log in or register to remove this ad

 

Expeditions to the Craters.

QuaziquestGM

First Post
It is an early summer evening on the Frontier province, and, along with most of the Town of West Lake, you are knoll just north of town overlooking West Lake awaiting the promised fireworks for the Warden and Baron's son's Name Day Celebration. The best pryo-illusionist in the land, Dolfgand the Singed, has been summoned from the East, and now is out on Mushroom Turtle Isle in the middle of the lake warming up for the evening's show.

Vendor tables baring toasted nuts and other treats are set at the bottom of the hill and the crowd is in a festive mood as the sun sets. The festivities are about to begin.

A few minstrels entertain the crowd as the sky grows dark. Logs are piled for the planed bond fire and dance for after the fireworks. The Baron is on hand and will probably make some speech, but the name day boy and is probably back home with his mother.

Hmmm... is that roast turkey legs you smell?

*pop* whirrra-BANG

https://i.giphy.com/peAFQfg7Ol6IE.webp

http://www.animatedimages.org/cat-fireworks-492.htm

(had some problems with image tags)

The first 'attention getter' goes off above the lake.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Aylana exits the soothsayer's tent with a smile. The woman was good but not a seer. When the eight of staves came out, she was told she would be traveling. "You can tell that from my backpack as well," she pointed out. Next the seer said there would be danger in the mage's future. "What a surprise here on the wild border of civilization," Aylana exclaimed.

Eventually the seer threw the faen out. "Mock me all you want, faery girl," she said. "You are not the first to ignore my what I see in the cards. But I fear you may be the last. Mark my words."

Aylana was not sure what the seer was trying to tell her but it was certainly a fun way to spend a few moments sitting out of summer sunlight. The rest of the fair was just as insightful. There were side show "freaks" meant to frighten children and sweet treats meant to make children annoy their parents. No one seemed interested in discussing anything of substance.

As evening came, she found a tree with thin branches about ten feet up not far from the edge of the lake. Seeing a branch that was not easily accessible, she concentrated for a second on flight and lifted into the air. Perched as she was, she would have an unobstructed view of the magic display to come. Townsfolk filled in ground below her and all around the lake to watch the display, one or two might have wondered how she got up there. As the first fireworks lit the sky she cast detect magic so she could better analyze the techniques of the master illusionist. She could not identify every spell as it was cast, which she attributed to her neglecting the school of illusion during her training.
 
Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Inamar had so many questions.

Like...why was the 'greatest' pyro-mage nicknamed 'the Singed?' Didn't that imply that he was NOT very good at doing fire magic? Was it some nickname from his apprentice days that just stuck to him and now everyone called him that? And what was the deal with Mushroom Turtle Island? What the heck was a Mushroom Turtle? A mushroom shaped like a turtle? A turtle shaped like a mushroom? A turtle with a mushroom growing on the back of its shell? The island didn't look like ANY of those things to her. Just an island!

The food was good though. The leg of roast turkey in her hand was nearly as big as her arm, which was to say a halfling's arm, and she felt like she could just kind of bite a tunnel into it and crawl inside if she was so inclined. So juicy!

And, it was kind of a cliche', but the people out here on the edge of things were nicer than the folks back in the cities too. A little slow to trust...but lets face it, it wasn't like that was anything new. At least these guys were more open about it. Heck, they were more open about just about everything. You could make a killing rooking them, to be honest.

If, you know, you were into that sort of thing.

That wasn't why Inamar was here though. A new life! New possibilities! Newly 'not having to worry about when Grantz' goons would catch up with you!' That wasn't just cooked meat and acrid pyromancer smoke in the air. It was greatness waiting to happen.

She took another bite of the turkey and chewed.

So juicy.
 

QuaziquestGM

First Post
(roll a gather info check. Keep game rolls in the IC tread. I run the gm posts as 'virtual table talk' and use the OOC thread for metagame discussion and such. )
 

Shayuri

First Post
Gathering info while munching on turkey!

[roll0]

(Hehe, clearly Inamar is more focused on asking the questions than she is interested in the answers :))
 

QuaziquestGM

First Post
The show starts in earnest. Whistling bursts of color, followed by images of dancing goblins fighting glowing outlines of angels projected on the sky.
(he must be using something to amplify the illusions to make them visible at this distance. )
 

Thateous

Explorer
Crag sits at the base of a tree on the outer edge of the festivities. "Pretty people, happy people" Crag thought. When the show started Crag leapt to his feet, startled by the flashing lights and colors, but that quickly turned to wonder and amazement. "Pretty colors" he thought as he sat back down and stared at the sky.
 

QuaziquestGM

First Post
The display builds in intensity and variety. Bursts of color mixed with beams of light and branching lightening bolts coming from the island. Balls of light buzzing around is island. Images of fantastic creatures projected on Fog and smoke. The reports and zips grow louder and louder.

He even has some streaks of light shooting across the sky. (spell craft check)

These streaks also intensify, though they aren't as showy as the rest of the display.

Then two of the buzzing lights collide in the air....

https://giphy.com/gifs/fireworks-XJieiKtvblJZu

A shower of sparks is released as they collide. They spiral crazily away from each other leaving glowing purple-blue trails. One goes generally upwards as the other starts skipping across the water of the lake, some times returning to the air momentarily before splashing again, the water glowing energetically at every point of contact.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
With detect magic active, Aylana becomes concerned that not all of the light show is illusion magic.
OOC: Spellcraft [roll0] vs DC 20+spell level or DM assigned :)
+2 if transmutation
-5 if illusion or necromancy
 

Shayuri

First Post
Inamar watches the lights bursting and colliding and roiling crazily around, having found a nice tree on a bit of a hill overlooking the lake. It's a good view, and an entertaining spectacle, but...on some level she's kind of had it with magic displays like that. It was less 'pretty' when you knew what that sort of power could do to a person. Just as bloody as a knife or an arrow...and sometimes far, far worse.
 

QuaziquestGM

First Post
(how are you getting +16? I'm only adding up to 13...)

Something does seem off.... Those steaks of light coming from the east seem to be coming from well out of range of any spell...

karBOONGGGN!

Turing to the sound you see the bell tower disintegrating, the bells bouncing across town towards the lake, small rocks and fragments shooting into buildings and a green fireball crashing into the lake. A multitude of smaller fireballs like green flaming arrows rip across the sky from the same direction, some disappearing harmlessly over the horizon, some hitting the lake, and some piercing rooftops or smashing into green fragments on the town's walls and streets.

Then a Huge fireball, much higher in the sky, trailing flames and accompanied by several smaller fireballs, streaks across the sky from East to west. One of the smaller ones hits the island just as the buzzing light that was skimming the lake also hits. They explode with bolts of lightening sending debris into the air.....

Another of the smaller balls crashes 1/2 way between the lake and the horizon, several miles off. The Giant one and the others disappear over the horizon. A moment later, it is as though the sun has suddenly risen in the West and you feel vibrations from the distant impact....

You don't have time to worry about this, as the remaining buzzing light suddenly zips up skyward, and detonates blindingly. When you can focus a minute later, in it's place in the sky is a glowing fiery eye with lightening shooting from it at random... and the sky around it seems to be fractured.

Shiny, coin sized bits of metal rain down on you, followed by hotly burning larger fragments. As you try to dodge these, rocks and branches and fish and stuff starts hitting you from the direction of the island. Some of these look like candy striped tubes with cones on top and others like red paper covered balls.... both the tubes and the balls have sparkle tails that get shorter.....The rockets ricochet around the crowd and town at random and the small balls erupt into fireworks and illusions of dancing demons. Dolgalf's remaining fireworks have been spread around the entire lake region and are igniting randomly.

The turkey leg stand detonates.

Elsewhere in town, the flock of turkeys that weren't tonight's dinner are flapping around the town on fire. Flaming cattle are stampeding at random. Several buildings are fully ablaze and others have smaller fires.

The town guardsmen nearest you is struck by an actual flaming arrow and falls dead. Torch wielding goblins are attacking the town, singling gleefully as they call out in answer to the One Eye'd God's proclamation of chaos!

It is complete Pandemonium!

Heroes, what do you do?
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: Int +5,
4 ranks,
Talent: Affinity with skill: Spellcraft +4,
Feat: Eldritch Training +1,
Loresong Faen racial bonus +2

And it doesn't hurt that I rolled a 19 :)
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
As soon as the fireballs start to look dangerous, Aylana casts mage armor. "Those are definitely evocations," she tells no one. "Dolgalf was using flash powers as well as magic and flash powder is dangerous around fire." She continues to mutter. As the giant light in the sky blinds everyone and resolves into an eye she casts expeditious retreat and uses her sudden shift ability to fly to the ground as far away from the eye and to move away from it. As she's moving through the air, she spots the soothsayer stepping from her tent and being killed by a passing burning cattle. She lands next to the soothsayer's tent and seeing the poor woman is dead ducks inside to hide. "What do you know?" she again says to no one. "The seer was right. I was the last person whose fortune she would tell. And there is definitely danger. I suppose not all seers are charlatans. Some may have some affinity for divination magic. I should have checked to see if she using magic. Oh well. Too late now." An explosion goes off near by and it jolts her from her rambling. "Oh, yes, but first there's an eye floating in the sky. It must be some kind of illusion. I hope. If it's a conjuration that would be very powerful magic."

Shouts from goblins snap her out of her current babbling and peaks out of the tent to see what is going on. There just chaos and disorder. Townsfolk are being attacked seemingly at random. She peaks out trying to figure out if this is what it appears to be (a mass slaughter) or are the goblins trying to herd the townsfolk toward or away from something. She is also trying to hide.
OOC: mage armor AC 18 lasts forever
expeditious retreat 50 ft movement for a minute
Hide: [roll0]
Search/kn geography/sense motive/??? [roll1] +5 for straight up int check, +2 or better for any knowledge skill, +1 for wis based rolls
 

QuaziquestGM

First Post
You can't make sense of what the goblins are doing, and maybe there is no sense to be made. Every forth goblin you spot is actually on fire, the rest seem to be lighting fires, attacking townsfolk, or looting.
 

Thateous

Explorer
Crag sat smiling for the longest at the display even after the flaming lights started raining in. He thought it was all part of the show. It wasn't until the blinding light that he began to panic. He instinctively grabbed his Cleaver and started swinging wildly. When his vision returned he looked in awe at the towering eye for a long moment. "Grumish" he mouthed. He then looked around at the ensuing panic within the village. Cries pulled his attention from one place to the next, however it was the cries of goblins that held his attention. He spotted the creatures running a much lighting anything and everything on fire, themselves included. The barbarian moved to intercept the goblins before they could hurt anymore of the "pretty people".
 


Shayuri

First Post
Inamar was actually impressed for a moment before she realized there was no way whoever was doing the display was responsible for what was going on up in the sky right now. Huge blinding flashes were one thing. Gigantic fireballs that crossed the horizon and shook the ground? Not so much!

She had no idea what the floaty eye thing was, but she knew trouble when she heard it. In the city, goblins were mostly things that snuck in through the sewers and ambushed the very old or young, or the like...but out here in the sticks well, they were clearly much bigger problems!

On her feet again, Inamar made for the protective concealment of some nearby bushes. But first she glanced at the goblin chasing a lady around fire, and frowned. Silver lines suddenly stood out from her skin, tracing eldritch sigils of some kind. She lifted the hand she wasn't holding her rapier in, and light pulsed along those lines, skittering over her body and converging on that arm, on that hand, on that finger...then exploding outward in a narrow 'dart' of silver-white radiance! It made a high whining, buzzing noise as it went, lighting up the path it took with a sudden flash on its way to the target!

(Shooting at the butt-head goblin chasing the gal! Eldritch Blast! [roll0] atk (using point blank shot; she'll move to get within 30' if she isn't already), doing [roll1] damage.)
 


QuaziquestGM

First Post
ZAPP! stuns the goblin and then SMA-EEVE! destroys it, half the body falling into the fire.

The woman runs off towards the lake.

SNIPE. A arrow flies towards Crag. [roll0]

The goblin, 25 ft to the north, missed.
 


Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top