• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experience Point Costs

Psion

Adventurer
Umbran said:
Creating magic items is, in essence, the same thing - payng Xp to get an ability. So, you might consider using the magic item creation costs as a starting point.

Keep in mind, the magic item system uses cash more as a regulating quantity than XP; only a small part (1/25 of the item cost) is in XP, seemingly to make it "sting" to make your own items.

If you create a system in which you spend too much for an ability, and are using the default XP award system (that awards more xp to lower level characters for the same challenge), the character in the long run is getting the ability for free.

IMO, you are far better off with some ECL or class-type mechanic than just using raw XP as a tapable resource.

root

First Post
I think it was issue #207 or #208, I can't remember off the top of my head right now. But the article is called 'Prestige Races'. It is more or less a chain of abilities which you can get by expending XP and mediating 1 day or 1 week per 1000 xp expended. The cost goes off the standard magic item costs which you would double since it takes up no space and then you divide by 5 to get your total xp which you have to expend.

It isn't a bad system, pretty balanced, just that you start to gain levels more slowly, especially if you start taking more than one at a time with the intent on finishing them of course.

Oh and it does require that players sack a feat (Scuplt Self) to gain the ability to modify themselves in this manner.

Samothdm

First Post
Thanks for all of your help. What I'm really looking for here is something that was done in the "Player's Guide to Kalamar" book. In the section on religion, there is a table wherein a character can "advance" in the church by paying a small XP costs to gain a small ability, such as free access to healing spells from the church or the use of a small handful of 1st level commoners and experts.

I'm trying to figure out how they calculated what amount of XP was necessary to pay for the abilities. There is usually a GP cost as well as a skill, feat or level requirement.

kenjib

First Post
I agree with Psion. Using an ECL or class based system allows you to still gauge CR effectively. Perhaps, for example, you could keep track of their pre-spending XP total so you can know their effective level for CR/EL/XP-per-encounter calculations. So if they have 3200 XP total and have spent 500, their CR level is 3 but their class level is still 2.

Samothdm

First Post
Thanks, Kenjib. I think that's a good way to go.

What I'm getting at, though, is, how do you set "how much" these types of abilities should cost? That's my main question - trying to figure out how much a certain ability is "worth" in terms of an XP cost or whatever (that will eventually be added into the overall CR of the character).

So, whether you "pay" the XP, or just have the cost of the ability add to your overall XP for determining CR, you still have to figure out what the ability "costs".

woodelf

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
I've honestly considered a freeform version of D&D where you remove the classes and assign an XP cost to all feats, skill points, abilities, ability score increases, (formerly) class abilities, increases in BAB, etc... It would be hard to balance, but I'm sure I could do it if I really tried.

I'm pretty certain that, with a couple of the optional rules, BESM D20 does this. Basically everything but BAB/saves is already point-costed by default, and i think they have an optional rule for purchasing those, too.

Yair

Community Supporter
I have made a similar option available to my players, and faced the same problem. Basically, I decided I wanted to enable the player to "replicate" any magic-item ability (i.e. to "make" a magic item that requires no slots) of up tp 200,000 gp worth (i.e. non-Epic) - and worked out the system accordingly. While my system does not entirely ignore gp price, it makes actually paying the gp redundant, and I do consider it balanced without paying anything at all... just much less flavourful.
The price I can out with is sligtly steep; you may want to consider a lower one. But I think it sets the right benchmark - decide how much "base price" you want your PCs to be able to pack, and calculate accordingly.

I post my system below, for comparison's sake. Keep in mind this is meant to be a system of granting dark gifts as boons by archfiends, but you can adapt it wasily. I based it on the aforementioned Dragon article, and on the Evil sourcebook (by AEG).
I hope you like it...

Dark Pacts and Gifts
To allow for more freedom in making characters, I have decided to construct the concept of a “Dark Pact” and “dark gifts”. Mechanically, the Dark Pact functions much like an item creation feat, enchanting the effects (“dark gifts”) into the soul of the character. In-game, the dark pact represents swearing alleigiance to an archfiend, and the dark gifts are boons granted by him. The idea is fleshed out below, in the form of the new feat.

Dark Pact [General]
You have made a pact with an archfiend, and have pledged your allegiance and soul to him.
Prerequisite: Evil alignment.
Benefit: You may now, at any time, plea before the archfiend to grant you a specific dark gift. This requires supplicating the archfiend for 1 day per 1,000 gp of the base price of the dark gift. The supplication is often, though not always, augumented by ritual sacrifices. If you wish to speed up the process a sacrifice with a DC of 25 will suffice for an immediate response. At the end of this period, the archfiend will reveal itself to you in some manner (directly, by proxy, by vision, or by omens) and you may bargain with him. Roleplay the bargaining with the DM.
The precise price you must pay for the dark gift is dependant on your bargain, as is the time you must pay at. Itt should be based on the gift’s “market price”, but bargaining can greatly lower or increase this basic amount. The archfiends care little for actual money, so the price should be devoted or converted towards some work that furthers their aims – perhaps the raising of a temple, or the acquiring of a certain magic item, raw materials, or simply a stack of souls. The archfiends are particularly inclined to grant gifts in return to quests and commitments, and are notorious for requesting something minor that only later is discovered to be immensely important. Otherwise, they generally demand payment in advance, only granting the gift after you have fulfilled your side of the bargain.
To determine the base price, treat the dark gift as you would a magic item that duplicates the dark gift’s effects, and requires no item slots. The base price may not exceed 200,000 gp; such powerful boons are beyond even archfiends. Like magic items, the “market price” would also include any material components required by prerequsite spells. Regardless of the material or other cost agreed upon, the character must always pay 1/10 of the base price cost in XP; any XP costs required by prerequisite spells should also be added. In no case can a character spend enough XP to lower his character level.
Unlike magic-item crafting feats, you need not possess any prerequisites to “create” the magic item; the archfiend is assumed to take care of this. Even if the dark gift is based on a spell, the effect can be a Spell-like, Supernatural, or Extraordinary ability. In addition to its fundamental effect, each dark gift also has a drawback of some kind.
The DM is the final arbiter on what abilities the demon lord can and is willing to grant, and their precise mechanics and drawbacks.
Some examples of dark gifts follow.
Sacrifices
By including sacrifices in their supplication, characters can greatly lower the price in XP or the “market price” of the dark gift. In general, the success of each sacrifice is determined by a Knowledge (Religion) check, with some circumstancial modifiers (a +9 is feasible).
A character may conduct several sacrifices each day, but only the highest-result is rewarded. The character must state a chosen DC prior to making the checks; this DC has a minimum of 15 for xp or 20 for gp. If he sacrifices 20 lifes in a single day, he can take 20 on the check. If he managed to reach the DC, he may choose DC x 1 as dark XP or DC x 10 as dark gp; these dark XP or gp lower the XP or gp costs the character would otherwise pay.
Again, the precise circumstantial modifiers and other rules governing sacrifices are detailed elsewhere.
Souls
By using the trap the soul or soul bind spells a spellcaster can develop a stock of souls. Another way to trasnfer souls is by turning them into incorporeal undead under the command or cotnrol of the character, albeit this has its logistical difficulties; shadows are most often used in this manner. Once the character has souls, he can barter them as part of the bargaining; each soul should remove some 50 gp from the market price.
Note that the trap the soul or soul bind spells require a focus in the form of a gem worth 1,000 gp per hit die. These gems are reusable, but each can contain only one soul. Create Undead consumes a black onyx gem worth 50 gp per hit die, but often a single shadow can create a legion if given the means.
Special: To gain this feat, a character needs to draw the attention of an archfiend to herself. A sacrifice of DC 40+ to the archfiend, a limited wish, or any particularly vile act made to honor him will generally suffice; the DM is the final arbiter of this. Once drawn, the archfiend’s attention can easily be turned to wrath, so be careful what you wish for. Often, the first dark gift is bargained for when the Dark Pact is gained.
For these purposes, an archfiend is defined as a demon prince or archdevil; Evil deities may also be able to grant dark gifts, but generally avoid doing so.
You may make a dark pact with only one archfiend; you may never again make a dark pact with any other. When you die, your soul will go to its afterlife at the archfiend’s demesne; you may not trade your soul to any other as it is already destined to him. Some of your dark gifts may be left behind in the mortal world, imbued into parts of your body or equipment, as minor artifacts.
Note: Most dark gifts are based on spells. In general, the market price of a command-word activated wondrous magic item that requires no item slots, for being able to cast the spell at will or for a continuous effect, is spell level x caster level x 2,000 x 2. Such a dark gift will usually be an extraordinary ability for a continuous effect, or a supernatural ability for casting at will. If the dark gift is of a spell-like ability, calculate as if the magic item is use-activated (1,800 instead of 2,000). For 1/day, divide by 5; for N/day multiply by N/5. For mechanical purposes (such as save DC), the spell is cast as if by a sorcerer (of the set caster level). Normally, treat the spell as it appears on the sorcerer spell list; some spells may be better treated as they appear on the druid or cleric spell lists.

Examples
For comparison, consider the Ritual of Black Charms detailed in the Lords of Darkness accessory for the Forgotten Realms (published by Wizards of the Coast): the recipient can cast charm person and suggestion 1/day as a sorcerer of 5th level, for 1,600 XP. We would peg it as 1x5x1,800/5+3x5x1,800/5=1800+5400=7,200 x2 no space limitation=14,400 gp/10=1,440 XP. The result is similar to the official one. The 1/10 factor was also determined to allow the creation of items of up to 200,000 gp value (at non-epic character levels).

Alternate Self [Dark Gift]
You have gained something of the succubus’s knack for self-transformation.
Benefit: As a supernatural ability and a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, 1/day, you can assume any humanoid shape of size Small to Large. This ability is otherwise similar to polymorph self as cast by a level 8 sorcerer.
Drawback: While the new form can match your desire, it always contains some mark of its fiendish origins (small horns, protruding back-bones, a strange birthmark, etc.). Unless properly hidden, a successful Spot check (usually DC 20) will identify you as fiend-touched. Depending on your disguise, you may receive a lesser bonus to any disguise check.
XP Cost: 1,728
Price Breakdown: polymorph self is a 4th level spell; I deem this a 3rd level spell. Accordingly, the cost would be 3x8x1,800x2/5 = 17,280 gp / 10 = 1,728 XP.

Claws / Fangs [Dark Gift]
You gain sharp claws for fingers or sharp fangs for teeth.
Benefit: The character’s hands becomes taloned, or his mouth develops sharp fangs. For a medium sized creature, the talons do 1d6 and the fangs 1d4 damage. The character is considered armed even when unarmed, and is proficient with the use of these natural weapons. He can attack with a bite as an off-hand attack (in lieu of another, not in addition to!). The claws or fangs are a natural extension of your body (and extraordinary ability doesn’t quite describe it).
Special: You may take this dark gift twice: once for fangs, and once for claws. For characters of non-medium size, alter the damage dice as normal.
Drawback: You draw a –4 circumstantial penalty to Diplomacy checks against those who notice and care; you also gain a +2 circumstance bonus to Intimidate them, however.
XP Cost: 400.
Price Breakdown: claws of the beast is a 1st level druid spell; I’ll treat it as 1st level too. The cost is hence 1x1x2,000x2=4,000 gp/10 = 400 XP.

Command My Minions [Dark gift]
You can command the undead.
Prerequisite: must have made a Dark Pact with the demon prince of the undead.
Benefit: You can command undead as per the command undead spell (which you cast as a 10th level sorcerer), up to 3 times per day. This is a spell-like ability.
Drawback: When commanding undead, you do so in the name of the dark prince and in Abyssal. If the undead is aligned with another evil deity or power (such as an undead created by a priest of an evil deity), it receives a +4 circumstance bonus to his save; unintelligent undead are still automatically affected.
XP Cost: 4,320.
Price Breakdown: command undead is a 2nd level spell, so this costs = 2x10x1,800x2x3/5 = 43,200 gp /10 for XP=4,320 XP.

Commune [Dark Gift]
When in need, you can contact the dark lord himself, begging him for answers.
Benefit: Once per week, you can contact outer plane to your dark lord’s demense, and beseech his answers. You may ask up to 5 questions. The archfiend is effectively a demigod, but the DM is the arbiter of his answers.
Drawback: The spell harbors its own drawbacks. Furthermore, if you your Int roll on a natural 1, you have angered the archfiend so much that you have fallen from his grace. Until you somehow repent yourself (perhaps by sacrifice), you cannot acquire any more dark gifts.
XP Cost: 1,800.
Price Breakdown: contact other plane is a level 5 spell, making it cost 5x10x1,800 x2 /10= 18,000 gp /10 = 1,800 XP.

Dance of Ruin [Dark Gift]
You have gained something of the vrock’s “dance of ruin” ability.
Benefit: As a spell-like ability with a casting time of one full round, you can make a dance of ruin. If successful, a wave of crackling energy causes 2d20 damage to every non-demon within 45’. For this purpose, a half-fiend or fiendish creature of demonic descent or a demonic half-breed such as a tiefling is considered a demon. Affected creatures receive a Reflex saving throw (DC 12 + your Cha modifier) to halve the damage.
Drawback: The dance, if successful, leaves you mentally exhausted. You may not cast spells or activate spell-like abilities and automatically fail any concentration check for the next two rounds; any intelligence-, wisdom- or charisma-based roll is at a –4 penalty.
XP Cost: 2,880.
Price Breakdown: dance of ruin is a 2nd level spell, and is cast at 4th caster level. The command-word activated spell (no charges) costs spell 2x4x1,800x2 = 28,800 gp /10 = 2,880 XP.

Darkvision [Dark Gift]
You gain darkvision.
Benefit: You gain darkvision to 60’ as an Exceptional ability. If you already have innate darkvision, it’s range is increased by 60’.
Special: You may take this dark gift several times, up to a maximum of 240’.
Drawback: Your eyes glow in reflected light, like those of a cat.
XP Cost: 3,200.
Price Breakdown: darkvision is a 2nd level spell, making the base price 2x4x2,000x2 = 32,000 gp /10 =3,200 XP.

Dark Assurance [Dark Gift]
The dark powers bless you with great insight in the field of battle.
Benefit: Up to 1/day, you can enjoy the benefits of a true strike as a free (supernatural) action, gaining a +20 insight bonus to an attack roll.
Drawback: At the completion of the true strike (i.e. after one round) you are left confused at the loss of divine inspiration. Your other attack rolls are at a –4 circumstance penalty for 1d4 rounds; this penalty does not apply to further dark-assurance inspired attacks, however.
XP Cost: 4,000.
Price Breakdown: true strike is a 1st level spell, quickened it becomes a 5th level spell, for a base price of 5x10x2,000x2/5 = 40,000 gp /10 = 4,000 XP.

Demon Wings [Dark Gift]
You gain a pair of demonic, bat-like wings.
Benefit: You can now fly at a movement base of 30’ (poor). This is an Extraordinary (i.e. natural) ability.
Drawback: The demonic wings are obvious, and render most armor useless. You can still wear mithral chain shirt, leather armors, and possibly other light armors with little or no modification. Heavier armor would require special modification; most magical armor is useless to you.
Price Breakdown: alter self is a 2rd level spell that allows this, even if for 1 hour or so. We actually need less, but still a 2nd level sounds right. This brings us to 2x4x2,000 x2 = 32,000 gp /10 = 3,200 XP.

Demon’s Eye [Dark Gift]
You can see in darkness, even magical one.
Prerequisites: Darkvision 60’
Benefit: You can see in complete darkness to 30’ as if there were normal illumination, even under magical darkness. This is an Exceptional ability.
Drawback: Your eyes become distorted and unnatural, like those of demon.
XP Cost: 7,200.
Price Breakdown: devil’s eyes is a level 3 spell, making it cost 3x6x2,000 x2 = 72,000 gp /10 = 7,200 XP.

Energy Immunity [Dark Gift]
You gain an immunity to electricity damage. (This is an Exceptional ability.)
Drawback: Along with the immunity to lightning, you are also infused with it. Small lightning bolts constantly dance around you, static electricity follows you, or so on. This effect is generally too small to notice, but when you get excited it tends to get more severe (although never enough to do damage or something like that).
XP Cost: 7,840.
Price Breakdown: energy immunity is a 7th level spell that lasts 24 hours. This brings us to 7x14x2,000 x2 /5 = 78,400 gp /10 = 7,840 XP.

Energy Resistance [Dark Gift]
You gain a cold, fire, or acid resistance 20. (This is an Exceptional ability.)
Drawback: Your skin changes to accommodate the new resistance. A cold resistance results in a thicker, possibly hairier, skin. Fire resistance results in red, or at least redder, skin. Acid resistance results in rubbery or oily skin.
XP Cost: 4,000.
Special: You can choose this dark gift multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time, choose a different energy type. You may not choose other energy types.
Price Breakdown: energy immunity is a 7th level spell that lasts 24 hours; it stands to reason that resistance 20 would be a lesser effect – say, a level 5 spell. This brings us to 5x10x2,000 x2 /5 = 40,000 gp /10 = 4,000 XP.

Enormous Size [Dark Gift]
Infused with dark power, you become much larger than you once were.
Benefit: The character increases one size category. The effects of this change on your strength, dexterity, constitution, and natural armor are detailed in the monster manual. You also gain new size modifiers as per the player’s handbook.
Drawback: You become bloated and obese with power. Your weight is the maximum weight in your size category. Due to your larger size, you may have some difficulty acquiring or using some equipment.
XP Cost: 20,000.
Price Breakdown: righteous might is a 5th level cleric spell, we’ll use it as such for a cost of 5x10x2,000x2 = 200,000 gp /10 = 20,000 XP.

Immortality [Dark Gift]
You will never grow old, although you may still die from other causes.
Benefit: You are ageless. You are immune to all aging effects, and will never gain or lose any more modifiers to your ability scores due to aging. You will never die of old age.
Drawback: You find it harder to learn new things. You receive a –20% penalty to any XP gained.
XP Cost: 17,000.
Price Breakdown: The most elusive gift, this should I believe be available, but only at the extreme levels. Purely out of metagame reasons, I believe level 17 would be appropriate as a minimum, thus requiring a cost of 17,000 XP.

Phantom Steed [Dark Gift]
You are blessed with an unholy mount, much like a blackguard.
Benefit: You gain a phantom steed, as per the spell cast by a 14th level sorcerer. The steed obeys you, and can remain with you indefinitely. You may dismiss it at will. If it is dismissed or killed, you can summon another one on the next day. The steed is considered a Called creature and thus cannot be dispelled, but it is still subject to dismissal and similar spells.
Drawback: As part of the bonding between you and the phantom steed, you vow never to ride another mount. If you ever do, you may no longer ride the phantom steed (although you may gain another as another dark gift). This applies to any mount, including dragons, nightmares, and so on. Summoning the steed is a standard spell-like action.
XP Cost: 4,032.
Price Breakdown: phantom steed is a 3rd level spell, 4th when extended, at 14th spellcaster level this comes out to be 4x14x1,800 x 2 /5= 40,320 gp/10 = 4,032 XP.

Poison Immunity [Dark Gift]
You gain an immunity to poison (This is an Exceptional ability.)
Drawback: You lose your sense of taste. Everything you eat is tasteless and dour.
XP Cost: 12,800.
Price Breakdown: neutralize poison is a 4th level spell, for a cost of 4x8x2,000 x2 = 128,000 gp /10 = 12,800 XP.

Profane Ability [Dark Gift]
You gain one of the rarest and treasured blessings of the dark lords: increasing in an ability score by profane means.
Benefit: You gain a +1 profane bonus to an ability score of your choice.
Drawback: The dark forces that twisted your psyche or body did not leave you unscarred. Choose one other ability score; both ability scores must be physical (Dex, Con, or Str) or mental (Cha, Int, or Wis). This score is permanently reduced by 1. This is an inherent change, rather than a penalty, and as such no magic can undo it.
XP Cost: 2,000 for +1, 8,000 for +2, or 18,000 for +3.
Special: This dark gift can be taken multiple times, each time increasing the bonus. You need only pay for the difference. Higher profane bonuses are not possible, at least through a dark gift.
Price Breakdown: at x2x10 the cost of an ability enhancement bonus, this bonus costs 12x1,000x20- = 20,000 gp /10 = 2,000 XP, for +2 it is 22x1,000x20 = 80,000 gp /10 = 8,000 XP, for +3 32x1,000x20 = 180,000 gp /10 = 18,000 XP.

Scary Quintessence [Dark Gift]
You are blessed by the dark powers with a frightful presence. The mere sight of you brings lesser men to their knees.
Prerequisites: Character level (or hit die) 6+.
Benefit: Any creature of 5 HD or less that sees you at 30’ or less must make a Will save (DC 11 + your Cha modifier) or be Shaken. Even if it succeeds, if it comes within 15’ of you it must make another save or become Panicked. Creatures with more than 5HD/levels are not affected. This is a supernatural ability.
Drawback: This dark gift has its in-built drawbacks.
Price Breakdown: scare is 1st level spell, I judge this effect as 2nd level; so the cost would be 2x4x2,000x2 = 32,000 gp / 10 = 3,200 XP.

Sense My Minions [Dark Gift]
You can sense the presence of undead.
Prerequisite: must have made a Dark Pact with the demon prince of the undead.
Benefit: You sense the presence of undead within 60’ of you. By concentrating, you can determine more details, as per the detect undead spell (PH p. 194). If “blinded” by overpowering auras, you regain the ability only after 10 minutes. Sensing the existence of undead is not an action, but concentrating to reveal more information is a spell-like ability.
Drawback: Whenever the character senses undead around her, she is filled with a slight taste of the demon prince’s rage. Any attempt to calm her down or dispute her authority or word are at a –2 penalty.
XP Cost: 400.
Price Breakdown: detect undead is a 1st level spell, making the base price 1x1x2,000x2 = 4,000 gp /10 for XP=400.

Soul Devourer [Dark Gift]
You can literally devour the souls of your enemies.
Benefit: By performing a coupe de grace, you are able to 1/day trap the soul of the downed foe. The soul is “placed” within your heart, and will only be released if you die, or if you choose to release it before that. Souls can be used as currency between fiends, and can serve instead of gp for magic item creation. In addition, you gain the effects of a death knell. If the target’s HD exceeded twice your own, he is immune to the effect.
Drawback: Each time you use this ability, there is a 1% chance per soul within you to attract the attention of a demon, who will come (sooner or later) to claim the souls.
Special: The dark gift may be taken multiple times. Each time adds one more time per day.
XP Cost: 9,216.
Price Breakdown: trap the soul is a level 8 spell, making it cost 8x16x1,800 x2 /5 = 92,160 gp /10 = 9,216 XP. Note the spell also requires a material component worth 1,000 gp x HD; 20,000 gp should do.

Spores of the Vrock [Dark Gift]
You have gained something of the vrock’s spores special ability.
Benefit: You can release a mass of spores from your body as a free action (this is an Exceptional ability). The spores deal 1d8 points of damage on the first round to any target within 5’, and then burrow and grow, dealing 1d2 points of damage per round for the next 10 rounds. At the end of this time, the victim is covered with a tangle of viny growths. A delay poison spell stops the spore’s growth for its duration. Bless, neutralize poison or remove disease kills the spores, as does sprinkling them with holy water.
Drawback: You are covered by such viny growths yourself. They cannot be removed by any mortal means, but a bless, neutralize poison, remove disease, or holy water will temporarily abate them for 1 round. After this round, the spores within you will regrow, causing 1d2 points of damage per round for the next 10 rounds. The spores confer a –6 circumstance penalty to Diplomacy and other social checks (whenever the DM decides the penalty applies).
Price Breakdown: spores of the vrock is a 2nd level cleric spell, I’ll treat it as 2nd level. As such, it would cost 2x4x2,000 x2 = 32,000 gp /10 = 3,200 XP.

Spell Resistance [Dark Gift]
You gain spell resistance 13.
Special: You may take this dark gift several times, each time increasing the SR by +1, up to a maximum of SR 20.
Drawback: You become slightly insensitive to magic. You receive a –2 (non-cumulative) circumstance penalty to Spellcraft checks to analyze active magic.
XP Cost: 2,000.
Price Breakdown: (SR-12)x10,000 x2 = 20,000 gp /10= 2,000 XP.

Summon Demon [Dark Gift]
You can summon demons to fight for you.
Benefit: You can cast summon monster V 1/day, bringing forth 1d4+1 dretch to attack your foes. This is a spell-like ability.
Drawback: There is a 10% the summoned fiends will attack you or your allies instead.
XP Cost: 3,600.
Price Breakdown: summon monster V is a 5th level spell, so it costs 5x10x1,800 x2 /5 = 36,000 gp /10 = 3,600.

Summon Undead [Dark Gift]
You can summon undead to fight for you.
Benefit: You can cast summon undead V 1/day, bringing forth 1d4+1 ghouls, 1d2 Allips or ghasts, or 1 shadow or wight to attack your foes. This is a spell-like ability.
Drawback: There is a 10% the summoned undead will not obey you, and act of their own accord.
XP Cost: 3,600.
Price Breakdown: summon undead V is a 5th level spell, so it costs 5x10x1,800 x2 /5 = 36,000 gp /10 = 3,600.

Telepathy [Dark Gift]
You can communicate telepathically.
Benefit: You can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100’. The creature hears what words you wish to send him, and you can hear any words anyone within 100’ directs at you. You cannot otherwise sense thoughts; only thoughts directed at you can be “heard”. This is a language-dependant supernatural ability (used as a free action).
Drawback: Small horns sprout from your skull. In time, these will grow into full demonic horns.
XP Cost: 12,800.
Price Breakdown: I guesstimate this as equivalent to a 4th level spell, for a cost of 4x8x2,000x2 = 128,000 gp /10 = 12,800 XP.

Tongues [Dark Gift]
You know any mortal language.
Benefit: You gain the ability to understand any intelligent creature’s language, as per the tongues spell. This is an Extraordinary ability. If you have telepathic abilities, you can communicate with any intelligent creature in his language.
Drawback: You become slightly insane with the infinite multitude of languages floating in your head. You receive a –4 penalty to any attempt to communicate with another creature, as fragments of other languages creep into your conversation (often ones of long-dead languages far removed from mortal memory). This is even more pronounced when you write things down.
XP Cost: 7,200.
Price Breakdown: tongues is a level 3 spell, making it cost 3x6x2,000 x2 = 72,000 gp /10 = 7,200 XP.

Unholy Aura [Dark Gift]
Blessed by the dark powers, you can shroud yourself in an unholy aura.
Benefit: 1/day, you may cast unholy aura as a spell-like ability, like a 16th level sorcerer.
Drawback: Small horns sprout from your skull. In time, these will grow into full demonic horns.
Special: You may take this dark gift several times. Each time adds one casting per day.
XP Cost: 9,216.
Price Breakdown: unholy aura is an 8th level cleric spell, for a cost of 8x16x1,800x2 /5=92,160 gp /10= 9,216 XP.

Remove ads