• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Grounds II

Layander

First Post
I wanted learn about how much interest there is in Virtual Tabletop gaming. I do not get to run in person much so I wondered if I were to play or run on fantasy grounds how much interest would there be for something like that in this community?

talwynor

First Post
Can't say how much interest there is generally, but having used several different vtt's (GRiP, OpenRPG, Klooge, and FGII) I think FGII has the most active community out there. Admittedly a matter of opinion. If you're interested in Living Forgotten Realms, we have a a Yahoo group at RPGA_Group : The Fantasy Grounds Online RPGA Group where you can regularly join games.

Last edited:

Layander

First Post
One more question I have updated my program over and over but am not getting the 4E rules set is there a way to download it directly?

Hussar

Legend
What do you mean by "home games"? Using a virtual tabletop at home or just straight up, traditional play?

I would also point you in the direction of Map Tools which also has a very large and active community.

Hussar

Legend
One more question I have updated my program over and over but am not getting the 4E rules set is there a way to download it directly?

Ahh, I think you are a bit misinformed.

The VTT's are not tied to a specific ruleset. They are basically a chat program with a graphics display for maps and a die roller tied in. You don't get the D&D ruleset with the virtual tabletop.

Stormonu

Legend

The 4E ruleset has to be downloaded deliberately and separately, as I understand it could not be legally created through the GSL by them, but individuals could create a ruleset and share it.

I think 4 ugly monsters has made the ruleset that I use; your best bet is to google what you're looking for; it's not difficult to find.

evildmguy

Explorer
I run a weekly game with Masterplan, a total of seven computer, four webcams, TightVNC and instant messaging. So far, it's worked great for over two years now!

If you want details, let me know.

edg

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Maptools, for me at least, has the lowest 'buy in' compared to what you get out of it in return.

Fantasy Grounds II is weirdly complex and not in a good way. I still haven't managed to figure out how to build modules with it despite owning it for a couple of years now. In comparison, I run and play in several Maptools games.

Maptools also has a much more active community than FGII. It is also getting improved on all the time and the next version number (current version is 1.3 beta) will see a massive improvement in performance and functionality as it will be javascript scriptable.

For a program that is free, Maptools gives unbeatable value for money. FGII leaves a lot to be desired and quite frankly pulls up behind Maptools even without the price consideration. For a product you have to pay for, FGII just doesn't stack up.

Remove ads