FANTASY GROUNDS Virtual Tabletop's D&D License!

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Check out their D&D wares here. They mention that "The DMG is still in the works, along with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat and Princes of the Apocalypse." and that "The basic 5E ruleset will continue to be provided directly within Fantasy Grounds to all licenses. These purchasable options add a new graphics theme that is officially branded, along with the library module support, and whatever other enhancements we could squeeze in, like tokens or portraits or decals."

Here's the announcement:
We are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

You can purchase the D&D Complete Core Class Pack with all the class, feats, spells and equipment or you can purchase individual classes only. You can also buy the monsters in packs or as the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. These products have been converted to work really tightly with Fantasy Grounds to give you the best possible gaming experience - we know you're going to love them. They contain all the great artwork and content from the official products and all the smarts and integration to work with Fantasy Grounds. Not only will you get the same content that can be found in print, but you also get an exciting new Fifth Edition theme, adventures and content customized specifically for ease of play inside of Fantasy Grounds.

For Dungeon Masters and players on a budget, you might pick up a Player Customization Pack and one or two Class Packs of your choice. Dungeon Masters can often get by with just the Adventure of their choice and one or two Monster Packs.

Don't forget that players can gift purchases through Steam for Dungeon Masters who have linked their license on Steam.

WOTC5EDDBASICRULES.jpg

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Interesting.

I'm curious to see how much functionality you get with just the basic rules engine and subscription. I mean, if you can write in your own attacks and effects and have them still be drag-and-drop ready then it's not a bad deal at all if you already have dead-tree versions of the books. I already have to write up character sheets and monster stat-blocks by hand to prep an analog game as a player or DM anyway. I can't stand trying to run a game flipping back and forth in the PHB or the MM all the time. I guess the real test is to see how accessible the hooks are. Like, can I transcribe a feat or class about that gives Advantage under certain conditions accurately? Do I need the MM or PHB to use the Lost Mines content?

Marty Lund

Walkthrough of CoreRPG

smiteworks

Explorer
The Lost Mines comes with all the monster stats from the MM and pre-gen characters. You can still build your own characters and monsters. I would highly recommend picking up at least the D&D Basic Rules & Theme pack ($2.99) or the PC Customization Pack ($9.99), though, because in addition to a pretty sharp looking theme, they have all the races, backgrounds and equipment. The D&D Basic Rules comes with 4 basic versions of the classes pre-loaded and 120 spells pre-entered. The PC Customization Pack comes with a bunch of D&D portraits you can use and lists of feats. This would give you a pretty clear idea of how to enter your own stuff. You can basically set up spells to automatically roll against targeted monster saving throws, do half or full damage, drop an effect on the target, etc. Damage types are also coded so that if a monster has resistances or vulnerabilities to certain things, it will take that into consideration with dealing damage.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
The pricing is a bit complex because FG is giving you a lot of options on how to use their software. They could make the pricing simpler, but it would likely end up raising the price on the "entry level". But the idea that you *have* to spend $250.00 to use the software for D&D is simply not accurate, that is simply the price for the cadillac package!

I get it; it's a premium service. I've spent hundreds on Dwarven Forge because I feel like I'm getting a premium product for a premium price. My question is, what are the features of FG that make it worth the premium? And do all of those features really add up to an experience that's better than pencil+paper+skype? Then I can decide whether it's good enough to pay that much money for something that I can do for free.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
I get it; it's a premium service. I've spent hundreds on Dwarven Forge because I feel like I'm getting a premium product for a premium price. My question is, what are the features of FG that make it worth the premium? And do all of those features really add up to an experience that's better than pencil+paper+skype? Then I can decide whether it's good enough to pay that much money for something that I can do for free.

Check the link of actual play and walkthrough a couple of posts above yours.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I switched over to Fantasy Grounds about 6 months ago. A friend and I made tons of 5e monsters and player character sheets. It was time consuming but worth it.

I started with the monthly ultimate subscription for a couple of months and then FG had a sale for the lifetime license so I bought it.

I DM about 1 session per week. I created my own Ghosts of Dragonspear castle using the maps from WoTC pdf. I also play in another session every week.

This product is very sharp. I love it.

aramis erak

Legend
That's a lot of filthy lucre, considering you can get all three dead-tree rulebook for about $100 on Amazon. But I guess in the digital age this kind of pricing scheme makes sense?

Only if they want to continue their low uptake...

Oh, and there is no REAL mac support*, no linux support, no android support, no ios support.

*WINE is buggy as hell for network apps.

Last edited by a moderator:

smiteworks

Explorer
Only if they want to continue their low uptake...

Oh, and there is no REAL mac support*, no linux support, no android support, no ios support.

*WINE is buggy as hell for network apps.

We don't have this problem with our implementation. One of our 3 core developers is exclusively a Mac guy. He helped us assemble the Steam version and it works flawlessly with players and DM's inside or outside of Steam on either Mac or PC. I don't use Linux outside of server products, but my understanding is that it works just as well. Mac OS is basically a cousin of Linux anyway.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases