February: What are you reading?

Crothian

First Post
Hey, cool! How did you like it?

It's one of very, very few books I've read several times.

It was pretty good. Like many of the old classics the themes are a bit more familiar to us now then when it was written. It would have been interesting to read it when it was published instead of 40 years later.

Blastin

First Post
I read Do Andriods dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip k Dick last night. Next up is Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist who also wrote the very good Let the Right one In. Of course those I'm reading the translated versions.

Handling the the undead is a great book. Very different and not your typical Zombie book.

coyote6

Adventurer
I read the first chapter or 2 in Hastings. It was mildly entertaining to me. Does the pace improve after this point?

I read the parts
where his bride-to-be was speaking to her father about suspicions and he had found a 'guide' in the city

I thought so, but I did find the pacing a bit odd all the way through. It didn't bother me much, though.

Keith Robinson

Explorer
Just finished reading Iain Banks' Espedair Street. Nothing much to say about it realy. The writing style and quirky characters kept you turning the pages, but the plot was pretty weak and the ending pretty poor. Wasn't really sure what the point of it was once I'd finished!

Shade

Monster Junkie
I just received several Horseclans novels by Robert Adams. I'm starting on The Coming of the Horseclans tonight.

Krug

Newshound
Temple of the Serpent by CL Werner, the second book in a series about the Skaven Grey Seer Thanquol. It's a nice change to read a fantasy book where the hero is an opportunistic, power-hungry coward.

Croesus

Adventurer
I am reading Masked, an anthology of superhero stories edited by Lou Anders.

It is turning out to be an excellent read. Most of the authors have significant credits to their name in the genre, and they all seem to have a grasp of how the short story form differs from the comic, TV, and novel forms.

I call it a gold-mine for ideas for anyone running supers games. Just chock full of interesting plot and character tidbits just waiting to be ripped off!

Agreed. I'm halfway through and there are some great ideas here.

That said, the stories tend to be dark, some with pretty strong language and themes. I wouldn't recommend giving this book to younger teens.

Remove ads