D&D 5E Extending the 'cast it one year in succession and said effect is permanent until dispelled' Mechanic

Inanity

Explorer
If you exclude cantrips, spells with targets, and spells with range of self, I'm left with:

Cantrips are AUTO dispelled in most case...

Concerning spiritual weapon... the spell does have a build in limit though, (i) you need to use a bonus action to get one attack it stands to reason that even if one has two spiritual weapons active they could only attack with one using that bonus action AND (ii) spiritual weapn lasts untifor the duration or until you cast the spell again... I dont see it that powerful to have a range atttack at the power level of spiritual weapon (i.e. where the damage scales like spiritual weapon_) that requires a bonus action... not that op...

Inanity

Explorer
As a note: the cast in 'the same and relevant way' clause (e.g. you cast teleporation in THE SAME SPOT etc.) is intended to do some work in limiting the spell... yeah you cast charm person SUCCESSFULLY 365 days in a row on the same creature well that makes sense... yes this leads to the possibility of thousands of thralls (what? are you at most permanently enthralling, about 50 creatures a year, 50 spell slots a day using all spell slots to charm people for years and years and yeah you have thousands of friends (and may have an uprising if dispel or antimagic or disjunction is cast!)... this could explain alot of in game enemy behavior and potential... I run through the other spells on the list and find creation to be the most abusable really (but ill have to reread)

I dont know the more I think about it the more I like the idea of such kinds of effects if only to be able to exp[lain enemy machinations using official mechanics...

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Xanathar's adds druid grove and snare which seem fine. Nominally soul cage but I don't see how that could actually be done. And tiny servant, which could be exploitable if you made an army of them.

There was an anthology of stories similar to Thief's World, but where a person's skill at magic depended on the length of time their mother was in labor. As a consequence, all long term spells had a maximum duration of one year, and renewal required on the magician's birthday.

I like the idea of having magic that once rolling, needs a yearly renewal or maintenance. It's effectively permanent. But rather than make it wholly so, I would have it renewed annually. It adds a mythic flair, I think.

Inanity

Explorer
Xanathar's adds druid grove and snare which seem fine. Nominally soul cage but I don't see how that could actually be done. And tiny servant, which could be exploitable if you made an army of them.

Right but the game already facilitates (enemies at least) being able to amassing an army (hirelings, homunculus, etc.) and the flavor of using your own magic to create an army of tiny minions seems to be there (also i dont think tiny servants get attacks)

(i am I guess assuming that these rules would be used mostly in a high level or at least high-powered campaign; where money isnt exactly a worry so amassing an army ought to be at least accessible, in the future, for the players... really if the players dedicated a year of in game time to amass an army for a cause, well i imagine they COULD succeed... I dont know though and am still workshopping this idea and I appreciate the thoughtful response!

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Tiny servants attack at +5, deal 1d4+3 bludgeoning.

Whether an army of them breaks anything isn't obvious, but it would clearly work better than say animate dead which is the same level.

Actually though it would take centuries to make an army, since you could only make permanent a handful per year. Plenty of npcs have centuries, but probably pretty unlikely for a PC to take advantage.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Hi All, One of the coolest mechanics in 5e is the spell mechanic that essentially makes a spell effect permanent if said spell is cast a certain number of days in a row (this mechanic has precedent in other editions but 5e has integrated the mechanic more robustly than other editions as far as I am concerned, and the mechanic works great with new concentration). Anyway, my suggestion:

EVERY spell that that both, (i) has a duration other than instantaneous and (ii) does not require concentration, can be cast (in the same, and relevant way) every day for one year and become permanent until dispelled.

This mechanic is cool for RP reasons (making castles and building/fortifying stuff, etc.) and has some cool but not OP in combat uses (having mirror image up until dispelled is cool, but not game breaking, etc...).. Of course some spells may be abusable and I dont know lll have to reread the spells. And of course a year may be a long in game time period so this may onyly be functionally useful for certain kinds of (maybe high level) campaigns... Any thoughts?

Where does this mechanic come from?

Inanity

Explorer
Tiny servants attack at +5, deal 1d4+3 bludgeoning.

Ahh I was thinking of invisible servants...

Anway using a 9th level spell you get 11 servants for 8 hours... do this for a year and you get 11 servants permanently... lets be generous and say you can make 500 servants a day expending spell slots... 500 thralls per year (I imagine there are easier ways to get 500 weak servants than spending a year to do so... anyway one can already cast tiny servant using glyph of warding and functionally get the same effect 9I think it is a spell one can place in a gyplh_

Inanity

Explorer
Where does this mechanic come from?

It is a specific mechanic that appears in some spell descriptions (usually at the end). Teleportation circle is a good example:

Teleportation Circle

Conjuration

Level: 5
Casting time: 1 Minute
Range: 10 feet
Components: V, M (rare chalks and inks infused with precious gems with 50 gp, which the spell consumes)
Duration: 1 round

As you cast the spell, you draw a 10-foot-diameter circle on the ground inscribed with sigils that link your location to a permanent teleportation circle of your choice whose sigil sequence you know and that is on the same plane of existence as you.
A shimmering portal opens within the circle you drew and remains open until the end of your next turn. Any creature that enters the portal instantly appears within 5 feet of the destination circle or in the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied.

Many major temples, guilds, and other important places have permanent teleportation circles inscribed somewhere within their confines. Each such circle includes a unique sigil sequence – a string of magical runes arranged in a particular pattern. When you first gain the ability to cast this spell, you learn the sigil sequences for two destinations on the Material Plane, determined by the DM. You can learn additional sigil sequences during your adventures. You can commit a new sigil sequence to memory after studying it for 1 minute.

You can create a permanent teleportation circle by casting this spell in the same location every day for one year. You need not use the circle to teleport when you cast the spell in this way.

Remove ads