• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fantasy Grounds Previews of Tasha's Cauldron

Ahead of the November 17th release date, the product page for Tasha's Cauldron of Everything has several previews on the Fantasy Grounds website. The previews include the origins customization section, group patrons, sidekicks, and a look at the alternate class features for the ranger Beast Master.

Ahead of the November 17th release date, the product page for Tasha's Cauldron of Everything has several previews on the Fantasy Grounds website. The previews include the origins customization section, group patrons, sidekicks, and a look at the alternate class features for the ranger Beast Master.

ScreenOne.jpg
ScreenTwo.jpg
ScreenThree.jpg
ScreenFour.jpg
ScreenFive.jpg
ScreenSix.jpg

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So from now on, the only things we’re going to get is endless permutations of subclasses? Path of the Bone Crusher? Circle of the Blood Harvest? Way of the Glass Ceiling? Oath of Muscles? This is going to get very boring very fast.
I mean, there’s quite a bit more to Tasha’s than just new subclasses. That’s the stuff most folks are most excited about, but there’s new spells, new feats, new magic items, new DM tools like the puzzles, environmental hazards, group patrons, sidekicks, and new optional rules like the lineage system and the alternate class features. That said, there is a reason Morrus felt there was demand for an “advanced 5e” product. If you’re looking for whole new subsystems, you’re not going to find them in official 5e products any time soon.

So from now on, the only things we’re going to get is endless permutations of subclasses? Path of the Bone Crusher? Circle of the Blood Harvest? Way of the Glass Ceiling? Oath of Muscles? This is going to get very boring very fast.
Sounds like it is time for you to give 5e a rest. It's clearly coming towards the end of it's edition lifecyle, there is little more WotC can do with it. They are never going to release "advanced rules" because anything official that increases complexity is going to hurt people coming in at the bottom.

Sounds like it is time for you to give 5e a rest. It's clearly coming towards the end of it's edition lifecyle, there is little more WotC can do with it. They are never going to release "advanced rules" because anything official that increases complexity is going to hurt people coming in at the bottom.
I like 5e and I don’t actually need new material. But it’s true, I don’t see the point of the new material we’re getting, not even in a "I’m reading it for fun although I don’t intend to use it" capacity. So I’m still engaged as a gamer, but not as a customer.

So at this point, the only parts of SCAG unrevised or reprinted are

• Ghostwise halflings
  • Path of the Battlerager
  • Arcana domain
  • Oath of the Crown
  • Way of Long Death
  • Purple Dragon Knight
  • Undying Pact
  • The backgrounds (many of which were just FR themed variants of the PHB ones)

That is a vanishingly small list of things, and most of them are considered inferior options as is. I'm pretty sure they are almost done writing the SCAG out of existence.

I really like the Arcana Domain.

I like 5e and I don’t actually need new material. But it’s true, I don’t see the point of the new material we’re getting, not even in a "I’m reading it for fun although I don’t intend to use it" capacity. So I’m still engaged as a gamer, but not as a customer.
The only thing that I can find to disagree wtih about your comment is the future tense.

Tasha's is a little more interesting to me than Xanathat's in that it's at least addressing known issues.

Last edited:

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
I plan on fixing the EK issues by giving them a fighting style that adds proficiency bonus elemental damage of their choice 1/round, and maybe making War Magic “cast cantrip as bonus action when taking attack action” or something like that.
This might not be a bad start; I'd need to hit the spreadsheets to see if it would be too over the top. (A SCAGtrip, again, would be the problem, as you are also essentially getting another attack out of it). ~4d8 damage alone probably wouldn't be the end of the world, but 2d6+4d8+str mod with the option of applying GWM (or using shadow blade) could be.

Then again, it would be a breath of fresh air in a world full of Pole Arm Masters.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Also, I'm glad Rune Knight wasn't really gutted badly at all and the buff from Large to Huge was unexpected.

Well... it wasn't gutted "badly" but it still was gutted.

2d6 dmg being once per turn vs 1 per attack is a huge nerf. Moving hill giant to level 7 is also a significant nerf - it does help with making it an amazing 3 level dip but... it means you are going to spend 6 levels without the resistance.

It went from OP to well... "fun to roleplay". :/

It had to be toned down, it was too good, but... I think they went too far.

Remove ads

Remove ads