D&D 5E Favorite Unusual Races/Lineages

BookTenTiger

He / Him
And for those saying that Tasha did not implement power creep and that Floating ASIs are not a powergamer option: "1) Tortle - Mechanically robust (17 AC to start is excellent for spellcasters)..." But at least, it's clear and assumed.
Why are you dragging that conversation into this one? Do you really want this thread to devolve into the same arguments?

Anyways...

My favorites:

Minotaur: I've always loved the crazy, convoluted myth of the Greek Minotaur, so playing one in a game is a real treat.

Goblin: I'm playing a cowardly Goblin Paladin right now, which is a lot of fun! I'm enjoying playing a creature that is usually easily defeated by 1st Level Characters.

Warforged: Just so many cool character concepts! I like to come up with narratives of how a Warforged would become a Warlock, or a Druid, or a Barbarian... This is a race that really tells a story.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Why are you dragging that conversation into this one? Do you really want this thread to devolve into the same arguments?

Consider it a side note if you will, but it's such an obvious, undisputable example of the case, seeing how some races which were not even talked about before crop up now for purely technical reasons right at the top of the list. :p

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Consider it a side note if you will, but it's such an obvious, undisputable example of the case, seeing how some races which were not even talked about before crop up now for purely technical reasons right at the top of the list. :p
200.gif

BookTenTiger

He / Him
1) I think this thread proves that people choose races for a variety of reasons, not just one.

2) Dragging a contentious argument into a different thread just to say "See? I win!" seems like poor form.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Insulting other members
1) I think this thread proves that people choose races for a variety of reasons, not just one.

Amd still, some races are at the top of the list for significant technical advantage granted by the purely power option from Tasha. Quite significant, that's all.

2) Dragging a contentious argument into a different thread just to say "See? I win!" seems like poor form.

Well, at least some people are honest about their choices and the reasons for them, which is something that is also worth pointing out.

Paul Smart

Explorer
2) Changeling - Look like anyone or anything, just filled with roleplaying hooks.
Changeling. I mean, what's not to love? Pick whatever aesthetic you want, make a very versatile character, go man go.
Changeling: Had a lot of fun with my Changeling in Eberron. They had three distinct forms and personalities they took on from their rogue class: a writer of pulp fiction, a detective and a "new age" healer type.
Changelings are fantastic. Right now they would be #6 on my list, but depending on the day they can go right up to #2. For a spy-type game, there is no better race. I also love them as assassins. A changeling Soul Knife is scary good.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Changelings are fantastic. Right now they would be #6 on my list, but depending on the day they can go right up to #2. For a spy-type game, there is no better race. I also love them as assassins. A changeling Soul Knife is scary good.
honestly, I would rather have changelings to half-elves as hybrids always make it more complicated and then you get like a half orc, half man half vampire and that is just super difficult to make sense of.

Remove ads