Expanded Psionics: Buying?

Are you getting the Expanded Psionics Handbook?

• Yes

Votes: 189 66.3%
  • No

Votes: 68 23.9%
  • Haven't decided yet

Votes: 28 9.8%

Turanil

First Post
No, I eventually got so little use out of the first one I gave it away.

I am in a similar position. I bought the first Psionic Handbook, was deceived by it (psion looked like too much sorcerers of sorts, and psi-powers spells), and absolutely never got the opportunity to use it. As such, I am reluctant to buy the new version, even if it looks far much better and very interesting.

However, if I could exchange my old copy for the new version... ;) Hey, is anyone interested by the offer. C'mon, this precedent version is going to become a collector!! Don't be shy: contact me, and I sell it with a discount! ;)

KaosKlerik

First Post
Wehtam said:
I passed on the other one and this one will be no exeption.

To me Psionics is just not D&D. I know they tried to intigrate Psionics back in AD&D 2nd edition, but to me it failed.

Agreed. Psionics is just plain ridiculous. It's like multiclassing (2nd Edition) as a Sorceror (3D Edition) while adding full xp to both levels. I don't know anyone that thinks it's a good idea except the munchkins I used to meet at conventions.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
KaosKlerik said:
Agreed. Psionics is just plain ridiculous. It's like multiclassing (2nd Edition) as a Sorceror (3D Edition) while adding full xp to both levels. I don't know anyone that thinks it's a good idea except the munchkins I used to meet at conventions.

Err - I'm not sure I understand. It's nothing like that. 1e (and to a lesser extent) 2e psionics might fit that description, but I'm at a loss as to how it could apply those labels to psionics nowadays. I don't want to hijack this thread, though; if you wanted to expound in a new thread, I'd be interested to read your opinion.

Last edited:

~Johnny~

First Post
It sounds neat, so I've ordered it from the cheapest place that's currently shipping it, GameOutfitter.com.

Even if I didn't have an interest in psionics, as an amateur d20 publisher I'd want to pick it up for the new rules information. The scaleable powers sound like they're getting close to my dream of scaleable skill-based d20 magic.

Mr. Kaze

First Post
Grosssly Overpowered

Well, I've already bought it so I have to say that "Yes, I'll get it." But be warned that it's grossly overpowered and a decent Kineticist will make any other artillery casters -- Fire Shugenja and Sorcerors especially -- feel sadly inferior.

A carefully crafted 8th level Kineticist I rolled up can, by rolling a concentration check of 2, unleash 10d6 worth of electrical whup-@$$ on up to 5 targets in a 30' cluster up to 200' away (and take a 5' step). There will be a reflex save allowed... at DC 27. Power penetration check would be at +12. And that's using a 2nd-level power, Energy Missile. Don't like electricity? Then go for Fire (10d6+10, Ref DC 25, PPC +10) or Cold (same as fire, but a Fort save). As a Psion, you've got all three -- and Sonic if you really want it -- on demand, at time of manifesting. That manuver costs 10 power points (out of 63 for the character) and uses the feats Overchannel (boost manifester level), Talented (safe overchannelling), Narrow Mind (+4 to focus checks), and Psionic Meditation (move-equivalent focus-checks). And then you can Dimension Door the heck out of there (since Dimension Door is a generic 4th level power)...

If you don't care so much for silly-high DCs, you can use the Energy Bolt [120'], Energy Cone [60'] (both 3rd level) or Energy Ball [20'] (4th level) with similar damage adjustments (but lower DC adjustments) for the same power points.

For my campaign, we'll be replacing arcane casters with psionics when we switch mods after I tone it down a bit -- specifically in the "boosting damage boosts DCs, too" department. The Saturday game I'm playing in uses pretty much everything and is looking to tone down the 3.5 Psionics substantially.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I'll buy it, but only for my own entertainment. The only person in my campaign who plays a psionic is leaving the game after the current campaign and no one else has any interest in them. sigh......

Remove ads