FanExpo 2009 August 28-30, Toronto

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
So who else is plannning on attending the FanExpo?

This is actually my first time going and I'll be volunteering with a games company and will be running some board games and an RPG session or two. (Working out the details on the RPG sessions right now.)

Anybody else been there before, or have particular plans, or considering attending?

Thondor

I've run games at FanExpo for the past two years. It's pretty fun. This year I think I'll just show up to play.

Out of curiosity what have you run in the past, did you get a good 'crowd'?

If anyone is interesting in volunteering and running some board games and RPGs with a games company (Polymancer, their website seems to be down at the moment or I'd link) the one I'm volunteering with is still looking for some help. Can PM me and I'll connect you.

I'm also curious if there's any other gaming Con's in the Toronto area, I havn't heard of any . . . but I havn't lived here that long either.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I'll be going, besides the normal con stuff I am most looking forward to trying out the Dragon Age: Origins demo that is going to be there. They better have it be full character creation for it. I want to see what the City Elf Rogue I plan to have will be like.

I don't think I'll be able to make the midnight sale at Silver Snail this year though :(

Thondor

I don't think I'll be able to make the midnight sale at Silver Snail this year though :(

Well this is the first I've heard of it. A quick shoot over to the Silver Snails website only dug up some comments on last years event.
So is it Friday? Saturday? etc. apppreciate any more details.

Glad to here that another person is making it to the con.

I'm also curious if there's any other gaming Con's in the Toronto area, I havn't heard of any . . . but I havn't lived here that long either.

I think there's one called Palladium held out by the airport. It's been a couple years since I heard about it so I don't know if it's still running or not.

talwynor

First Post
Im only about an hr from Toronto (Buffalo suburb) and know nothing about this (or any con) in the Toronto area. What's it like and how does it compare to other cons? how about compared to GenCon?

Fiery_Dragon

First Post
Fiery Dragon will have a booth there, right beside White Wolf. We'll have print copies of Creature Collection 4E, as well as our Counter Collections - Heroic, Paragon and Epic and the Digital versions.

Plus our other lines - the Counter Strike line of mini wargames, Tunnels & Trolls, and hopefully some Iron Heroes products.

In terms of a convention, it's a big show, very crowded and lots of people. In terms of comparison to GenCon, Gaming is really new to the show and hasn't attracted the fans or exhibitors to come close to anything like GenCon. FanExpo has evolved from the merging of 5 genre conventions - comics, anime, scifi, horror and gaming - and that seems to be the order that live in the show. So, it's great if you're a comic book fan or anime fan, interesting if you're a sci-fi fan or horror fan, and fun if you are into video games. In terms of tabletop, it's still a growing segment, but we're looking to make some new recruits into this hobby of ours.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Fiery_Dragon basically sums it up with the degree of stuff. But I am sure most gamers going have interest in the other stuff. That is one of the things I enjoy about FanExpo is that I am not just going there for one thing I like, I am going for TONS! of things I like.

The Silver Snail sale, is if I remember right, on the Sunday night I believe. Don't worry about missing it, since Silver Snail always has a large booth at FanExpo and will be giving out cards with information about the sale. The sale is usually pretty good, with stuff like 40%-60% off. It will be REALLY busy, expect to if not really early to be waiting in line a good 20 minutes or so, last year the AC broke so it got hot too (but they handed out bottled water to everyone). But that may not happen this year, so who knows.

Remove ads