• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Famous characters in your gaming group.

Wombat

First Post
Dalton Erdell. Well known for the deathless (...well, he died, but the phrase never will...), "It's not my fault!"

Never try to accidentally overthrow small countries in your spare time with a busted ankle...

psychognome

First Post
Well, a character from a campaign we recently started...

Tiny, the Ogre

Intelligence 3. He's funny to play. When I usually play people talk to me and say things like "Hey, have your cleric heal my character, will you?" but when I'm playing Tiny people always say "I tell Tiny that we're going to talk to the nice men."

Also, during our short expedition to Undermountain Tiny was coloured blue by a Rod of Wonder trap. Later on we ran into another group of adventurers, and the following conversation ensued:
NPC: Aaargh! It's an ogre mage! Kill it!
PC: No! He's not an ogre mage! He's too stupid to even spell "ogre mage"!
Tiny: That's right!

And during today's session... the group enters a tavern and much hilarity ensues.
NPC: Aaargh! It's an ogre mage!
Tiny: Where?
Tiny turns to see his reflection in a mirror.
Tiny: Eek!
Tiny runs around, screaming.

That, and having the rest of the group use him to make money, by having people pay for seeing the "amazing ogre mage from far away lands!" :rolleyes:

If this campaign keeps on going, Tiny will become quite memorable, methinks.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Biggen the halfling rogue.

The guy who played them is naturally funny, with a larcenous streak a mile wide. He was born to play this character.

Highlights of Biggen's career:

- Offering to buy mounts for the party's upcoming travels, then promptly stealing horses from a nearby stable (and pocketing the cash). When the angry owners (another adventuring party) finally caught up with the characters, Biggen's quick wit and diplomatic skills narrowly averted a TPK.

- Unleashing a green dragon on the party out of sheer curiosity.

- Making separate deals with the party's employers, netting him upwards of 5,000 gp over the course of the game.

- But the most memorable aspect of Biggen's personality: Whenever he was faced with a binary decision, he would roll a pair of six-siders--one black and one white. If the white one came up higher, he would grudgingly do the 'right thing'...but if the black die was higher, he would cheerfully (and entertainingly) screw the party over.

Everyone loved him, nonetheless.

Last edited:

Jolly Giant

First Post
It would have to be a kobold rogue/assassin called "Worf". He always introduced himself as "Worf, son of Morg!" in a voice that maid it clear that he expected everybody to be mightily impressed! In truth, he had no idea who his father was and "Morg" was just a name he came up with.

Whenever he met somebody he didn't know, he'd be bragging about all his grand accomplishments in such a way that no-one in their right mind would take him seriously. At the same time, he managed to be polite, charming, innocent and just plain cute, so he was generally tolerated, but ignored, just about everywhere he went. Of course, this made it possible for him to get away with all sorts of mischief.

Whenever he arrived in a new place, he'd sniff out who held the power and riches in that place and start endearing himself to them, becoming something like a pet or mascot in more than one guild or noble's house. However, if he decided that somebody was no longer useful to him, he'd backstab that person just as soon as look at him. As long as he felt certain he could get away with it, of course! :p

Last edited:

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Ho Chi Minh is pretty memorable. He's a human thief who originally appeared in a one shot oriental game (but now pops up in the regular game occaisonally). He's generally seen with a large duffle bag carrying somebody around in it who has been recently been killed. Other than that he gambles and is involved in any other type of criminal activity.

He's just a funny guy.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Ferret said:
What about you?

Well, in an old Planescape game, there was my friend's character, Drak Ironfist, an aasimar paladin who was the People's Champion in Sigil and shot lightning bolts out of his rear end. It was a cheap takeoff of The Rock..."Can you smell what the Drak is cooking?", but everyone loved it.

In our current (on hiatus) epic-level game, I play a half-dragon anthropomorphic tyrannosaur monk, named Tolthrak. He's got an Int of 20 (exceedingly generous DM), but speaks like Grimlock from the Transformers; "Tolthrak ready to rock and or roll." "Tolthrak enjoy this." "I think we should give Death what she wants and leave." (The last is in the presence of Death, and Death only.) "Mmmm...cow. Tolthrak miss meat." "Please not stand behind Tolthrak two hours after Tolthrak have 20 pounds of rice. Tolthrak carnivore and cannot digest rice properly. This for friend's own good." "Tolthrak want to have words with Shinsei."

Brad

One day, in . . . God, 8th grade, on the school bus, my two gaming buddies and I tried to explain D&D to a cute girl named Calily. She even started to make a character, though she never got around to actually playing her. Taking a cue from the Power Rangers, she called the character Trini (the yellow ranger at that time).

Now, at this time, the party was going through Night Below, that lovely super-adventure in 2nd edition. One of the PCs was a ranger who hated dark elves, and I wanted to introduce a bit of moral ambiguity, so when the PCs were going to wipe out a nest of trolls, they heard the cries of help of a young woman. Since they were all using Infravision, they couldn't tell what she looked like, so they fought their way through the trolls and rescued the girl, who they later found out was a dark elf. The ranger PC did about the best roleplaying I'd seen at the age of 14, and I knew that this character would make the game a lot more fun. When they asked her name, I blanked, then said, Trini. Only, since she's a dark elf, it's spelled "Tri'ni."

Tri'ni was raised by a fugitive dark Elf wizard who took command of a small clan of Goblins after he had to flee his original home. Tri'ni's surrogate father was then dominated by a mind flayer, and Tri'ni developed a natural resistance to telepathy, which is what made her an asset to the party in the Night Below campaign. She ended up being a sort of follower ally of the party, and by the time they were 12th level, she was 7th. As if being a good dark elf wasn't already a cliche enough (not that we knew), she was also a wild mage, one of the other banes of 2nd edition.

Now, in the intervening years, Tri'ni has shown up in two more campaigns. In the first, she was a close ally of the party, helping them track down an Illithid mastermind, and eventually reching 17th level. And now, in my current campaign, she's shown up as a friendly NPC who provides advice and who was cool enough to help the party avoid getting captured by some villains. She is busy with her own things usually, as is appropriate for a high level character, but she's occasionally free to help out the 8th level PCs in the current group.

It's just impressive how easily people get along with her. As a retooled sorcerer in 3rd edition, Tri'ni has a 20 Charisma, and she's about the only NPC I have who people like in such a way that a high Charisma makes sense. She's famous for loving lightning, hating mind control, and getting called a slut for breaking up with a PC who tried to date her. She's got style, if not the raw twinkish power most people expect with Elves, which makes her much more fun.

mythago

Hero
In my CoC game, poor SwackIron made the mistake of describing his character as an attractive single guy playboy type...so I gave him an NPC girlfriend.

Esmé was drop-dead "Oh my god are you a Swedish lingerie model" gorgeous with legs up to here, from a rich old-money family, smart as a whip, a legislative aide in a prominent Senator's office...and a psycho hosebeast.

Fighting to preserve humanity from Horrors from Beyond™ tends to involve a lot of time away from the home front. So if SwackIron disappeared on a clandestine mission or dropped his cell-phone while running like hell to get out of Mictlan, well, Esmé wasn't exactly understanding. There's nothing quite like dragging into your apartment after a full day of dealing with....things...to find a screeching, jealous message from your girlfriend who is mad that you missed a date and you NEVER call anymore and then when you do call her, she hangs up on you, then calls back sniffling about how sorry she is, it's just that she misses you sooo much...

I've never seen a player's blood pressure spike so fast. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads