Feat: Scriptophile

bleezy

First Post
You have a natural talent for deciphering magical scrolls, gaining the following benefits:
  • Increase your Intelligence or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
  • You can use any spell scroll as if its spell were on your class spell list.
  • When you make an ability check to determine if you successfully cast a spell from a spell scroll, add your proficiency bonus to that check.

I love the concept of this feat- it lets any character experience the joy of rolling on the scroll mishap table. Is the power level appropriate?

Last edited by a moderator:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I like the idea, but don't like the name. "Scrollbearer"? "Dweomer Scribe"?

Also seems a bit weak to me, since it's very dependent on finding scrolls. I wonder if you could incorporate a modest scroll-creation mechanism? Perhaps: when you take the feat, and every time you gain a level thereafter, you can create at no cost one (perhaps more?) scrolls containing a spell that you can cast at your new level.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The problem I see with this is that it is simultaneously
a) Really weak. Scrolls by default are not that common, and the odds of a random scroll being perfect for what you want or even a powerful spell in it's own right is pretty slim.
b) Really powerful. If you happen to stumble upon the right scrolls and lots of them, you could end up with permanent enhancements, combinations of spells not meant to be, spells being cast without their true worth being paid (wish, for instance) and the like.

Lanliss

Explorer
Seems pretty reasonable, and can be balanced whenever you want to in-game by deciding that an enemy happens to have a scroll on them, or by removing a scroll that was there before.

Remove ads