• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite third party monster book

Your favorite 3rd party monster book

• Monsternomicon

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Denizens of Avadnu

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Tomes of Horrors

Votes: 57 38.5%
  • Creature Collections

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Book of Fiends

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • Bestiary of Krynn

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Other, please specify below

Votes: 13 8.8%

paradox42

First Post
IH Epic Bestiary. You get a lot more than just monsters with it, and if monsters are really all you care about, then it's got some of the most evocative and interesting ones out there.

Of the ones in the poll, I'd go with Denizens of Avadnu.

And to the OP: if Complete Minions is your favorite, then why didn't it get a poll option? :confused:

Pants

First Post
It's a standoff between the ToH series and the Monsternomicon.

I think I'll give it to the ToHs, since I've used them much more while the Monsternomicon is mainly just good reading material for me.

JustinA

Banned
Banned
Voadam said:
What 3rd party monster book is your favorite?

Man, that's a toughie. In terms of the most-used monster books, it's a close tie between Tome of Horrors, Minions, and Book of Fiends. Those have all gotten more use than any monster book except the Monster Manual itself.

But the Monsternomicon is really neat, too -- I just haven't been running the right campaigns for it since it came out.

So, rather than make a tough decision, I've decided to opt out since I contributed to the Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary and am, thus, biased. ;)

Justin Alexander
http://www.thealexandrian.net

Nepenthe

First Post
The Revised Bestiary of Krynn is very good... not sure if that should be BoK or other, though ;)

That said, it's probably too specific for a poll like this, but the top-notch production values make it the only choice for me :)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Denizens of Avadnu is the best monster book next to the Monster Manual

I like the Tome of Horrors, but it's popularity is based primarily in nostalgia, I think. It's got a LOT of monsters, too.

So the ToH is good, but only if you miss the Flumph. (they're hard not to miss!)

If you're looking for a monster book that will knock your pants off and have its way with you, Denizens of Avadnu will do that and make you like it. ;)

senodam

First Post
Dangerous Denizens. It's always felt like a cool 'low level' monster book, in spite of the handful of high CR creatures, which is a good thing IMO. I've used it more than most of my other books, and it's mechanics are spot on.
My only complaints are the region maps, which are useless in my copy, since they look like gray splodges rather than maps, and the large number of silly golems.

I'm a fan of the Creature Collections as well, but the art & mechanics is a big blow against them.
Honourable mention goes to the WoW Monster Guide, which I'm reading at the moment and enjoying quite a bit- I'm surprised overall at the quality of the Warcraft stuff.

Remove ads