding dogs piss me off to no end. It might be why I hate gnomes. naughty word, even horses were too small for riding through the bronze age.
Selective breeding? Some dogs are pretty big and when I was young, I used to ride a really big Mallamute. If these can't support gnomes... Anyway, in fantasy, any creature could be breed or even modified magically to support a small rider or even a medium one. As long as the rider is one size smaller, I see no reasons to not allow it.

aco175

Legend
Part of the reason that giant versions of animals exist. A massive flying squirrel to carry me around or a giant crab to joust from. Not to mention giant ants which are cool for fantasy, but cannot exist in reality. It comes down to how much you wish to handwave.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
Selective breeding? Some dogs are pretty big and when I was young, I used to ride a really big Mallamute. If these can't support gnomes... Anyway, in fantasy, any creature could be breed or even modified magically to support a small rider or even a medium one. As long as the rider is one size smaller, I see no reasons to not allow it.

I also "rode" the large family dog, but in my instance it amounted to very brief rides where she moved at a snails' pace. Is it more realistic to have a riding dog than giant flying lizards that exhale color coded elemental hazards? Sure, but it still bothers me.

Remove ads