D&D 5E Experimental Concentration Spell Stacking Houserule

Stalker0

Legend
I've long had a long/hate relationship with Concentration in 5e. On the one hand, as a martial lover, I definitely see the balance that concentration has brought. On the other, as a DM I have watched many a player show up with spellcasters with the same spells over and over again because they don't want to put anything less in their "precious concentration slot".

So I've been meaning to try a middle ground for a while. I've settled on this, which I've just introduced to my group. Thoughts are welcome, and I'll have follow up thoughts as I see it in play. One last note, I don't allow a lot of multiclassing in my group, so I don't have to worry about any corner cases this system might cause with multi-class characters. I also generally don't do levels past 10th or 11th in my games, so I don't have to worry about high level interactions as much either.

Focus System

Concentration Spells are now divided into two groups: Concentration and "Focus".

All classes with spellcasting gain Focus slots = to their proficiency modifier. Casting spells with the Focus or Concentration keyword use these slots, which work as follows:

0 Slots - Spells without Focus or Concentration Keyword
1 Slot - Spells with Focus Keyword
2 Slot - Spells with Focus Keyword that are the highest level spell you can cast
2 Slot - Concentration Spells

As long as you have slots, you can cast and maintain multiple spells. If you had 4 slots (at higher level), you could even maintain 2 concentration spells at once.

Warlocks: Because they always cast at their highest level as a class benefit, their focus spells always cost 1 slot.

Concentration/Focus and Disruption: Concentration is still disrupted just like before. If you happen to have multiple concentration spells on you, there is still only 1 check made (on a failure, all concentration spells are lost). Focus spells cannot be disrupted, but are lost if target is incapacitated or killed.

Quick Example
So just to show a quick example:

A 7th level caster has 3 focus slots. He could maintain any of the following combinations.
1) 3 focus spells of 3rd level or lower.
2) 1 focus spell at 4th and 1 focus spell of 3rd level or lower.
3) 1 concentration spell, and 1 focus spell of 3rd level or lower.

Spells - Concentration vs Focus

Spells are assessed on a case by case basis. As a general guideline, I will keep spells as Concentration if its a key part of their power balance (Banishment, Polymorph) or the spell is designed as a "channeling type" spell (Witch Beam, Call Lightning, Hex, Summons).

Generally more offensive spells are likely to be concentration, and more buff/defensive spells are focus.

Examples
Hex / Hunter's Mark - Concentration
Polymorph - Concentration
Enhance Ability - Focus
Shield of Faith - Focus
Blur - Focus
Bless - Concentration (because bless is just stupidly good)

tommybahama

Adventurer
Your system seems complex but I'm interested in hearing how it works for your group. I'm guessing it's too OP.

Here's a simpler idea: create a feat called Dual Caster that allows them to cast two concentration spells but only control one per turn. So if they cast two flaming spheres they can only move one one their turn. You could also rule that they can't cast a cantrip that turn if they control/change the effects of one of their two concentration spells. This seems like it would be simpler and more balanced to me.

Shiroiken

Legend
You idea seems complicated, but it might work if your group is willing to put in the effort to learn it. The biggest issue is going to be tracking it, as well as reworking every spell to be either Focus or Concentration.

I agree that the number of concentration spells is too high, but mostly because several spells shouldn't have it IMO. As a fan of spellcasters, I've learned to balance the number of concentration spells with non-concentration spells. I typically have my "go to" combat concentration spell that is expected to last for a battle. I make sure I then have non-concentration combat spells to augment my "go to" spell. Any other concentration spells I try to keep as utilitarian, specific scenario type spells, just in case they come up (such as Pass Without Trace, Fly, Invisibility, etc.).

There were a couple good suggestions here that I would throw together:
"You can concentrate on two spells at once. When concentrating on two spells at once you have disadvantage on concentration checks. Failing a concentration check ends all spells you are concentrating on."
Follow that with a friendly reminder about the action rules for 5e and you're set.

G

Guest 6801328

There were a couple good suggestions here that I would throw together:
"You can concentrate on two spells at once. When concentrating on two spells at once you have disadvantage on concentration checks. Failing a concentration check ends all spells you are concentrating on."
Follow that with a friendly reminder about the action rules for 5e and you're set.
Not high enough stakes, IMO. I like exhaustion.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
FWIW we just allow multiple concentration spells at one time. BUT.... our DC min is 15, not 10, and when you have to make a concentration check you make separate checks for every spell you have active. If you fail ANY of the checks, ALL the spells active go down.

As such, we have PCs sometimes concentrating on two spells, very rarely do we see more than that.

Stalker0

Legend
FWIW we just allow multiple concentration spells at one time. BUT.... our DC min is 15, not 10, and when you have to make a concentration check you make separate checks for every spell you have active. If you fail ANY of the checks, ALL the spells active go down.

As such, we have PCs sometimes concentrating on two spells, very rarely do we see more than that.

i considered such a rule as well, but I also want to address the notion that some “concentration” spells I don’t think need to be disrupted, so i went with the focus concept to differentiate them

ZeshinX

Adventurer
I've been toying with outright eliminating concentration on some spells altogether. Spells like Web, Wall of X spells, Cloudkill, etc. I haven't gone there yet, it's merely a thought experiment at present. Generally things that are, more or less, "fire and forget" (or create some sort of tangible, physical barrier or effect) are ones I'd pull concentration from.

The Web spell actually started the thoughts, as honestly...it's a web. Once you've cast it, it's a web and it's there, it no longer requires you to do anything for it to be a web. I mean, sure, you can of course flavour it as you like; it takes concentration to maintain the magical energy to keep the web in existence or what have you. Perfectly reasonable, but I find my own thoughts on it (at least with Web) just as reasonable. Same thing with Wall of X spells, or cloud spells like Stinking Cloud or Cloudkill, and various others of similar nature.

For spells of a more defensive/personal nature, I'm more inclined to adhere to them having concentration (to avoid the dreaded "shields up" shenanigans of spellcasters past).

I have a similar love/hate relationship with how concentration works in 5e, to practically meme-like levels ("The number of concentration spells in 5e is too damn high!") I certainly think how it currently functions has solved more problems than it created, but as implemented has also drastically curtailed tactics with spells I've used and seen used in the past...almost to the point of robbing many spells of being inventively used (I say almost, as there's always ways to be inventive).

Consider a feat that lets you concentrate on 2 spells at once.

Checks made to maintain concentration on those spells are made with disadvantage, and if you fail a check, both spells end.

Maybe make it cause a Level of Exhaustion as well.

Remove ads