Critical Role EXU: Calamity Discussion (Spoilers)

I'm curious how much more the remaining two episodes will go into the creation of the world itself.

IIRC, it had previously been established that the gods found the world and created mortal races but were ignorant of the primordials until they appeared and attacked. Now, though, we have a character claiming that the gods knew of the primordials previously and had an agreement with them which ultimately wasn't honored, which lead to the conflict where the gods took the world from its original inhabitants.

Of course, this is Asmodeus, the self-proclaimed lord of lies, saying this.

MarkB

Legend
So much love for Mulligan's portrayal of Asmodeus in episode 2. That scene between him and Xersus(?) was just incredible.
Yeah, talk about sympathy for the Devil! And interesting to get a different perspective on the gods-vs-primordials war.

Yeah, talk about sympathy for the Devil! And interesting to get a different perspective on the gods-vs-primordials war.
How reliable that perspective is remains to be seen. Still, it was an interesting choice on Mulligan's part to portray Asmodeus as he has. It's defintely not how I'd expect D&D's equivalent to Satan to behave, but it could all just be an act.

MarkB

Legend
How reliable that perspective is remains to be seen. Still, it was an interesting choice on Mulligan's part to portray Asmodeus as he has. It's defintely not how I'd expect D&D's equivalent to Satan to behave, but it could all just be an act.
Yeah, I don't think he was deliberately lying, but for all Asmodeus' talk about how the other gods and mortals didn't get where he was coming from, he certainly didn't seem to have much of a handle on them either. So, a valuable additional perspective, but still only one facet of the truth.

I feel like it might have been better to go with a "I took up the job of testing their virtue" angle instead of a "I made some concepts to contrast their virtue." That might be too close to several RL religions, but it was a clever idea back then too!

i like it so far but i disagree that its a good introduction for those wanting to get into critical role. This doesnt really feel like dungeons and dragons or really critical role

Good
Luis Wilson-all star in this cast of characters so far. i am very familiar with critical role but not him and he exceeded my expectations. his reactions to events are great

the story so far-im interested as it feels like it should play out into a trajedy. I dont want to spoil much but im intriged in the whodunit aspect

Brennan- hes taken something not his own and made it somewhat his. i hope after this we see him again but it appears he has to travel on a plane to get there?

the bad
the begining was very jarring (i think i posted this at another point) but i wouldnt want that to be an introduction to any campaign

the regular critical role cast-i love all of the regulars but they so far on the sidelines. i think Sam has been involved all of 10 minutes in the first 8 hours . there were some great LOl moments with Travis and a NPC etc but its been few and far between. i sort of blame Brennan for this as until a certain point in episode 2 they barely talk to each other

it doesnt feel like a campaign. It actually feels like a bunch of related short stories that tie together maybe in the end. one of those movies (new years eve 2011) where theres a 100 good actors but its cameos and not full story

jgsugden

Legend
....it doesnt feel like a campaign. It actually feels like a bunch of related short stories that tie together maybe in the end. one of those movies (new years eve 2011) where theres a 100 good actors but its cameos and not full story
I am enjoying it, but it does not feel like a D&D game, yet. It feels more like a weekend LARP in that it feels like something that had a lot of preparation, has some pretty ironclad tracks for elements of it, and where people don't have enough time to find their characters.

I still think Sam is a bad guy. His character, too.

i watched the critical role D4 show. Matts comments on world building was very interesting especially how hes letting others build part of the world. This thing is way bigger than i thought

MarkB

Legend
If BLM does as I expect, we'll end this 4 part series not knowing whether we should believe Asmodeus was a victim or not ... and with him never having lied, but potentially always deceiving.
He's definitely starting to look less victim-like.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases