• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite/Hated Race - and Why?

Ahnehnois

First Post
Favorite: Humans. Excluding humans, halflings, because they encourage clever play.

Least Favorite: Gnomes. I've play at least one and I think they can be done well, but, well, sometimes they break immersion.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
I got to admit, I've never understood the hatred that elves get. I really don't.
Mostly it is how people who like them seem to never shut up about how much they like them, followed by the absurd amount of varients under 3.5 (especially 3.5 Forgotten Realms). Sun, Moon, Wood, Drow, Star, The FR version of Raptorans, the "core" version of raptorans, half-elfs, several kinds of sea elves - that's at least 10 varients of elves off the top of my head. I'm sure someone more versed in Forgotten Realms knows of even more.

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
Mostly it is how people who like them seem to never shut up about how much they like them, followed by the absurd amount of varients under 3.5 (especially 3.5 Forgotten Realms). Sun, Moon, Wood, Drow, Star, The FR version of Raptorans, the "core" version of raptorans, half-elfs, several kinds of sea elves - that's at least 10 varients of elves off the top of my head. I'm sure someone more versed in Forgotten Realms knows of even more.

Yeah, why can't there be that many variants of humans or halfings or gnomes or dwarves?

Votan

Explorer
Yeah, why can't there be that many variants of humans or halfings or gnomes or dwarves?

Well, Pathfinder has far more human cultures than varieties of elf. I think the odd part of the 3E elf was the need to give different stat modifiers to represent cultural differences. If we want to do that then humans would have been a logical place to start.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Favorite race pre-3e: Half-Elves; they had the greatest amount of multi-class choices
Favorite races 3e (incl Pathfinder): Human, Aasimar, Gnoll, Dwarf/Duergar, Goblin; special mention Drow, Warforged.
Favorite races 4e: Tiefling, Warforged, Halfling, Half-Elf

Gnome: offspring of a halfling and dwarf. Nothing special about 'em. Warcraft did 'em best, and I still won't play one.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
As a side note, I would just like to point out that if you choose "Character Builds" for your thread heading, it displays as "Slick Builds." :erm:

Pentius

First Post
Favorites: Hm...

Humans: A lot of people like to pretend that picking a racial stereotype is the same as picking a race, and it's much harder to do that with Humans(someone, somewhere, is taking me up on this challenge, I am sure)

Shifters: Animal enough to claw your eyes out, Human enough not to trip my furry alarms.

Genasi: Fun concept, and very flexible, with all the different elemental types.

Least Favorites:

Elves: I mean, a good player can play an elf, no problem, but I just hate the "We have no flaws" Tolkien style elf that gets played so often.

Kender: They worked in the books. Specifically as characters that were funny because they weren't directly interacting with you. At a game table, a player telling you his character is a Kender might as well just say, "I'd like to troll you all for several hours, once a week. But you can't get mad, because it's roleplaying."

TarionzCousin

Least Favorites:

Elves: I mean, a good player can play an elf, no problem, but I just hate the "We have no flaws" Tolkien style elf that gets played so often.
elves.jpg

TarionzCousin

At a game table, a player telling you his character is a Kender might as well just say, "I'd like to troll you all for several hours, once a week. But you can't get mad, because it's roleplaying."
Yeah, there are some characters that just set off my alarms:

Kender
Certain Halflings who strongly resemble Kender
4E Drow Warlocks (they injure their allies to do extra damage)
Half-Orcs from Broken Homes who want to tell you their brutal backstory
Barbarians whose players resemble Leroy Jenkins

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any at the moment.

--Did I just tangent-ize my own thread? :hmm:

Remove ads