• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Favorite Obscure Rules from TSR-era D&D

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
This doesn't quite qualify as an obscure rule, but I loved the Etiquette non-Weapon Proficiency. For me it also captures the fundamental difference in approach to this stuff between TSR and WOTC era:

View attachment 364921

View attachment 364922

The entry was a little different I believe in the 1989 edition of the PHB (this is the black cover revised that came out in the mid-90s). But don't feel like digging for that in my stack of books.

I just like that it preserves the RP by having it function more like a knowledge skill

Also NWPs being 100% optional and one of two major methods in 2E, is something I think a lot of people missed (I have gamed with a number of folks who seemed to think they were core to the game----but most modules I played didn't even bother with them).
It is interesting that modules didn't bother with them, but many products post-PHB basically assumed they were in play, like Kits (the Thief-Acrobat basically said: "if you're not using proficiencies, your Thief-Acrobat gets proficiencies")*, and most campaign settings added a few.

I could only assume the rulebook writers loved them and the module writers either didn't, or couldn't assume their use.

*Heck, the Bard in the PHB gets bonus proficiencies and there's no sign of a replacement if the "optional" rules aren't in use!

James Gasik

Supporter
To cover this admittedly rare situation, I invented a new spell "Renouncement" (7th Cleric) that, when cast on a willing target, completely and harmlessly removes a class - along with any and all associated benefits, penalties, etc. - from someone who doesn't want it any more. If single-class, the target becomes a 0th-level commoner; if double-class*, the character becomes single-class in the one that isn't Renounced. It fails outright if cast on an unwilling, compelled, or charmed target.

This came about due to a PC in an old campaign of mine who, after a non-forced change of heart and ethos, wanted to completely give up Thieving and become a Cleric; yet the game mechanics held no means for him to completely drop the old class before starting over.

* - I don't allow triple-classing.
Wow, given that you're losing all your accrued xp, why is the spell so high level?

Also, I wonder what happens if you own a hat of difference in these situations.

It is interesting that modules didn't bother with them, but many products post-PHB basically assumed they were in play, like Kits (the Thief-Acrobat basically said: "if you're not using proficiencies, your Thief-Acrobat gets proficiencies")*, and most campaign settings added a few.

I could only assume the rulebook writers loved them and the module writers either didn't, or couldn't assume their use.

*Heck, the Bard in the PHB gets bonus proficiencies and there's no sign of a replacement if the "optional" rules aren't in use!

I think that is because Kits themselves were optional (even each of those books were fully optional----which definitely meant more back in the TSR days) and NWPs were pretty good tools for the kind of customization they wanted in those brown books. When I was playing it was standard for the GM to vet and often deny any kit a player might propose (either because it didn't fit the setting or was deemed imbalancing)

I do remember quite liking the Complete Bard's Handbook

James Gasik

Supporter
Because it's big-time magic that lesser Clerics aren't capable of casting. :)

Oh, and I should mention that you can't cast it on yourself either.

What's a hat of difference?
Oh it's a magic item in Unearthed Arcana, when you put it on, it allows you to assume a new character class, starting at level 1, and you lose your other class abilities while wearing it. A friend of mine has this wacky multiclass character who owns one of those. Anytime he introduces a new character, we have to ask him if it's his old character in disguise, because he loves doing that, just assuming a new persona and pretending to be a character of a different class.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Oh it's a magic item in Unearthed Arcana, when you put it on, it allows you to assume a new character class, starting at level 1, and you lose your other class abilities while wearing it. A friend of mine has this wacky multiclass character who owns one of those. Anytime he introduces a new character, we have to ask him if it's his old character in disguise, because he loves doing that, just assuming a new persona and pretending to be a character of a different class.

Unearthed Arcana, man.

It's why I like to differentiate 1e pre- and post-UA. There are a few gems buried in that book, along with a whole avalanche of unplayable and terrible rules that will completely destroy the game's balance if used.

It's almost like it was a cash grab of Dragon articles that was put together in haste, with little thought as to how it would affect play. ;)

As I like to say, there are only two good things about UA-

The polearms, Appendix T. That was cool
The fact that the binding in it was so bad that all copies of it disintegrated within two years.

Unearthed Arcana, man.

It's why I like to differentiate 1e pre- and post-UA. There are a few gems buried in that book, along with a whole avalanche of unplayable and terrible rules that will completely destroy the game's balance if used.

It's almost like it was a cash grab of Dragon articles that was put together in haste, with little thought as to how it would affect play. ;)

As I like to say, there are only two good things about UA-

The polearms, Appendix T. That was cool
The fact that the binding in it was so bad that all copies of it disintegrated within two years.
I dunno, I am a fan of the barbarism and thief-acrobat, even if both are kind of wonky. They have tons of flavor and neat little abilities.

Snarf Zagyg

I dunno, I am a fan of the barbarism and thief-acrobat, even if both are kind of wonky. They have tons of flavor and neat little abilities.

The barbarian is a massively overpowered class that is limited by the Ggaxian gatekeeping of being unable to function in a D&D party if you abide by the rules. They can't associate with clerics until level 2, and they can only associate with magic users at level 6 ... WHEN NECESSARY. By the rules, they can never be in a ... you know ... party with a MU (at level 8, they can do so occasionally, but that wouldn't be an actual party).

The thief-acrobat is full of flavor, but it loses thief skills at level 5 (when they are still pretty useless) to gain athletic skills that aren't actually useful ... and that's for high-level play! (Levels 6-23!!!!). So it's a prestige class that is actually weaker than the base class.

Like I said, a lot of great ideas, but you can't actually use most of them as written.

Snarf Zagyg

@deganawida

I would add that if you like Barbarians in 1e, I was always partial to the Asbury version in White Dwarf 4. With just a little bit of tweaking, it is both playable and fits in perfectly with the other classes while keeping the right flavor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads