Fantisorical(?)

Living Legend

First Post
I'm working on something to self publish and I would like to use the term 'fantisorical' to describe it, but I'm concerned that this term is still a little too new for most people to recognize it.

Basically the meaning of 'fantisorical' is something that blends fantasy with historical background or detail. Game of Thrones is often given this moniker, but I'm still not sure it's very widely understood.

So how many of you are familiar with this term?

Just to be clear I am not looking to discuss my project, just this word, thanks.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Never heard the term. Seems gimmicky and unnecessary. "Historical fantasy" is just fine and has the virtue of being intelligible.

I loved Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and am the target audience for this sort of book, incidentally.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Never heard the term. Seems gimmicky and unnecessary. "Historical fantasy" is just fine and has the virtue of being intelligible.

I loved Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and am the target audience for this sort of book, incidentally.
Ditto.

Other terms like "Alt History" and simply "Fantasy" have been applied to such works as well. See also the Darkness series by Harry Turtledove, The Fallen Cloud Saga by Kurt R.A. Giambastiani or The Sword of Knowledge trilogy of shared world fantasy novels credited to the authors C. J. Cherryh, Leslie Fish, Nancy Asire, and Mercedes Lackey.

the Jester

Legend
Never heard the term and it sounds made-up and slightly condescending to me.

I would totally stick to "historical fantasy", but if you mean stuff like Game of Thrones, well- it's not; it's just plain fantasy. Historical fantasy would be fantasy set in our own history; at least, that's my take on it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Hisfantasitorical is a term I just made up which is about as useful as fantisorical. Historic fantasy on the other hand is fully intelligible and precisely what I like. So yeah I agree with that vote...

Remove ads