FANTASY GROUNDS Usage Reports: D&D, Pathfinder, & SAVAGE WORLDS

Following up on The Orr Group's Roll20 recent usage statistics, I've just gotten some figures in from Smiteworks, who make Fantasy Grounds. Fantasy Grounds is, of course, the officially licensed Dungeons & Dragon virtual tabletop, and so its usage figures reflect that, with a very dramatic lead for D&D - the most popular systems, in order, are D&D 5E, Pathfinder, D&D 3.5, D&D 4E, and Savage Worlds.

Following up on The Orr Group's Roll20 recent usage statistics, I've just gotten some figures in from Smiteworks, who make Fantasy Grounds. Fantasy Grounds is, of course, the officially licensed Dungeons & Dragon virtual tabletop, and so its usage figures reflect that, with a very dramatic lead for D&D - the most popular systems, in order, are D&D 5E, Pathfinder, D&D 3.5, D&D 4E, and Savage Worlds.

Taking 5E out of the equation, the other games make for an interesting list.

RulesetUsage2015_4421_image001.png
RulesetUsage2015_4421_image002.png
RulesetUsage2014_17990_image001.png
RulesetUsage2014_17990_image002.png

innerdude

Legend
Love, love LOOOOVERLY LOVE LURV that Savage Worlds has 6% of the total game count, and has seen a small but steady increase over time. By itself Savage Worlds percentage is equal to half of the total remaining percentage of "other" games.

Gundark

Explorer
Princes of the Apocalypse was released. It looks like they had a general spike then (particularly 5e), so maybe a rising tide lifts all boats? Or at least it was good advertising in general, not just for 5e. Pathfinder sees a slight decrease, but they could probably run the stats to see if many of their 5e players were playing Pathfinder in the previous month(s).

Pathfinder has only seen a slight decline compared to the massive jump in 5e. I'm guessing that because the other games are remaining stable-ish means that people playing 5e AND other games (PF, SW, etc). I'm thinking that people are a lot less "dogmatic" about their games than we think they are.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Pathfinder has only seen a slight decline compared to the massive jump in 5e. I'm guessing that because the other games are remaining stable-ish means that people playing 5e AND other games (PF, SW, etc). I'm thinking that people are a lot less "dogmatic" about their games than we think they are.

It more likely says something about the platform than the games.

smiteworks

Explorer
Savage Worlds is a great system with a small, but loyal following. Fantasy Grounds has very strong Savage Worlds support available for it and our numbers probably skew a bit as a result.

The ruleset is only $10 for Fantasy Grounds and it includes the rulebook. In addition, it's a flexible system with support for nearly every genre out there and a large number of smaller, Indie publishers that produce content for it. There are somewhere around 70 different add-ons available for it on Fantasy Grounds. There are over 2 dozen different settings available alone, with my two favorite being Sundered Skies, by Triple Ace Games, and Deadlands Reloaded by Pinnacle Entertainment Games. While I enjoy the crunch found in the rules for games like D&D and Pathfinder, Savage Worlds is a game system that I find myself routinely returning to.

I know that sounded like a sales pitch, and it kind of is. Regardless of whether or not you ever play it on Fantasy Grounds, you should definitely check it out.

discosoc

First Post
I wonder what happened in April to make 3.5 games nearly double?

My guess is 5e created some nostalgia for people, even if they didn't like the rules-light focus of it. Let's face it, Pathfinder can be a real pain to run, and it only gets worse as they add more books and rules, so I think there's a healthy number of people looking to "get back to the basics" with it, which is basically 3.5.

That's a total guess on my part, though, and just reflects the people I talk to. Could be regional.

Cool. But I am perplexed at what game has the initials DSA. It's 2% of the 15% and is singled out on the mini pie chart....and I have no idea what DSA is, which is weirding me out. (and Google aint' helping)

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Which also has an English translation now. Maybe smite works should see about getting an official ruleset and modules?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads