D&D General Expanding a 3-player campaign to a 6-player with 3 newbies

So, in our group of friends, there is a sudden interest in D&D. We have an ongoing campaign with 3 players, and recently we talked in a restaurant about that campaign and now 3 others would like to join. But I don't have very good experiences when people join into an existing campaign. The group dynamics will be different and there is a real risk that the introduction will be rushed because everybody is eager to get going again.

So, taking earlier experiences into account, I'm considering to organize a one-off in the same campaign-setting so that all the newbies can get to know the game a bit, and get some introduction into the campaign setting as a bonus action. Then I want to organize another "session zero" where we align style and characters, and where we draft the 3 new characters. And then it's up to me as DM to merge the 3 new characters into the existing storyline. It's gonna take some time (i.e. 3-4 sessions) before we're doing "normal" sessions again, but the current players themselves are enthusiastic to expand the group, and it's in fact their idea, so I hope they'll be patient.

My main worries are:
  • When we're discussing new characters, the existing 3 players may also get inspired and want to make a new character. Should I allow that? Seems mean not to allow it. But if too many characters change, we might as well start a new campaign.
  • I'm thinking to merge the new PCs into the story at level 1, and level them up really really fast to catch up with the group, who are approaching level 4. There's a danger in having squishy level 1s on a battlefield, but there's also a risk when you level up new players too fast (learning curve may be too steep). I may give the new level 1 PCs each one extra healing potion at the start of their existence in the game to avoid too many deaths.

Any thoughts or tips?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just to throw out a likely impractical idea: What do you think abotu continuing to run your 3-person campaign and also running another campaign in the same world? This gives you the opportunity to start all of the characters at the beginning so they are all well integrated, start at level 1 which si a good place for newbies to learn, existing players who want to be in both (may not be able due to time or other commitments) can have new characters, and it doesn't impact the first campaign directly, but as it's in the same world they will enrich each other by making the world feel more dynamic and living.

And in the future, if one fo mroe of the newbies - no longer new - want to join the other game they will be up to speed on the world and that call can be made. And, worst comes to worst it falls apart due to scheduling or whatever you still have the original game.

Horwath

Legend
If you are worrying about lvl1 players being too squishy and do not want to burden your new players with lot's of mechanics, consider having their 1st level characters have 3rd level Hit points. There will be fewer stuff to memorize but they will be able to take few hits before going down.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If it was me in this situation, I would start a whole new game with the six players so that old and new alike are on even footing. Then if we had the time, continue to run the original three in their other game, maybe just less frequently (if the three actually care about their current game that much.)

GSHamster

Adventurer
I think you should let the 3 experienced players make new characters for the one-off. That way everyone starts together and has fun together. Encourage them to try something very different from their main character.

Ideally, the one-off will take the new characters to 2nd or 3rd level. That way they can merge into the existing group more easily.

If one of the experienced players decides that they like the new character better, just roll with it and retire the old character.

jgsugden

Legend
I support your plan: Start them off with a standalone adventure that covers about 4 to 6 sessions to give them a chance to learn before they make characters for your regular campaign. By that time your other players will miss their PCs, most likely. Also, right before the break, give them all a good story hook that they'll want to resolve with their existing PCs because it ties into their stories...

aco175

Legend
I may poo poo on this, but you may find that some or all try it and then not like it. You may be back to the original campaign in a few weeks. This is a risk with new players who find it not to their liking.

I would be tempted to start a new campaign that lasts only a few weeks/months. Grab something basic like one of the box sets to help the new players to like the game and stick with it. The old players can help and play new PCs, maybe even ask them to play '2nd tier' and let the newbies shine more. After a month or two you will find out a lot.

Another idea is to start with the new players and add the old players as NPCs/henchmen depending on how the new players set up the group. You can advance them to 4th level and then join the old party with some experience under your/their belt. You come up with a side track that joins the original campaign and everyone is happy. The NPC/henchmen can come and go as needed, orrrrr, you kill them off in a climatic battle before the new party meets up with the old party. This shows the players that PCs can die and to be careful.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I think there is good advice in this thread so far, but @aco175's warning is also very important. It may be that one or more of the new players end up not that into it and that is okay, too! As such, it is better to do a one-off 3-session mini-campaign or something to let them try it out without long-term consequences to your ongoing game.

I have pretty good record these days, but there was definitely a time in the past where getting 1 out of every 3 possible new players to join was a positive thing because not every game is for everyone (and that'd be true even if they were already experienced with D&D).

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Others already said what I thought...

Despite the enthusiasm, I would not count on the new players to stick around. Therefore I would not yet let them join the ongoing campaign.

Instead, I would organize a separate one-night game or maybe even longer, but still a single adventure (3-4 sessions max) to let the new players try.

You can set this adventure in the same fantasy world so that they get to know something about it.

I would prefer that the 3 resident players make new PCs for this adventure so that everyone starts at level 1. At the end of it, you can level up to 2nd, and have the 3 new player's PC join the 3 old players 3rd level PCs which they will resume playing.

This way also if something goes wrong, the old players can resume the previous campaign from where they stopped.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases