D&D (2024) Feat Chains are Incompatible with Easy CharGen + 1st Lev Feats

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The only real reason to have a feat chain in 5e is if the first feat gives a novel active ability that the second feat then modifies to make more powerful. That could conceivably happen since they're planning on now treating feats as "non-class specific class features" (or something like that.) Otherwise, they should in now way make strong feats at higher levels that are balanced with the idea that you took a lesser version at earlier levels.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My only worry about feat chains is that they have always been wrong about the first feat needing to be weaker than feats that don’t start a chain, and don’t seem to have learned that lesson, based on the Dragonlance UAs.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My only worry about feat chains is that they have always been wrong about the first feat needing to be weaker than feats that don’t start a chain, and don’t seem to have learned that lesson, based on the Dragonlance UAs.
That depends on if the feat down the chain is stronger than most second feats you would take. If not, then you are correct and the first one should be the same as the rest. If the second one is stronger than normal, then the first one has to be weaker or you turn the chain into something that is too good and everyone will take it.

IMO feat chains should be thematic chains, not 'power chains'.
Feat A is about as useful and power as other feats available at the given time.
Feat B (which is a 'follow up') to feat A, is about as useful and powerful as other feats available at the given time.

Having A be weaker because B is stronger is a form of 'balance' that harkens back to much earlier editions where a Wizard was a [carry] class and then became the [awesome] class if it survived long enough. You have to be bad now (for who knows how long) to be better then.

Which leads to the obvious problem of : well, if you're stronger [then], that can easily lead to problems at the table - seeing as you're stronger that the other players. If you're not stronger [then], then why did you have to be weaker [before]... ?

This type of approach works very well when the delay between the time-states is small. In 5e, the delay between the acquisition of feats, is not quick enough to make this work IMO. And that's not even talking about the fact that [then] might never happen...

Of course, some people enjoy this approach - or have the conditions required to have it be fun - and good on them. But I do not wish for the general game to be headed in this direction.

Lojaan

Hero
The assumption here are is that 1st level feats are part of feat chains, and that the chains themselves are complex. We don't have enough information yet to draw a conclusion on this.

Wait and see, and focus feedback on what is in front of us. Not what it might become.

We have potentially TWO YEARS of play testing people. Pace yourselves.

doctorbadwolf

I'm okay either way. I doubt there would be many chains, and like someone mentioned earlier, they would probably only be 2 feats long. Having it limited to level, though, works as well.

One thing they could do with feat chains is to make them automatic. Pick a 4th level feat and it advances in strength at 8th level, rather than costing a second feat. It could be a more power version of the abilities granted at 4th level, or the addition of another ability to the 4th level feat at 8th level.
Another way to go is to have variable prerequisites. Ie, “any feat that grants spells” or “any feat that grants a proficiency”, etc.

The Knight of Solamnia feats could require any feat which grants superiority dice.

doctorbadwolf

That depends on if the feat down the chain is stronger than most second feats you would take. If not, then you are correct and the first one should be the same as the rest. If the second one is stronger than normal, then the first one has to be weaker or you turn the chain into something that is too good and everyone will take it.
I disagree completely. Simply having a prerequisite feat allows for a little extra oomph, as long as it isn’t a big difference.

But I don’t care either way. As long as we don’t have a 3/.5 Dodge feat situation, or even the Dragonlance UA feat chains where you can take a strictly inferior feat in order to gain a feat that is maybe in the top third of feats by power, but not above the power level of the PHB.

That and feats that unlock things that everyone should be able to do are my main deal breakers, for feats.

It's not really a question of simplicity vs complexity per se, but one of information design. There are any number of ttrpgs, supplements, and video games that do this, but they could also just look at one of their own products:

Instead of/in addition to just an alphabetical list, feats (and things like invocations, etc) could be organized visually. There could even be character creation flow charts, where a new player can answer a few questions about who their character is and 'discover' their class or background by following the chart. Session 0 could include a procedure that tells DMs how to guide character creation and how the PCs choices necessarily impact their setting. All of these things can be displayed on a single A4 page, maybe even available as a free pdf to print out or otherwise distribute.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I disagree completely. Simply having a prerequisite feat allows for a little extra oomph, as long as it isn’t a big difference.

But I don’t care either way. As long as we don’t have a 3/.5 Dodge feat situation, or even the Dragonlance UA feat chains where you can take a strictly inferior feat in order to gain a feat that is maybe in the top third of feats by power, but not above the power level of the PHB.

That and feats that unlock things that everyone should be able to do are my main deal breakers, for feats.
I totally agree with you that we can't have a dodge situation, but the level of 5e feats is such that even the half feats are much better than dodge, so I don't think that's going to be an issue.

Remove ads