D&D General Explaining D&D classes using the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Rikka66

Adventurer
They're not really 'innate' then though right?

Sorcerers in 5e are themed by bloodline.

The only ones we have in the MCU like that are the alien races. Peter Quill actually fits it the most in GotG 2.

I think that's looking at things too granular if we're just explaining this to someone who knows MCU but doesn't know D&D and wants some quick inspiration.

To me Scarlet Witch has the vibe and image of a Warlock so that's ultimately why I went with her for that role.

It depends on the criteria we're using I don't think either is wrong.

I'm surprised no one has argued for Dr. Strange.(though I guess it helps that he studied magic to get his powers)

Replace innate with inherent.

Themed by bloodline, but the class description also cites events in their lives leading to the development of magical abilities. The PHB even specifically cites "exposure to unknown cosmic forces". And I think you have to get just as granular to explain her as a warlock as a sorcerer. Though I get your point on the vibe and image side of things.

I don't think there's any argument on Dr. Strange. Sorcerer is just a title.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
To me Scarlet Witch has the vibe and image of a Warlock so that's ultimately why I went with her for that role.

See the more I think about it the more I swap them. Cpt. Marvel as a Warlock because of her Eldritch Blasting, Scarlet Witch has very much a sorcerer theme to me.

Thor IS a god. He doesn't worship one. Don't see him as a cleric.

Thor totally worships himself at the beginning :p

He's a good example of a tempest cleric to me. You could argue some levels of Storm Herald (sea) Barbarian. The hammer focuses his power (in the MCU at least), it doesn't DO the lighting stuff.

I don't think there's any argument on Dr. Strange. Sorcerer is just a title.

Totally agreed.

Rikka66

Adventurer
Cleric is a hard one, and no one fits nicely into the role, but if I had to pick someone it would have to be Thor.
Quill would be solid for rogue as well (thief, lots of tools, clever), but he is probably the best pick you'll get for bard. Inspired choice there.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Thor IS a god. He doesn't worship one. Don't see him as a cleric. And he doesn't really cast spells. He's a fighter with a magical hammer that shoots lightning bolts out of it. He relies on magic items to do really powerful stuff. That's a fighter

He's not a god in the D&D sense though.

He is quite powerful but not as powerful as an actual god would be.

He uses his hammer as a focus for his spells. He learns to cast his spells without the hammer when it is destroyed.

He is definitely a Tempest Cleric.

aco175

Legend
I saw this a few years ago and thought it was cool.

1581122312182.png

Salthorae

I saw this a few years ago and thought it was cool.

I love those images. There are a bunch from back in 3.5 days of Fantasy Avengers. They inspired me to do a complete build of the Avengers team (first movie) back in 3.5 days. Super fun challenge.

Course, it was much easier to represent Thor as a god AND a barbarian/fighter back then what with the whole Deities & Demigods supplement and divine rank rules.

Shiroiken

Legend
Am I the only one questioning Spider-Man as a monk? I know he uses martial arts, but nothing else about him seems even vaguely monk-like. I think black panther seems more monk-like, even though he's royalty.

Salthorae

Am I the only one questioning Spider-Man as a monk? I know he uses martial arts, but nothing else about him seems even vaguely monk-like. I think black panther seems more monk-like, even though he's royalty.

You have a point about Black Panther being more "monk-like" than Spiderman. He can be a monk and royalty, he just has the Noble background is all!

Spiderman's mobility and things like slow fall and such are very Monk like. Give him Magic Initiate (Druid) and you can use Thornwhip to move around places with some DM fiat. Jump + Step of the wind can lead to some epic mobility.

Remove ads