• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Extra Spell Redesigned

Darren Ravenshaw

First Post
Extra Spell [General]

Prerequisite: Spellcaster Level 3rd

Benefit: You learn an additional number of spells who’s combined spell level(oth level spells count as 1/2 level) equals your highest spell level-1.
Example a 6th level sorcerer’s highest spell level is 3 so he can learn 2 spell levels worth of spells(1-2nd, 2-1st, 1-1st and 2-0th, or 4-0th spells).

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times.

Thoughts, Comments, Ideas?

Technik4

First Post
I like it, but some socerors could use it to become far more versatile than the class (designers?) intends (esp taking it post-10th level, highest spell level is 5, so you get 4 spell levels, that could be 3 new spells (2nd and 2 1st)).

Technik

Merlion

First Post
I like this a lot. I am using a variant sorcerer of my design in my campaign but I wanted to change Extra Spell as well...I was going to just make it your highest level -1 but I like your way better, and will adopt it for my game if you dont mind.

The Sorcerer is so utterly lacking in versatility as to be crippled, and even with this it still doesnt compete with wizard versatility wise.

Darren Ravenshaw

First Post
Glad you like it and I don't mind if you use it, thats why I posted it.

One of the problems I have with Sorcerers is that at high levels they stop gainning low level spells(1st-3rd). I'm fine with being limited to the number of high level spells i can know, but I like the low level spells.

Gez

First Post
I had the same idea at the same time, for I was also wanting to change it. :)

I was thinking of modifying it that way:
You would get an extra spell at each spell level, up to your (unmodified) spellcasting ability modifier. So, a sorcerer with a Charisma of 17 would get one extra spell for spell levels 0, 1, 2, and 3. The feat could be taken only once.
If that example sorcerer is only level 3 at the time he take the feat, then of course he cannot cast spells of level 2 or higher. Therefore, he only benefits from the extra 0th and 1st spells. But when he levels up, then he knows the extra spell of level 2. And once he levels up twice more, he finally get to enjoy all his taking of the feat would give him.
If, at level 4, he increased his Charisma to 18, then his (unmodified) Charisma becomes 18. He also gets an extra level 4 spell, which he will only be able to get once he is level 8. If he puts all his ability increases in Charisma, at level 20 he will have Cha 22, giving him extra spells up to level 6.

The reason for my change is that I don't like feats whose power depends on when you take it.

Li Shenron

Legend
Mmm... I am not completely sure about this idea, let me think...

Extra Spell as in Tome & Blood wasn't great, I would like it to be changed in Complete Arcane so that you learn a spell up to your current maximum level (not level -1), but I am quite sure it won't be changed.

I totally agree that sorcerers should have a way to learn lower level spells (when they already cast high level ones) for a price lesser than a feat, but the rate you suggest sounds pretty high at first thought.

I'll try to write down all the combinations (for the moment, not considering cantrips):

@lv 4-5
one 1st spell

@lv 6-7
one 2nd spell
two 1st spell

@lv 8-9
one 3rd spell
one 2nd spell + one 1st spell
two 1st spells

@lv 10-11
one 4th spell
one 3rd spell + one 1st spell
two 2nd spells
one 2nd spell + two 1st spells
four 1st spells

@lv 12-13
one 5th spell
one 4th spell + one 1st spell
one 3rd spell + one 2nd spell
one 3rd spell + two 1st spells
two 2nd spells + one 1st spell
one 2nd spell + three 1st spells
five 1st spells

@lv 14-15
one 6th spell
one 5th spell + one 1st spell
one 4th spell + one 2nd spell
one 4th spell + two 1st spells
two 3rd spells
one 3rd spell + one 2nd spell + one 1st spell
one 3rd spell + three 1st spells
three 2nd spell
two 2nd spells + two 1st spells
one 2nd spells + four 1st spells
six 1st spells

@lv 16-17
one 7th spell
one 6th spell + one 1st spell
one 5th spell + one 2nd spell
one 5th spell + two 1st spells
one 4th spell + one 3rd spell
one 4th spell + one 2nd spell + one 1st spell
one 4th spell + three 1st spell
two 3rd spells + one 1st spell
one 3rd spell + two 2nd spells
one 3rd spell + one 2nd spell + two 1st spells
one 3rd spell + four 1st spells
three 2nd spells + one 1st spell
two 2nd spells + three 1st spells
one 2nd spells + five 1st spells
seven 1st spells

@lv 18-20
one 8th spell
one 7th spell + one 1st spell
one 6th spell + one 2nd spell
one 6th spell + two 1st spells
one 5th spell + one 3rd spell
one 5th spell + one 2nd spell + one 1st spell
two 4th spells
one 4th spell + one 3rd spell + one 1st spell
one 4th spell + two 2nd spells
one 4th spell + one 2nd spells + two 1st spells
one 4th spell + four 1st spells
two 3rd spells + one 2nd spell
two 3rd spells + two 1st spells
one 3rd spell + two 2nd spells + one 1st spell
one 3rd spell + one 2nd spell + three 1st spells
one 3rd spell + five 1st spells
four 2nd spells
three 2nd spells + two 1st spells
two 2nd spells + four 1st spells
one 2nd spell + six 1st spells
eight 1st spells

Well I think it would work, but it's a very good feat however and highly versatile. I would probably allow it in my campaign, but in that case I would restrict the amount of wands and staves available for players. In a low-magic-items settings it will be very welcome.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads