Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: How was your groups experience?

Sitara

Explorer
So, how was your experiance with this epic revised module.

Did you manage to survive till the bitter end?

What class did you play?

How did your group finally kill Strahd?

Any quirks/funny stuff happening in your game?

Overall impressions?

Humanaut

First Post
Every 2 years my highschool friends and i get together for "Geekfest", one week of solid DnD with no wives/kids... just DnD, beer, videogames and such. 2007 was EtCR and we had a blast! We had gone through the original back in the day, and later on the House on Griffon Hill too, so there were lots of memories with Strahd.
Our group did manage to get to the end and get Strahd, grapple, pin stake before he went gaseous... but not w/o a mighty battle that looked like a potential TPK until the dice sang for us.
I played a human Warlock, i flew, alot. We also had a 1/2 fey Cleric of Pelor, a Goliath Monk and a Tank... he died quite abit, the dwarven figther, the 1/2 orc, and finally the 1/2 Minotaur fighter...
My personal funny memory is chasing Madam Eva through the forest (i'm flying) and shooting her repeatedly in an overreaction to something she did to us.. until her help arrived, then i backed off...uh, guess you had to be there.
Also, the DM cackled at us tward the end of the week when we were finally heading into the castle, we went in just a couple rooms from the enterance and then ran screaming out... about 3 times before we got any progress into the castle...
Overall i'd have to say it was a blast, from our arrival in the town to taking down Strahd, it had plenty of stuff for us to do during the week of gaming, and the DM said he could have added or deleted as needed with the time we had.
If you're going to run or play it, IMHO you'll have fun.

Maleketh

First Post
I tried DMing this for my group. We decided that dungeon crawls - essentially what EtCR is in its latter half - weren't for us. I'm still determined to run it online, though.

Still, they did have one very impressive moment - fighting the gargoyles in the entry hall. The party sorcerer hit the dwarf paladin with enlarge person and fly, and then the party cleric proceeded to ride him like a mount. It was a frighteningly effective tactic.

Bad Paper

First Post
I think the only party that could ace the module is four clerics of Pelor.

We failed. I played a swordsage (died)...then a crusader (died)...then a warblade (dominated). We had a cleric die and be replaced by a bard. The warlock died and was replaced by a warlock. The fighter made it all the way until...three of the party wound up dominated, with the warlock flying after the bard hosing her down with eldritch death

/we give up

Remove ads