D&D (2024) 1st level monk. Why?

codo

Hero
With the current playtest? You don't get step of the wind until 2nd. So no. A level 1 dip into monk literally gives you nothing as it stands.
I would say a free bonus action attack for 1d6 +3 (that stacks with dual wielding) is a pretty good benefit for a 1 lvl dip. It's situational, and requires a good dex and wisdom (because you need to use unarmored defense to use your bonus action attack), but what ranger wouldn't want a free bonus action attack.

mellored

Legend
I would say a free bonus action attack for 1d6 +3 (that stacks with dual wielding) is a pretty good benefit for a 1 lvl dip. It's situational, and requires a good dex and wisdom (because you need to use unarmored defense to use your bonus action attack), but what ranger wouldn't want a free bonus action attack.
Barbarian takes a level of monk.

You have your own unarmored defense. And you can still punch with Str.

So just 13 Wis and you get a bonus action attack, which is reckless and gets rage damage.

codo

Hero
Barbarian takes a level of monk.

You have your own unarmored defense. And you can still punch with Str.

So just 13 Wis and you get a bonus action attack, which is reckless and gets rage damage.
I didn't think of that. Unarmed Strikes using strength also stack with the barbarians bonus rage damage. Come to think of it, a monk dip would also work really well on a wild shaped Druid. Kung Fu Grizzlies for the win!

mellored

Legend
I didn't think of that. Unarmed Strikes using strength also stack with the barbarians bonus rage damage. Come to think of it, a monk dip would also work really well on a wild shaped Druid. Kung Fu Grizzlies for the win!
Druids have medium armor, and their animal attacks are not "simple weapons or unarmed attacks." So I don't see much benefit at 1.

Level 2 monk features would all work though. Furry of blows only requires an attack action.

codo

Hero
Druids have medium armor, and their animal attacks are not "simple weapons or unarmed attacks." So I don't see much benefit at 1.

Level 2 monk features would all work though. Furry of blows only requires an attack action.
Your right, I was conflating unarmed strikes with natural attacks. Wild shape beasts could still make unarmed strikes to get the bonus action attack though. Not great but there could be usable in the right situation.

mellored

Legend
Your right, I was conflating unarmed strikes with natural attacks.
You would still get the 1d6+Str or Dex unarmed attack. But that's not all that useful by itself.
And at higher level, the unarmored defense might be higher as well.
Wild shape beasts could still make unarmed strikes to get the bonus action attack though.
You need a "Attack action with an Unarmed Strike or a Simple Weapon" to do the basic bonus attack.

2 levels gets you the extra movement speed, and furry of blows that only needs an "attack action".

Pretty sure beasts still use "attack actions." So that would trigger.

And of course, there is always bribing your DM with pizza.

If they use their resources.

Fighter's get three attacks, every turn. Paladins get +1d8 to all attacks, every turn.

Getting more ki to spend on more abilities doesn't increase the damage you can do, especially when you were required to flurry to keep up anyways.
Without spending Di Points on flurry of blows, 11th level Monks can also make 3 attacks dealing 1d10+Dex damage (using their bonus action from Martial Arts). That's fine as a baseline, especially if you have a weapon mastery that adds a lil sumpin sumpin to your efforts for free.

If they want to spend Di points, they can start with a Stunning Strike, which if successful they'll get advantage on their following 2 strikes on that turn. They can even choose to Flurry to get more out of that advantage.

To be fair, as a monk lover and a DM to monks, I appreciate that the stun no longer lasts through 2 rounds of monk attacks. That was too much. multiround Stunlock at advantage is a feelbad for DMs.

Stalker0

Legend
Agrede. Too much of their power budget is spent on a ribbon ability of "function with no gear". Achieving baseline without equipment isnt a perk, it's a flavor ability. It should be valued about as much as Thieves Cant.
Completely agree. Sure that one time the party is thrown in jail and the monk is still at full power..it’s great.

Just as great as that one time the Druids secret use of Druidic was a big help to the party, etc

This completely misses the point. If I just looked at making a character, and one character was the exact same but better, wouldn't that be a problem?
But they aren't and if they were then the monk would be strictly better- and level 1 is fleeting. I do agree that the monk probably needs a second wind for multiple reasons.
And the fighter can switch to their longsword with flex. Same difference.
If this is about stowing one weapon to draw another in the middle of a round I agree that weapon juggling like this is inane.

Remove ads