• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Farewell, my Friend

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
THEY aren't dead. Just the magazine is. And that's sad enough.

Guys, thank you for shepherding an institution from "pretty good" to "freakin' amazing," and delighting us all in the process. You work has delighted us, and it's incredibly appreciated.

Felix

Explorer
O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won;
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.​

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills;
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding;
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
Here Captain! dear father!
This arm beneath your head;
It is some dream that on the deck,
You’ve fallen cold and dead.​

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still;
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will;
The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done;
From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won;
Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells!
But I, with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.​

--Walt Whitman

Warm Summer sun, shine kindly here.
Warm Southern breeze, blow softly here.
Green sod above, lie light, lie light;
Good night, dear heart, Good night. Good night.

--Samuel Clemens

I'd rather be living in Philadelphia.

--Self-proposed epitaph for WC Fields ;)

And I'd rather that next month I were still reading your marvelous magazine! Salud! Health, wealth, and the time to enjoy them to you all!

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Piratecat said:
THEY aren't dead. Just the magazine is. And that's sad enough.

Bah. WotC can recycle the name all they want, but it just won't be Dragon or Dungeon. :(

Guys, thank you for shepherding an institution from "pretty good" to "freakin' amazing," and delighting us all in the process. You work has delighted us, and it's incredibly appreciated.

My thanks to everyone who contributed to Dragon and Dungeon magazines these many years, whether from TSR, WotC, Paizo, freelancers, etc. etc.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas.

ZeroGlobal2003

First Post
Guys and Gals,

I just want to thank you all for helping craft one of my favorite publications. I will miss Dungeon and Dragon very much, and want to say thanks.

Jon Hartmann

Thurbane

First Post
As I said on the WotC forums, my initial anger, outrage and disbelief at the deicison to end the print version of Dragon (and Dungeon) has died down somewhat, my underlying disappointment has not.

Goodbye Dragon, you WILL be missed. Thanks for many years of entertainment, enlightenment, and above all, helping my D&D experience of 20+years to be all the more enjoyable.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Let me thank all the members of the Dragon and Dungeon staff and all the contributors who made it so great. They were more than just magazines they were like a barometer of the RPG community and it's hard to envision not having them.

That said I refuse to get over my anger at WoTC for canceling the print magazines and I don't care what they offer in its place it will never replace what they've killed. They skewered two icons of the gaming community and can count on at least one person never buying into their replacement if only out of spite. Luckily since I've homebrewed myself into what is effectively my own system I can abandon WoTC entirely, and use third party products and my own work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads