February: What are you reading?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I've been reading "A Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

It is the granddaddy novel of numerous modern sf and fantasy tropes.

Even though it was written 100 years ago (1911), it is still fresh.

When I read it, those were my thoughts exactly. If you read further into the Barsoom series, you'll be amazed at some of the relatively modern technology and sci-fi ideas Burroughs imagined at the beginning of the last century!

Asmor

First Post
Just finished up [ame=http://www.amazon.com/John-Dies-End-David-Wong/dp/0312659148/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297788130&sr=8-1]John Dies at the End[/ame], which I can't recommend highly enough. It's disturbing and funny and dark and thought provoking... A modern tale with heavy Lovecraftian influences, but its own distinct flavor.

Reading samples on my Kindle to figure out my next book... looking like it'll probably be [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Black-Gold-Shadows-Apt/dp/1616141921/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297788045&sr=8-1]Empire in Black & Gold[/ame]

coyote6

Adventurer
I finished Brandon Sanderson's Elantris the other day, which I thought was totally setting up a sequel, but apparently he hasn't written one.

I just started Stirling's In the Courts of the Crimson Kings.

I suddenly have this urge to go buy the Savage Worlds version of Space: 1889. Not sure why. ;)

I didn't see the monthly thread yet, so figured I'd get the ball rolling.

I finished up The Walking Dead: Book 6. I'm currently reading Imaro 2: The Quest for Cush by Charles Saunders. The Imaro series is incredibly good. Saunders is a true heir to Howard. I'll have to order books 3 and 4 off Lulu.

I'm working my way through the Eberron novels to get more of the feel of the setting. Currently on the Inquisitives series.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Downloaded Oath of Swords for free (great idea, Baen), and started reading it.

Finished Call of Cthulu and At the Mountains of Madness (also free, though I think I own them in HC also). Not as much fun as I'd hoped.

I also downloaded the first three "of Mars" books for free. Haven't started them yet.

As for Dragonbone Chair, while I generally enjoy Williams, I found that trilogy to be less than I'd hoped. I especially found the ending to be tiresome.

ssampier

First Post
I finished Brandon Sanderson's Elantris the other day, which I thought was totally setting up a sequel, but apparently he hasn't written one.

I read the first chapter or 2 in Hastings. It was mildly entertaining to me. Does the pace improve after this point?

I read the parts
where his bride-to-be was speaking to her father about suspicions and he had found a 'guide' in the city

Krug

Newshound
Finished Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold. Sword & No Sorcery revenge quest in a fantasy setting. Grim, gritty, bloody and dark. Quite a fun read though the lead character seemed to get quite a few assists.

Crothian

First Post
I read Do Andriods dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip k Dick last night. Next up is Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist who also wrote the very good Let the Right one In. Of course those I'm reading the translated versions.

Remove ads