• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Favorite 5E Anthology Adventure

Reynard

Legend
Since many folks pointed out the anthologies when I lamented a lack of short adventures for 5E, I thought I would ask:

What is your favorite adventure from one of the four adventure anthology titles Wizards has published for 5E: Tales from the Yawning Portal, Boats and Shite (It will always be this to me!), Candlekeep Mysteries and Radiant Citadel?

Please say why and if possible give a short spoiler free synopsis. Thanks.

Shiroiken

Legend
From an anthology perspective, Tales of the Yawning Portal was really good. Personally I preferred Ghosts of Saltmarsh, but that's because it was more of a mini-campaign with a fleshed out base of operations, rather than just an anthology.

Tales and Saltmarsh is a tie for me. About to run Sunless Citadel (reworked a bit to fit one of the druids backstory) and I'll probably work Ghost of Saltmarsh into the game as well. My only complaint for Tales is I wished they'd put a different Next adventure in there but I guess the theme is megaish dungeons. I don't have Candle Keep or Radient, those didn't really grab me. I might buy Candle Keep though because I like the concept. One of my players is in possession of a strange book she will need to translate and figure out what it is. I figure a trip to Candle Keep for research might be fun.

Reynard

Legend
From an anthology perspective, Tales of the Yawning Portal was really good. Personally I preferred Ghosts of Saltmarsh, but that's because it was more of a mini-campaign with a fleshed out base of operations, rather than just an anthology.
I meant specific adventures.

Shiroiken

Legend
I meant specific adventures.
Sorry. I'd say the first part of The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is really, really good, but he part where you attempt to take the Sea Ghost is a bit iffy. After that The Sunless Citadel is really good for a dungeon crawl. I haven't done either in 5E, but I've really enjoyed both White Plume Mountain and The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan in both AD&D and 3E. I haven't read either of the other two anthologies, so I've got no opinions there.

I've done Against the Giants, and while I've enjoyed it, it has some issues. Due to the size change, you have to change the scale of the map for 1 square to equal 15 ft, otherwise the giants are squeezing pretty much everywhere in their own home. Also, if the party doesn't successfully do it as a stealth mission, it turns into a massive combat slog (the Fire Giant King can't even be done well as a stealth mission due to only one guarded entrance).

Remove ads