• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite/Hated Race - and Why?

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Favorite: Warforged, and for the fluff - not for the mechanics. And probably for the same reasons some people hate 'em.

Not-so-favorite: Gnomes. I never really know what to do with them, without letting them fall into a blanket stereotype of one kind or another. That, and in one campaign I've played in they were responsible for setting off a world-wide zombie plague. Kinda backfired on them, though. Halflings are a close second behind them, though.

Hate: Any race someone I am in the same room with won't shut up about. Usually elf-lovers.

Wik

First Post
Depends on the setting. If we're playing Earthdawn, I very well might say Orks are my favourite race, but if it were Eberron, I'd say they were my least favourite.

But in "core" D&D? Humans probably wind up being my favourite race, simply because of the versatility inherent in the race. You can do a lot with it. Half-Elves come a very close second.

As for most hated race? Probably gnomes, actually. Mostly because they just seem silly, and every time I see one of the poxy blighters, it's just some idiot who wants his character to be "funny". Those who want to play serious "little people" stick to halflings, which are so much better.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Favorite: Half-elf. My half-elf paladin is friend to all, and I like that.

Least favorite: Shardmind. They just seem unbearably silly.

Gnome domination: It doesn't look like it so far; we'll see what the future holds.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Least favorite: Elves, since the 3.x days of an elf for every need with all conceivable stat arrays and having flight, burrowing, phasing, etc. The 100 years old before they are adult was just too annoying to deal with logically. Yes, by the rules, your 100 year old elf is as mature as a 15 year old human Deal with it.

Favorites: Not really sure. Lotta ones out there, but probably Humans, Dwarves and Muls

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Favorite: Humans, hands-down. They're so versatile, and they have the best vices.

Least: Can I do a list? I'm going to do a list.

1) Shardminds. Telepathic living crystal people who used to be part of a gate? Seriously?! Come on!

2) Dragonborn. I don't mind them, but I'm one of those folks who think they work better as a monster race than a default race.

3) Tieflings. At least the 4th edition ones. I vastly prefer the subtle tieflings of 3rd edition.

4) Gnomes. Like many others have said, I just don't know what to do with them. The only way I can see them standing out from halflings is if I use the uber-tech gnomes from Warcraft or Dragonlance. But that only works if I want uber-tech in my campaign...

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Most: Elves (high, wood or grey) or Half-elves...followed by a good ole fashioned hair-footed halfling.

Least: Big toss up. There isn't just one. Tieflings, Dragonborn, Eladrin (cuz we sher did need sum more-elfier elves *rolls eyes*), Warforged or Drow (as PCs)...it's a tough call. But yeah, lots of distaste for any and all of these guys.

Gnomes: Unlikely...no one expects the halfling Inquisition. The gnomes won't stand a chance.

--Steel Dragons

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Favorite: Dwarves and Gnomes, probably*. There's just something about these cousins that appeals to me.

Don't know what to do with: Tieflings, Dragonborn and Halflings.

Remove ads