• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Familiars! What's your Homebrew ?

Amatiel

Explorer
What rules do you use for familiars. The basic rules as written for 5e seem a but limited. I have been working on some homebrew options, and came up with these two feats. Thoughts?

Familiar, Combat
Prerequisites: Ability to acquire a familiar via spell or class ability.
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]You can use your reaction to dismiss your familiar to its pocket dimension. You can summon it again as a bonus action.
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Your familiar has half its master’s total hit points (not including temporary hit points), rounded down, regardless of its actual Hit Dice.
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Your familiar uses its masters base proficiency modifier for attacks, saving throws and skill checks.
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Your familiar gains the improved evasion ability. When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Dexterity saving throw for half damage, the familiar takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw, and half damage even if it fails the saving throw.

Familiar, Improved
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Your ability to summon a servant creature such as a familiar is enhanced. You can now summon a tiny or small creature of up to CR 1 (for possible familiars see Table below).
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]As the master of a servant creature such as a familiar, you can choose two (2) of the following familiar traits. If you are a warlock with the pact of the chain class feature, you can choose one additional trait.
NOTE: When you cast the find familiar spell for a standard familiar, you also gain the boon for the familiar you summon.
[FONT=&quot]×[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Boon. Your[/FONT] familiar bestows a special boon upon its master. This ability is variable, and depends on the type of familiar.
[FONT=&quot]×[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Superior. Your familiar’s ability scores each increase by 1.
[FONT=&quot]×[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Telepathic[/FONT]. You are considered to be in contact with your familiar for the purpose of shared spells, as long as it is within 1 mile of you. You and your familiar can communicate with each other telepathically at a range of up to 1 mile.
[FONT=&quot]×[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Tough. Your familiar gains +1 hit point per character level.

Familiar
Master’s Special Boon
Armadilo
+1 AC
Bat
Adv. Perception in dim light or darkness
Blink Dog
Adv. Perception checks that rely on hearing or smell.
Cat
Exp, stealth
Dinosaur
Adv. Initiative
Dodo
Adv. Initiative
Dolphin
Exp, Swim checks
Faerie Dragon (young)
Magic resistance
Fire Snake
Resistance: fire
Flying Sword
Resistance: psychic
Fox
+2 Dex saves
Giant Wolf Spider
Web walker trait
Hawk
Adv. Perception in bright light
Hedgehog
+2 Will saves
Imp
Devil’s Sight (Magical darkness does not impede your darkvision)
Iguana
Exp, Swim checks
Koala
Exp. Climb checks
Mephit
Resistance: poison
Monkey
Exp. Acrobatics
Otter
Exp. Swim checks
Owl
Adv. Perception in dim light or darkness
Panther
Adv. Perception checks that rely on smell.
Parrot
The master learns one bonus language.
The familiar has the ability to speak one language.
Penguin
Exp. Swim checks
Pixie
Adv. On saves against being charmed and magic can’t put you to sleep.
Psuedodragon
Magic resistance
Quasit
Magic resistance
Raccoon
Exp. Sleight of Hand
Rat
+2 Con saves
Raven
Adv. On Appraise checks
The familiar has the ability to speak one language.
Red Panda
+2 Cha saves
Seal
Exp. Swim checks
Skunk
+2 Con saves
Spider
Exp, Climb checks
Sprite
Exp. Perception & Stealth
Squirrel
Exp. Sleight of Hand
Snapping Turtle
+2 Con saves
Tarantula
Exp. Survival
Turtle
+1 AC
Viper
Exp. Deception
Wallaby
Exp. Acrobatics
Weasel
+2 Dex saves

Exp. Expertise
Adv. Advantage

3y3g00

First Post
Why are some of the familiars in bold/italics? Also, wow, those boons are not balanced against each other. Magic resistance for the cost of a feat is perhaps a bit much.

Amatiel

Explorer
the bold/italics represent the familiars you can get with the feat, basically the CR 1 familiars. The others are the CR 0 ones you get with the base spell. As for magic resistance, that is actually what warlocks get with pact of the chain if they take that familiar, so I kind of thought that had to be in there.

Amatiel

Explorer
interesting. Never came across that sage advice post. So, why have a variant familiar stat if its not for warlocks? Seems wierd.

S

Sunseeker

None. I think the familiar rules are actually pretty reasonable for a change.

Having special familiars is either campaign specific or the result of in-game actions.

Li Shenron

Legend
The general idea of feats to improve/expand on the Find Familiar spell is ok.

Familiar, Combat
[FONT="]• [/FONT]You can use your reaction to dismiss your familiar to its pocket dimension. You can summon it again as a bonus action.
[FONT="]• [/FONT]Your familiar has half its master’s total hit points (not including temporary hit points), rounded down, regardless of its actual Hit Dice.
[FONT="]• [/FONT]Your familiar uses its masters base proficiency modifier for attacks, saving throws and skill checks.
[FONT="]• [/FONT]Your familiar gains the improved evasion ability. When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Dexterity saving throw for half damage, the familiar takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw, and half damage even if it fails the saving throw.

I am not 100% sure but IIRC the standard Wizard's familiar doesn't fight at all, and the Warlock's familiar fights using the PC's attack action. Therefore IMO if you want to design a feat to make the familiar more combat-oriented, you have to address that basic limitation first, otherwise with this feat as written, the Wizard's familiar still cannot fight. Otherwise I think it's ok.

Familiar, Improved
[FONT="]• [/FONT]Your ability to summon a servant creature such as a familiar is enhanced. You can now summon a tiny or small creature of up to CR 1 (for possible [B][I]familiars [/I][/B]see Table below).
[FONT="]• [/FONT]As the master of a servant creature such as a familiar, you can choose two (2) of the following familiar traits. If you are a warlock with the pact of the chain class feature, you can choose one additional trait.
NOTE: When you cast the find familiar spell for a standard familiar, you also gain the boon for the familiar you summon.
[FONT="]×[/FONT][/B][FONT="] Boon. Your[/FONT] familiar bestows a special boon upon its master. This ability is variable, and depends on the type of familiar.
[FONT="]×[/FONT][/B][B][FONT="] [/FONT]Superior. Your familiar’s ability scores each increase by 1.
[FONT="]×[/FONT][/B][B][FONT="] [/FONT][FONT="]Telepathic[/FONT][/I]. You are considered to be in contact with your familiar for the purpose of shared spells, as long as it is within 1 mile of you. You and your familiar can communicate with each other telepathically at a range of up to 1 mile.
[B][FONT="]×[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]Tough. Your familiar gains +1 hit point per character level.

I am ok with the boon idea (I didn't go through all the boons tho, so I am only commenting on the general concept).

Otherwise, I would scrap the fiddly bits here and focus on what new things you can do with this feat. So I would remove the "Superior" and "Tough" (and with their removal, there is no need for the "choose two" mechanic of this feat, just make the feat grant all the features as usual). Keep the "Boon" and fine-tune all of them to be worth. Expand on "Telepathic" to unlock something new besides the improved range, for instance you could grant the ability to cast a spell now and have the familiar deliver it later (give some max time window e.g. X hours).

Amatiel

Explorer
Thanks for the advice. Had a bit of a re-write.

Familiar, Combat
• Your familiar obeys your commands as best it can. It rolls for initiative like any other creature, but you determine its actions, decisions, attitudes, and so on. If you are incapacitated or absent, your familiar acts on its own.
• Your familiar has half its master’s total hit points (not including temporary hit points), rounded down, regardless of its actual Hit Dice.
• Your familiar uses its masters base proficiency modifier for attacks, saving throws and skill checks.
• Your familiar gains the improved evasion ability. When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Dexterity saving throw for half damage, the familiar takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw, and half damage even if it fails the saving throw.

Familiar, Improved
• Your ability to summon a servant creature such as a familiar is enhanced. You can now summon a tiny or small creature of up to CR 1 (for possible familiars see Table below).
NOTE: When you cast the find familiar spell for a standard familiar, you also gain the boon for the familiar you summon. Warlocks with pact of the chain gain this feat for free.
× Boon. Your familiar bestows a special boon upon its master. This ability is variable, and depends on the type of familiar.
NOTE: When you cast the find familiar spell for a standard familiar, you also gain the boon for the familiar you summon. Warlocks with pact of the chain gain this feat for free.
• Telepathic. You are considered to be in contact with your familiar for the purpose of shared spells, as long as it is within 1 mile of you. You and your familiar can communicate with each other telepathically at a range of up to 1 mile.

Familiar Master’s Special Boon
Armadilo +1 AC
Awakened Shrub +2 Con saves
Bat Adv. Perception in dim light or darkness
Blink Dog Exp. Perception
Cat Exp, stealth
Faerie Dragon (young) Exp. Arcana
Fire Snake Resistance: fire
Flying Sword Resistance: psychic
Giant Fire Beetle Add the light cantrip to your known spells
Giant Poisonous Snake Exp. Perception
Giant Scorpion +2 Con saves
Fox +2 Dex saves
Giant Wolf Spider Exp. Climb checks
Hawk Adv. Perception in bright light
Hedgehog +2 Will saves
Imp Resistance: poison
Iguana Exp, Swim checks
Koala Exp. Climb checks
Mephit Resistance: poison
Monkey Exp. Acrobatics
Otter Exp. Swim checks
Owl Adv. Perception in dim light or darkness
Panther Exp, stealth
Parrot The familiar has the ability to speak one language.
Penguin Exp. Swim checks
Pixie Adv. On saves against being charmed and magic can’t put you to sleep.
Psuedodragon Exp, Perception & Stealth
Quasit Resistance: fire
Raccoon Exp. Sleight of Hand
Rat +2 Con saves
Raven The familiar has the ability to speak one language.
Red Panda +2 Cha saves
Scorpion +2 Con saves
Sea Horse Exp. Swim checks
Skunk +2 Con saves
Spider Exp. Climb checks
Sprite Exp. Perception & Stealth
Squirrel Exp. Sleight of Hand
Snapping Turtle +2 Con saves
Tarantula Exp. Survival
Turtle +1 AC
Viper Exp. Deception
Wallaby Exp. Acrobatics
Weasel +2 Dex saves

Exp. Expertise
Adv. Advantage

Last edited:

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
1) To be clear - are you aware that the spell Find Familiar summons:

''You gain the service of a familiar, a spirit that takes an animal form..''

Normally a caster can re-cast Find Familiar to change their familiar spirit's form. Is this still the case with these feats? If so, Find Familiar stands to become a 1st level spell/low cost resource that can potentially grant access to series of powerful skill boosts and defensive options.

2)

Not quite sure what you mean here. Are you saying that a Chain Warlock doesn't need to pay material costs? If so, saving 10gp doesn't seem that much of a perk. Combined with a feat that turns the familiar spirit into an independent entity and, granted with a hefty feat investment, a caster could end up with a much better familiar than a Chain Warlock. If I was playing a Chainlock, I'd want my uber familiar to rise in power as much as the standard Find Familiar spell rises with access to these feats. If a standard Find Familiar is great after two feats, a Chain Lock Find Familiar should be all the more greater.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads