• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fantasy Character Draft- How would it work?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I just don't see it working well with the players bidding "against" each other. I'd think they'd be more inclined to let the Wizardy get the Wizard stats and the Fighter get the Fightery stats.
Sure. This type of thing absolutely comes with the caveat that you have a group of players who would it find it fun to screw each other over just for kicks. One of my groups this wouldn't work for. The other, they'll steal the last class option just to watch someone else have to trade for it. :)

Also, you need to make this not matter much. Don't make it the basis for a long-term campaign. Plan it out as a one-shot or an adventure of just a few sessions. Less stakes means less desire to cooperate.

Another thing is that you need scarcity, or nothing will have a real value. If you have X players, the Xth option has to be something really crappy or embarrassing. Make the last race option a kobold, or a goblin, something nobody will normally play. Make the last class option a Druid1/Paladin1, or some other crappy multiclass.

Also, you need to incentivize not just picking class/race as the first two options by making the bonus options special. Throw some 17s and 18s in the array options. Make some of the feat choices really strong. Offer up stat bonuses, feat bonuses, magic items, even an extra level to encourage people not to simply take the safe option. If it turns out to be OP....well, it's a short term thing anyway!

S

Sunseeker

Sure. This type of thing absolutely comes with the caveat that you have a group of players who would it find it fun to screw each other over just for kicks. One of my groups this wouldn't work for. The other, they'll steal the last class option just to watch someone else have to trade for it. :)
Sure okay then I was thinking more long term but if you're making it a one-shot game of D&D that plays like Screw or something then yeah that's fine.

Spookykid

First Post
Bloodbowlish

I dont like the bidding part, I would just have everything up for picking. 30 attribute rolls, one of each class and race, one feat, one background. If there is one 18 attribute roll, guess what the first pick is. Then when you get your character filled out, you can trade or trade after you determine draft order.

I like the idea. Here's my 2 cents:

Don't auction the character build
Races, classes and backgrounds: Don't auction these! Auctioning these may lead to very unhappy players who have to play a race/class that does not fit them.
Also, with a point-buy where everybody gets perhaps 25 points (on top of the regular 8 for each stat). At least the foundation of the players is stable and players can play what they want.

Don't auction specific items
Auction some things that can boost all players. Make sure that everything up for auction is useful for everybody. For example, putting up specifically a magic staff when you only got 1 wizard (and the rest barbarians) will mean that the wizard can pick up that staff for almost nothing, because nobody else is bidding on it...

Do auction boosts for players
Don't use gold. Use points, which disappear after the auction. For example, 50 points each.

Examples:
  • +1 on attack rolls (not linked to any weapon)
  • 3 extra stats +1
  • 1 stat +1
  • 1 stat +2
  • 1 stat +3
  • Con + 1
  • The lucky feat
  • The tough feat
  • The resilient feat
  • The skilled feat
  • A Bag of Holding
  • 1 extra skill proficiency, chosen by the player
  • Improved armour (i.e. a splint mail instead of the regular chainmail)
  • Inspiration at the start of the game
  • 100 gc in cash at the start of the game
  • 250 gc in cash at the start of the game
  • 500 gc in cash at the start of the game
  • 3 greater healing potions at the start of the game
  • 2 greater healing potions at the start of the game
  • 1 greater healing potion at the start of the game
Of course this is just an example. I think I've been too enthusiastic and the resulting players would be a little overpowered. Adjust as you see fit! This is just an example.

The actual action
  • Show all boosts which will be auctioned.
  • In order to make this as fair as possible, I'd auction all items simultaneously.
  • Players can make a bid, but cannot withdraw a bid. (The latter is important, otherwise it will never end).
  • A bid must be made by physically placing the right number of coins on a piece of paper that represents the boost. (Just to avoid that players bid with points they don't have, you cannot speculate that you get points back somehow)
  • When someone else places a higher bid, the points are given back to the player.

In my mind, this would be reasonably fair. But I am curious if someone can show me where I overlooked something. After all, I just quickly wrote this down at lunch time :)

TwoSix

I like the idea. Here's my 2 cents:

Don't auction the character build
Races, classes and backgrounds: Don't auction these! Auctioning these may lead to very unhappy players who have to play a race/class that does not fit them.
Also, with a point-buy where everybody gets perhaps 25 points (on top of the regular 8 for each stat). At least the foundation of the players is stable and players can play what they want.
That's probably where I disagree with you. To my mind, the point is getting players to gamble on bidding for a good magic item, or an extra feat or two, or some high stats, with the risk that they're going to end up with a race or a class they might not have preferred. To work, the downside has to be something you'd really rather avoid.

Now, I do think there are ways to create meaningful downsides without sticking people with truly unworkable options. For example, let's assume the game is intended to start at an average oflevel 4. Give the player the first two levels for free, their choice of class. Then auction off levels, and everyone can use up to 3 that they purchase (you could also buy more for trades). If you have 5 players, this would be my list of class purchases.

1 level, any class
1 level, any class
1 level, any caster class (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock)
1 level, any caster class
1 level, any caster class
1 level, any noncaster class (Fighter, Rogue, Monk, Barbarian)
1 level, any noncaster class
1 level, any noncaster class
1 level, halfcaster class (Ranger, Paladin)
1 level, halfcaster class

That way, someone could bid if they wanted to go right to 5th level, or might be happy to stay at 2nd or 3rd and get a bunch of feats and magic items.

That's probably where I disagree with you. To my mind, the point is getting players to gamble on bidding for a good magic item, or an extra feat or two, or some high stats, with the risk that they're going to end up with a race or a class they might not have preferred. To work, the downside has to be something you'd really rather avoid.

Let's agree to disagree then :)

To be honest, I think there is no right and wrong here. A DM should discuss this with the players, and everybody should agree with the proposed auction, or it will end in unnecessary drama anyway.

TwoSix

Let's agree to disagree then :)

To be honest, I think there is no right and wrong here. A DM should discuss this with the players, and everybody should agree with the proposed auction, or it will end in unnecessary drama anyway.
Absolutely. There are no right and wrongs to play, only different play preferences and methods to address them. Player buy-in is always critical.

Remove ads