• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite/Hated Race - and Why?

Favorite: It rotates between Dwarf, Eladrin, and Warforged.

Least favorites:
  • Pre-4E gnomes: totally lacked concept.
  • Shardminds: Wtf? Living crystal would be cool for a monster race, but I'm supposed to let PCs be these things?
  • The alligator tails on 4E Tieflings: they look abnormal large at best, and like hideous cancerous growths at worst. Is it too much to ask that Tieflings be drawn without a third (useless) leg growing out of their backs?
Also, the artwork for Dragonborn kinda sucks: ugly scale-colours and strange hair. (Why do they have hair?) Also, I'm sure someone will mention dragonboobs.

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
Hmmmm... I wonder if there are Elf groupies, like there are Vampire groupies, and humans who believe they're an elf.

Wouldn't that be a kick playing a human who believes it's an elf or a gnome?

pawsplay

Hero
Also, the artwork for Dragonborn kinda sucks: ugly scale-colours and strange hair. (Why do they have hair?) Also, I'm sure someone will mention dragonboobs.

But... dragonborn aren't reptiles! They're monotremes. Who have been grafted on the mammary glands of placental mammals by twisted sorcery... or something.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Least favourite - was gnomes all the way up to 3.5e, but they have been easily supplanted by Eladrin - who could have been great, but a race of teleporters from level 1 upwards breaks my branes. Far too wahoo for my liking.

Favourite? Dunno. Possibly elves (4e), possibly Kalashtar (3e original campaign setting only)

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Favorite fantasy race: Half-Elves. They were the most versatile in 1e, especially as we rarely got high enough in levels for the racial limits to matter much. And they've remained fairly versatile since. I've always liked the idea of Dwarfs, but very rarely play them.

Least favorite: A 3 way tie: Kender, Kender and Kender.

Gnomes: I don't know why everyone thinks Halflings are better, they're just a Tolkien ripoff. I dump them and leave the Gnomes.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Least Favorite: Halflings because I hate kender and it seems that the default personality archetypes for halflings tend to be kender and hobbits.

Favorite: "Magic humans". Why? Humans are boring, but when you give them pointed ear prostetics, some special abilities, then tweekb their stats alittle they become cool.

Gnomes: As long as they aren't WOW gnomes. However, I do agree tht they have no real niche since they double up on halflings and dwarves. Personally I like thinking of them as being a of shoot subrace of dwarves.

Remove ads