• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feats for Monks

matthewajg

First Post
I am looking to build a 7th level Monk, probably human, and I have never played this particular class before...so I am soliciting suggestions on feat chains.

It is important to note that this Monk will only deal sub-dual damage to living opponents, as his religions prohibits killing. However, undead and other non-living opponents would be free game.

Thoughts?

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Snap Kick (get a free additional attack every round, but has to be an unarmed strike) and Superior Unarmed Strike (increases unarmed strike damage) are both really good for monks. Those feats are from Tome of Battle.

In fact, I encourage you to pick up that book and consider taking a level or two in a martial adept class. Many of the martial maneuvers evoke the flavor of a crouching tiger, hidden dragon kind of monk.

That said, also consider Roundabout Kick (complete warrior), Flying Kick (complete warrior), Sun School (complete warrior tactical feat), and even Weapon Focus: Unarmed Strike.

Also take a good look at the grappling feats. Monks are scary when they're grappling, and can effectively remove weak targets (like most spellcasters) from the fight if they can establish a hold. Grappling and pinning also fit in with your "no killing" concept. So, yes, when you get the option, definitely choose Improved Grapple as a bonus feat.

Lastly, take a look at the style variants from Unearthed Arcana. Denying Stance and Passive Way, in particular, are pretty great. http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedCoreClass.html#monk

-z

PS: take a look at the various vow feats in Book of Righteous Deeds. They might not fit exactly, but you and a good DM can come up with something that fits. For example, Vow of Nonviolence restricts you from doing lethal damage to humanoids, and in return gives you +4 to the save DC of any non-damaging spells you cast. As written, that's useless to you--but maybe you could change it to +4 to the save DC of your Stunning Fist attacks.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads