D&D 5E Extra Reaction or extra Bonus Action?

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
It hugely depends on the class. Bonus action would be more useful for spellcasters (as there's nothing that prevents you from casting two bonus-action spells per round), but for melee battlemaster reaction would be more useful (it's not like Fighters have much use of BA anyway).

From "game-breaking" perspective, two reactions is way safer -- you'll never see something like two fireballs per round or, idk, six eldrich blasts at lvl 5.

Hm, wait. Hold action.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
FWIW we added a new feat:
1607444512904.png

And have been using it for months. It hasn't hurt anything but allowing things like Rogue two Uncanny Dodges or two OA sneak attacks can be pretty strong.

Of course, as others have said an additional Bonus Action can be very strong/useful for the right build.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
nice.
but I would rate is as a half feat IMHO.
Thanks.

I considered it, but having seen it in play for the classes who can most benefit from it, it is pretty strong. My Cleric/Rogue/Wizard being able to use both Shield and get in an OA or use Uncanny Dodge, etc. has been pretty strong.

But, for the sake of discussion, as a half feat would you give +1 to DEX or INT for this?

Stormonu

Legend
That feat is a nice idea. What about scaling it, using proficiency bonus for the number of times you can take reactions, instead of limiting it to two?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
That feat is a nice idea. What about scaling it, using proficiency bonus for the number of times you can take reactions, instead of limiting it to two?
I'm not sure it is needed for one thing. I've used two reactions often, but other than more uses of Uncanny Dodge or parrying features, I can't see much use for it.

You could always try it out. If you find three or more reactions per round as being too strong, just cut it back to two again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases