Expanded Psionics: Buying?

Are you getting the Expanded Psionics Handbook?

• Yes

Votes: 189 66.3%
  • No

Votes: 68 23.9%
  • Haven't decided yet

Votes: 28 9.8%

RichGreen

Adventurer
hmmm

Hi,

I voted "no" as I bought the first one and haven't used it. Having read all the messages saying that others also didn't use/like the first one, but really like this one, I'm now just unsure!

Cheers

Richard

Aloïsius

First Post
My 3.0 character, a psy warior used talents a lot : No more talents in the XPH.
I was often using two psionic feats simultaneously : it's no impossible with the XPH.
I used mindblast, to be able to deal with numerous monsters despite my low AC and and low HP : no more mindblast for psywarriors.
It was a character based upon a "wuxia" flavor : tumble, jump, move, spring attack... : no more tumble nor balance for psywarriors.
Las but not least, my second lowest ability (after constitution) was wisdom : it's now the primary ability for PW.

I'm quiet sure there are other things nerfing my character, but I don't have the book, AND I WON'T BUY IT !

Spatula

Explorer
Mr. Kaze said:
A carefully crafted 8th level Kineticist I rolled up can, by rolling a concentration check of 2, unleash 10d6 worth of electrical whup-@$$ on up to 5 targets in a 30' cluster up to 200' away (and take a 5' step). There will be a reflex save allowed... at DC 27. Power penetration check would be at +12. And that's using a 2nd-level power, Energy Missile.
With an Intelligence score of 22. I imagine that Energy Missile will be errata'd to only boost the DC by 1 for every 2 PP spent (like all the other damaging powers), which knocks the DC down to 23.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Mr. Kaze said:
A carefully crafted 8th level Kineticist I rolled up can, by rolling a concentration check of 2, unleash 10d6 worth of electrical whup-@$$ on up to 5 targets in a 30' cluster up to 200' away (and take a 5' step).

It's worth noting that a tricked out Wizard with a Fireball can do nearly the same but to many more targets. And the Fireball is save for half, so you know you'll do at least a little damage. IIRC, the Energy Missle is a ranged touch attck.

Mr. Kaze said:
Well, I've already bought it so I have to say that "Yes, I'll get it." But be warned that it's grossly overpowered...

Any other examples? I see a few places where it might be overpowered, but on the whole it looks fine. Some powers are better than spells, and some spells are better than powers. It just makes them different.

Last edited:

Robbert Raets

Explorer
Gotta agree with mr. Drader and mr. Kulp on this one. I never really liked the 3.0 psionics, with the convoluted combat modes from 2nd Ed. taped onto it. But with the new possibility for classless psionic progression (1st level Commoner with Wild Talent, anyone?) I'm seeing the true potential of psionics in my game(s).

Greyson

Explorer
Yes

Yes, I am going to get the Expanded Psionics Handbook, for sure. A friend of mine played a Psion using the v.3.0 book, and it was a pretty cool character with unique and interesting abilities. I did not invest in the v.3.0 book back then because I knew the v.3.5 rules were coming and read about the pending v.3.5 Expanded Psionics Handbook. So, I have waited until now.

I think that generally, WotC has done a terrific job with v.3.5 and I that Expanded Psionics Handbook will be another great addition. If not for regular use, at least as an idea/story generator and to add another twist and perspective to our v.3.5 D&D gaming.

Definitely, I love 3E psionics, and this book has me really excited and will see much use in my campaign (fits even better in Dragonstar than in standard D&D to my mind).

-Zarrock

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I'm looking for a very different feel in psionics, and I don't think its revised enough to do it for me, so no... my hubby might though, so I'll have access by default. :cool:

Kahuna Burger

Remove ads