Feats for two weapon shield and spear style?

A2Z

Explorer
I'm trying to design a fighter who uses a shield and a spear to fight. I'm wondering what feats are out there to make this work.

So far I've got

Monkey Grip, (essential to use a spear one handed)
Two-Weapon Fighting
Improved Shield Bash
Agile Shield Fighter [PHBII]

Any ideas?

Pinotage

Explorer
Most of the shield feats in PHB II are useful, but I thought I'd point out the Shieldbearer prestige class from the product Master at Arms: Shieldbearer (Blackdirge Publishing). It's a great class that allows you to make the most of the shield and spear fighting style, ala 300.

Pinotage

Darkwolf71

First Post
A2Z said:
I'm trying to design a fighter who uses a shield and a spear to fight. I'm wondering what feats are out there to make this work.

So far I've got

Monkey Grip, (essential to use a spear one handed)
Two-Weapon Fighting
Improved Shield Bash
Agile Shield Fighter [PHBII]

Any ideas?
1) Monkey Grip doesn't work that way. Unless you are using it to wield a large sized short spear?

Look at using a trident instead. Free up a feat.

2) You don't need two weapon fighting if you're going to get Agile shield fighter. They do the same thing, except ASF has no Dex requirement.

Frees up another feat.
It also means you don't need to take your dex above a 10 if you're going to be wearing full plate.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

nittanytbone

First Post
To make TWF efficient, you must get a source of bonus damage for both hands. Common sources include:

Cleric's Divine Favor spell
Rogue's sneak attack
Ranger's Favored Enemy
Bard's Inspire Courage

I'd suggest going the cleric route, actually, perhaps with a dip into Human Paragon in order to get an extra feat. You lose a caster level but you're feat starved, so that's how it goes. You could also do a Rogue dip for Sneak Attack, skills, and trapfinding, and be the party's scout/trap monkey as well. Since you really are using Cleric for the Divine Favor spell, it could look like: Cleric X/Rogue 3/Human Paragon 3. The lost caster levels are a loss of power, but you can use Practiced Spellcaster to make up for the lost CL in regards to your favorite buff.

Spears are only a simple weapon so you don't need MWP. When you grab a Human Paragon level select the shield as your free MWP for offense. Clerics are extremely versatile and even with a suboptimal fighting style you can still hang in there and hold your own with typical characters.

Wield a short spear. The damage boost from a spear is not worth the -2 to hit from monkeygrip or the waste of a feat on a suboptimal choice like monkeygrip. It solves several problems for you.

eamon

Explorer
You want a spiked shield. This deals piercing damage.

Then, you want Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization with the spear or trident

You can gain Melee Weapon Mastery (piercing) for another +2 on damage and to-hit with both your shield and your spear.

A similar thing would be achievable with a heavy pick, and that has a x4 crit modifier, just asking for improved crit goodness ;-).

A2Z

Explorer
Darkwolf71 said:
1) Monkey Grip doesn't work that way. Unless you are using it to wield a large sized short spear?

Look at using a trident instead. Free up a feat.

2) You don't need two weapon fighting if you're going to get Agile shield fighter. They do the same thing, except ASF has no Dex requirement.

Frees up another feat.

You also don't need to take your dex above a 10 if you're going to be wearing full plate.
Hmm, I didn't notice that about Agile shield fighter. That's good to know. On monkeygrip, originally I wanted to use a longspear. Are there any feats that would let you use a spear one handed?

nittanytbone said:
Wield a short spear. The damage boost from a spear is not worth the -2 to hit from monkeygrip or the waste of a feat on a suboptimal choice like monkeygrip. It solves several problems for you.
Good point, maybe I should just use a shortspear.

On another note, can you take weapon focus/specialization..etc with a shield?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If you can find a way to wield a two-handed weapon in one hand, you might also consider the exotic weapon Great Spear, in the back of the Complete Warrior book. It has a base damage of 2d6, and reach. It's a great weapon! :)

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
For what it's worth, we have a house rule in our game:

"A spear can be wielded one-handed as a martial weapon".

It works out pretty well - making spears good but not like spiked chains or anything :)

Hejdun

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
For what it's worth, we have a house rule in our game:

"A spear can be wielded one-handed as a martial weapon".

It works out pretty well - making spears good but not like spiked chains or anything :)

I extend the rule even further and say that a one handed longspear is an exotic weapon.

I mean jeez, the phalanx was a dominant fighting style for hundreds of years and it isn't even possible under the rules?

Remove ads