• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feather Tokens. What interesting ways have you used them.

Corbert

Explorer
So, what interesting and unique way have you or your players used a feather token in your game?

I had an NPC use a Tree Token to push back a PC that was laying a smackdown on him. I could have had him activate it underneath himself so he would be 60' up and have time to heal, but I decide the character was too arrogant to run.

Also, a few rounds later the NPC activated a Daern's Instant Fortress at the base of the tree. The PC failed his save and took 57 points of damage from the Fortress, and the party cleric failed a save and got hit by the tree after the Fortress knocked it over on him.

axp_dave

First Post
Our party used the tree token to assault a gith fortress. The fortress was two towers with a bridge connecting them. The Gith put all of their resources protecting the doors to the towers and a little on the roof. Someone in our party used the tree token and allowed us climb the tree under cover to the bridge and bash down that door. The DM loved the idea as it really suprised him and all his preps for the gith didn't take the bridge into consideration.

The tree token was one treasure item that was forgotten for a long time and really came in handy that session.

SteelDraco

First Post
I've seen the tree token used to give a druid a location he can teleport to, using Transport Via Plants. It won't last forever, if the tree is created in a location where it can't survive (like a desert), but it is handy.

I've not yet gotten around to it, but I've been tempted to sit down with the magic item creation rules, and see what it would take to create a magic arrow that is essentially a Tree Token with range. :D

RigaMortus2

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Yep, I've used the tree offensively, too. I've activated one under an NPC enemy, and one in the air above him.

When I found the use for these tokens, my DM would not allow me to do that. I was using them to block corridors when we were in tight quarters (like in a dungeon), which was fine. But when I tried to toss a token under an enemy so that the tree would sprout under him and shoot him up 60' in the air, my DM wouldn't allow it. He said you could Activate the token and drop it, but you couldn't Activate it and Throw it at an enemy (like a grenade0like weapon) since you only get 1 Standard Action a round, and Activating an item and making a Throw (essentially a ranged attack) both take up Standard Actions.

Oh well, worked while it lasted :)

RigaMortus2 said:
When I found the use for these tokens, my DM would not allow me to do that. I was using them to block corridors when we were in tight quarters (like in a dungeon), which was fine. But when I tried to toss a token under an enemy so that the tree would sprout under him and shoot him up 60' in the air, my DM wouldn't allow it. He said you could Activate the token and drop it, but you couldn't Activate it and Throw it at an enemy (like a grenade0like weapon) since you only get 1 Standard Action a round, and Activating an item and making a Throw (essentially a ranged attack) both take up Standard Actions.

Oh well, worked while it lasted :)

I actually agree--activating and throwing are both standard actions.

That's why I either dropped it from above, or made sure I was in melee range at the time. The tree's only 5-feet in diameter, after all. :)

Corbert

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
I actually agree--activating and throwing are both standard actions.

That's why I either dropped it from above, or made sure I was in melee range at the time. The tree's only 5-feet in diameter, after all. :)

Yeah, dropping an item is a free action, so that would work great.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads