D&D General Explaining D&D classes using the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Thor IS a god. He doesn't worship one. Don't see him as a cleric. And he doesn't really cast spells. He's a fighter with a magical hammer that shoots lightning bolts out of it. He relies on magic items to do really powerful stuff. That's a fighter

Thor is a fighter with a Hammer of Thunderbolts, and uses that unbalanced home brew Asgardian race his player round on the internet.

After Thor Ragnarok he multiclasses into Tempest cleric. We'll see what happens in Love and Thunder.

Also, does anybody else think that Old Man Steve can still kick the snot out of anybody despite being like a 110 years old?

So the question is if we must fill the role of Sorcerer with a character, which character is the best fit?

Probably Loki. He outright says he uses magic, it seems to be at least partially innate as a teeny tiny frost giant.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Damn guy you really don’t like Venom as a Marvel character,
Venom has a own movie, produced by marvel entertainment, is it enough to qualify for MCU?
Venom (2018 film) - Wikipedia

Nope. MCU is the range of movies starting with Robert Downey Jr. starring as as Tony Stark in Iron Man. As for right now it's up to 23 movies. Venom, while owned by Marvel as a character, is actually licensed to Sony (same as Spider-Man, but they have a deal or something for the MCU Spider-Man) and not part of the MCU.

That said, Venom is a good example of probably a fighter/warlock multiclass character.

Now that Disney owns Fox we'll see more sorcerer types in the X-Men. I can 100% see Magneto being a metal theme sorcerer of some kind.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Thor is a fighter with a Hammer of Thunderbolts, and uses that unbalanced home brew Asgardian race his player round on the internet.

After Thor Ragnarok he multiclasses into Tempest cleric. We'll see what happens in Love and Thunder.

Also, does anybody else think that Old Man Steve can still kick the snot out of anybody despite being like a 110 years old?

Well, the lore in the movie is that it was him calling the lightning all along. His hammer is themed specifically as a spellcasting focus in the MCU and since that is directly a thing in 5e it should map.

Probably Loki. He outright says he uses magic, it seems to be at least partially innate as a teeny tiny frost giant.

Yeah, Loki for sure. Though his bloodline and powers would make no sense mapped to D&D. Frost Giant bloodline but has special illusion powers.

I was trying to stick to the main heroes as much as possible.

Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch are close enough to Sorcerer that I think that is fair representation there.

What we are really lacking is Monk, and to a lesser degree Ranger.

I put Hawkeye as a Ranger but he is actually a Fighter. It's just if I had to choose someone for Ranger it would be him. Someone suggested Rocket too.

Wong is the closest thing we have to a Monk I think. Mechanically Spider-Man does okay there.

Laurefindel

Legend
Here is my take of which character best fits each class.

Artificer: Iron Man
Barbarian: Hulk
Bard: Peter Quill/Star Lord
Cleric: Thor
Druid: Ant-Man
Fighter: Gamora
Monk: Spider-Man
Paladin: Captain America
Ranger: Hawkeye
Rogue: Black Widow
Sorcerer: Captain Marvel
Warlock: Scarlet Witch
Wizard: Dr. Strange

Those are good picks. Obviously, the MCU characters usually have a narrower set of abilities than D&D character, but from a « take a class that gives you the abilities you want to recreate » stand point, as opposed to a « take a class whose core definition is closest of the character », it works.

Captain America is a good fit for Paladin, both in righteousness and abilities, capable of the ocasional « smite » and leader auras. Many Paladin spells can emulate the shield. And clearly not an OD&D one, he associates with a thief(rogue)!

iron man as artificer is a no brainer. So is dr. Strange as wizard. Quill as bard is a pleasant epiphany. Dance-off! Hulk barbarian, well yeah. Black widow as a rogue is quintessential.

i like Thor as cleric, but more the self buffs type, not the healer. He’d make a remarkable 3e cleric... Black Panther is a monk. Spider-Man, more on that later.

Ant-man. Changes size, ‘summons’ ants, speaks to them... yeah, Druid works. With criminal background.

I’m not sure to what extent Hawk-Eye is a Ranger... could be a fighter too. But he’s got specialized arrowheads, seems resourceful. Ok, hunter ranger it is. Gamora is more fighter-y at any case.

Scarlet Witch seems more limited than Marvel, and relies more on at-will attacks. That’s a warlock in action. Marvel gets sorcerer.

thats for classes, but leaves poor Spider-Man out. Well, he’s in and out of MCU anyway... So, Spider-Man has an iconic danger-sense ability, shoots web (as spell), and swing on web (short-burst flying ability?) and does acrobatics. He’s hard to case as a D&D character. So lets make it the archetypical multi class. Dange-sense is barbarian. Actually, he’s the elusive Dex-barbarian build (eagle totem). Then he multi classes as sorcerer for spider walk and web. So he can « rage » to soak damage and resist doc octopus’ grapple better, but then he’s grounded (can’t cast spell). Weird build, but he’s a bit of an oddball character himself.

Remove ads