• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

February : What are you reading?

EricNoah

Adventurer
The Orphanmaster looks good; let us know what you think of Alif. I haven't heard much, but I keep seeing it.

I'm halfway through Alif - it's a quick, entertaining read so far. Thought maybe it was going for "magical realism" but nope, it's some straight up fantasy set in a modern setting.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'm halfway through Alif - it's a quick, entertaining read so far. Thought maybe it was going for "magical realism" but nope, it's some straight up fantasy set in a modern setting.

Out of curiosity, what magical realism have you found most compelling?

EricNoah

Adventurer
I don't consider myself very knowledgeable about the genre and I don't have many examples to share. But for example, I read and enjoyed 1Q84 which I think might qualify. I was, however, uncomfortable with the ambiguous nature of the supernatural elements of the story - were they real, were they imagined, what caused them, etc. I'm sure that discomfort was intentional.

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Having received many recommendations, I picked up and starting reading Peter V. Brett's The Warded Man. So far it's pretty good, if a bit shallow. The characters are lacking depth, but I'm hoping the writing improves, as I like the direction the story is going and I like the premise. While he's no Martin or Abercrombie, Brett's work is satisfying.

Andrew Ridenour

First Post
I was given the first 4 books in the Song of Ice and Fire Series (aka Game of Thrones Series) and I have been busy, so I just started reading the first one (Game of Thrones) about a week and half ago. They are some big books, a bit of a slow read, I have to say. (Good, but a little slow.)

Nellisir

Hero
Just finished Robert Charles Wilson's Spin, because it was mentioned in this or the previous thread a few times. It's good, and I stayed up way too late finishing it, but I think it has the same problem a lot of super-far-future tech sf novels have, which is basically passivity &/or helplessness of the narrator. I'm not even sure what the point of the novel was.
Love conquers all? Set-up for the next novel? Nothing anyone in the book does affects the outcome whatsoever.

Remove ads