D&D 5E Feat to negate disadvantage in casting spells at close range?

Is there a feat to negate disadvantage in casting (range attack) spells at close range (melee)? Tried to search PHB and DMG , can't find any... Thanks!

Last edited:

Voort

Explorer
No, not that I know of. You either roll with the disadvantage or move away from the enemy & eat the Attack of Opportunity.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Is there a feat to negate disadvantage in casting spells at close range? Tried to search PHB and DMG , can't find any... Thanks!

Thereis no disadvantage to casting spells, but disadvantage to ranged attack rolls in melee. Take more than one damage cantrip, ie shocking grasp is a melee attack spell, or poison spray is a save or damage.

Crossbow Expert - Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn’t
impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.

I'm pretty sure either Jeremy Crawford or Mike Mearls clarified that that was meant to apply to crossbow attacks only, though I admit I can't find the source right now.

Rocksome

Explorer
It does however imply practice at targetting while distracted in melee, that a wizard etc could extend to their magical attacks.

RAW, it works as is and I'd personally consider it RAI too. I'd allow it if the caster was willing to spend a feat on it and it made the game more fun for them.

rjfTrebor

Banned
Banned
there should be a feat that removes the penalty for dropping below 0 hit points, and another that lets you have unlimited spells slots and AC.

not every penalty should be easily negated. it's like a maze with no walls.

jadrax

Adventurer
Ryan Giakoumatos @Eoffram_Troyas
Just wondering, is crossbow expert working on ranged spell attacks rules as intended? @mikemearls @Wizards_DnD
Mike Mearls @mikemearls
@Eoffram_Troyas @Wizards_DnD yes - feat does not specific crossbow or weapon attacks
5:36 PM - 16 Sep 2014

[MENTION=6775031]Saelorn[/MENTION] has it right.

Last edited:

Remove ads