• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Familiar Gaining Previously Untrained Skills from Master

chengarino

First Post
I though I understood this not to be the case until I read (and re-read) the official FAQ. In the FAQ, it says:

----------

The list of familiar abilities says the familiar uses
either the skills listed for the kind of animal that the
familiar is or the master’s skills, whichever are better.
What are “better” skills? How can you compare skills?

If the master has it and the familiar doesn’t, it’s
“better,” and the familiar can use it provided that it is
physically able to do so. (It would be hard for a cat, for
example, to use a Craft skill). In this case, use the master’s
skill ranks and the familiar’s relevant ability score.

If the master and the familiar both have the same skill,
the familiar uses the master’s skill ranks, or the familiar’s,
whichever are higher.

----------

That seems to imply that the familiar can pickup skills from the master that it was not previously trained at so long it is not 'physically unable to do.'

Does that mean (for my character) that the familiar gets 'my bonus' for: tumble, escape artist, knowledge (arcana), move silently, etc.?

And if so--since my familiar and I have a telepathic link (and can speak)--doesn't that mean that my character gets TWO rolls for each of the 'physically able' skill checks? So, I get 2 spot checks ... 2 listen checks ... etc?

tim

Crothian

First Post
chengarino said:

That seems to imply that the familiar can pickup skills from the master that it was not previously trained at so long it is not 'physically unable to do.'

Correct.

Does that mean (for my character) that the familiar gets 'my bonus' for: tumble, escape artist, knowledge (arcana), move silently, etc.?[/B]

Correct

And if so--since my familiar and I have a telepathic link (and can speak)--doesn't that mean that my character gets TWO rolls for each of the 'physically able' skill checks? So, I get 2 spot checks ... 2 listen checks ... etc?

tim [/B]

Not exactly. You get one and your familiar gets one. Then if either of them see or hear something they still need to comunicate it to the other. They are not the same character. They should be treated as individuals.

Nareau

Explorer
Not sure if this was the designers' intention, but I rule that the virtual Alertness feat that familiars grant you is supposed to reflect this. You could think of it as, "My familiar is effectively always 'Aiding Another' on these checks."

chengarino

First Post
Re: Re: Familiar Gaining Previously Untrained Skills from Master

Crothian said:

Not exactly. You get one and your familiar gets one. Then if either of them see or hear something they still need to comunicate it to the other. They are not the same character. They should be treated as individuals.

That sounds correct. Then how have your campaign handle the two individuals who are telepathically linked?

On a spot chec, a telepathic call such as "WARNING: SOMETHING HIDING YONDER!" is pretty attention getting without a prolonged (speech) dialog. But, is it sufficient to remove a sneak-attack?

In a slightly less time critical check such as knowledge (or spellcraft) check, does that mean in the 'next' round (or next partial action) the familiar alerts the master? It's like a 'second' check with a near-instaneous notification.

The FAQ mentions physically limiting, not mentally limiting, as to not allow skills transfers. And on the physically limiting aspects: mephits and imps have hands ... maybe they can handle craft or even disable device? So, does that mean the rogue/wizard gets two attempts at a check where he previously gotten one?

I agree with the other post that the designers probably didn't intend for the double-anti-jepoardy effect of familiars. But, how have your groups handle it?

tim

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads