D&D (2024) Feat Chains are Incompatible with Easy CharGen + 1st Lev Feats

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The new UA playtesting the upcoming D&D revisions for 2024 introduce 1st level feats, which are intended per the designers to:

1) Make it easy on beginners to pick a feat without being overwhelmed by the number of choices.

As stated by Crawford, “Feat selection should not be overwhelming, and one way to do that is to break feats up into smaller groups, like with levels. If something tells you to go pick a first level feat, then that tells you right away I can ignore all the feats on this book that are 4th level, or 20th level, or any other level of feats. Instead you can focus on just the 1st level feats.”

However,

2) Feat Chains increase the incentive to be overwhelmed by the number of choices. Where one more powerful feat requires that you already have a prior lesser fear, you will have an incentive to know all the higher level feat prerequisite lower level feats out of fear you will lock out options you might way at higher levels with your choice. You essentially need to plan out much of your adventuring career from character creation if higher level feats have prerequisites impacted by your 1st level feat.

Finally,

3) A solution to this dilemma of allowing you to swap out your 1st level feat at higher levels is incompatible with the notion that your 1st level feat is part of your culture, which is represented by your background. Here Crawford emphasizes repeatedly that the 1st level feat choice is something you've been doing for years, and is tied to who you were before you took up adventuring. This feat, more than any other feat in your adventuring career, is tied closely to your culture. It would make no sense that you suddenly "forgot" your culture at a higher level so you could pick up a new ability which is literally something you just learned. Nor would you want to create a mechanics incentive to ignore your culture.

I'm therefore concluding from this that feat chains won't work, or won't work well, with the policy incentives of character generation being easy and not overwhelming for beginners and 1st level feats being part of your culture.

The best solution I can think of is to eliminate feat chains. Let the only prerequisite be level.

What do you think about these concepts? Do you think feat chains can work well with the goals of non-overwhelming character generation for beginners and 1st level feats being part of your characters culture?

Horwath

Legend
1) Make it easy on beginners to pick a feat without being overwhelmed by the number of choices.

As stated by Crawford, “Feat selection should not be overwhelming, and one way to do that is to break feats up into smaller groups, like with levels. If something tells you to go pick a first level feat, then that tells you right away I can ignore all the feats on this book that are 4th level, or 20th level, or any other level of feats. Instead you can focus on just the 1st level feats.”
Crawford could get off his high horse and stop underestimating intelligence of new players.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Intelligence isn't the same thing as being overwhelmed by number of choices when you're first introduced to something. I don't even think they're related.
Some people you can take to a restaurant with a huge menu, or lots of combinations like a meat and three, and they'll hone right in on what they want and order. And others... well, the rest of the table gets to put the free drink refills to the test. Has never seemed related to intelligence to me.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
2) Feat Chains increase the incentive to be overwhelmed by the number of choices. Where one more powerful feat requires that you already have a prior lesser fear, you will have an incentive to know all the higher level feat prerequisite lower level feats out of fear you will lock out options you might way at higher levels with your choice. You essentially need to plan out much of your adventuring career from character creation if higher level feats have prerequisites impacted by your 1st level feat.
Could they fix it somewhat if the first level feats had a box below summarizing what was down the chain if you picked that one? And also by making sure none of the chains had too many entries on them? (Shoot, missed that because of my 1st level choice, but got the pre-req at 3rd....).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Do we know yet whether the 1st level Background feats are going to be the base of feat chains though?

It might be that it's just some of the 4th level ones have 8th level secondary feats... at which point the game and the designers are assuming players have learned the game enough that it isn't overwhelming to read them both and make a decision.

Some of the Dragonlance ones were 1st level, right? Don't remember. But maybe the 2024 PHB won't be following in those footsteps?

Last edited:

One way feat chains and first level feats could work would be the situation where feat chains always exclude 1st level feats. If chains start latter, you don't have to consider the latter options - at first level. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

A second way (that is very very hard to pull off in a growing non-digital-only format) is to have the chain entirely spelled out on each feat. Think how it works in [7 Wonders]* : when you get a card that also functions as the cost for a future card, you have that information on the card.
1661190454434.png

This does mean that chains can't be 'added to/modified' latter without serious hassle...
This is similar to how 13th Age lists the feat chain associated with a power right there with the power.

JThursby

Adventurer
Do you think feat chains can work well with the goals of non-overwhelming character generation for beginners and 1st level feats being part of your characters culture?
I would be extremely surprised if the number of options presented will be actually overwhelming. When there are games like 3.5, PF1e, and PF2e that were all big successes with their large amount of feats, it beggars belief that the new D&D edition would deliberately exceed that amount of choice in their feat selection.
Crawford could get off his high horse and stop underestimating intelligence of new players.
Crawford is a master of phrasing simple concepts in a way that sounds condescending and corporate. I don't disagree with what he said in principle, but thinking the audience he's talking to needs hand holding to understand the concept of level prerequisites is insulting.

Mistwell

Could they fix it somewhat if the first level feats had a box below summarizing what was down the chain if you picked that one? And also by making sure none of the chains had too many entries on them? (Shoot, missed that because of my 1st level choice, but got the pre-req at 3rd....).
I guess it would help if you told people what was coming down the line, but then choosing one of those down the line means you lose the option to choose something else at that level. Which you'd want to know about before you expend that limited resource of your first level feat.

As for the second option of making sure chains don't have too many entries on them, that could work but it also kinda defeats some of the purpose of a feat chain to begin with?

Mistwell

Do we know yet whether the 1st level Background feats are going to the the base of feat chains though?

It might be that it's just some of the 4th level ones have 8th level secondary feats... at which point the game and the designers are assuming players have learned the game enough that it isn't overwhelming to read them both and make a decision.

Some of the Dragonlance ones were 1st level, right? Don't remember. But maybe the 2024 PHB won't be following in those footsteps?
One way feat chains and first level feats could work would be the situation where feat chains always exclude 1st level feats. If chains start latter, you don't have to consider the latter options - at first level.
We don't know for sure that the 1st level feats are part of feat chains. If they're not, that goes a long way to addressing this issue, maybe entirely solving it.

Remove ads