D&D 5E Feedback on five homebrew spells?

aco175

Legend
To boost the hallowed ground spell to 4th level you can add some benefits to know about the monsters in the area. I can see the spell being cast in areas like a dungeon or cave while exploring and investigating. You can learn about a certain monster and which way it comes from. Maybe there is a special ability it has like poison breath and you can see it use the breath on the dead.

This can translate with advantage on initiative at least and even something such as +1d6 damage to that monster.

I can also see this spell being up to a lot of interpretation by the DM. He is the one that needs to feed the players with game information and I can see it being a bit of gotcha if used that way.

Quickleaf

Legend
To boost the hallowed ground spell to 4th level you can add some benefits to know about the monsters in the area. I can see the spell being cast in areas like a dungeon or cave while exploring and investigating. You can learn about a certain monster and which way it comes from. Maybe there is a special ability it has like poison breath and you can see it use the breath on the dead.

This can translate with advantage on initiative at least and even something such as +1d6 damage to that monster.

I can also see this spell being up to a lot of interpretation by the DM. He is the one that needs to feed the players with game information and I can see it being a bit of gotcha if used that way.
Thanks for the feedback!

Here's my current revision of the Osiris' Hallowed Ground spell...

Osiris’ Hallowed Ground​

4th-level Divination (restricted)
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You focus on a place you can see no larger than a 60-foot cube, causing shadowy forms to act out a death scene in silent pantomime. Choose whether the reenacted death scene is of the most recent death(s) in the area or of the most violent death(s) in the area. The shadowy forms have no discernible features beyond a vague outline, as only the person who died and the murder weapon (if any) are presented in detail.
While I'd prefer to lean away from numerical advantages with this particular spell – which don't feel in keeping with the "spirit" of the spell's idea, at least for me – what about emulating a toned-down version of Commune with Nature (5th)? In particular, I'm looking at the part that says...

You instantly gain knowledge of up to three facts of your choice about any of the following subjects as they relate to the area:
  • terrain and bodies of water
  • prevalent plants, minerals, animals, or peoples
  • powerful celestials, fey, fiends, elementals, or undead
  • influence from other planes of existence
  • buildings

Maybe something like... "You witness shadowy forms revealing one fact of your choice about one of the following subjects as it relates to the area:
  • typical inhabitants and creatures
  • frequency with which death occurred at the site over the last year
  • presence of trapped souls or lingering spirits"

Stalker0

Legend
Thanks for the feedback!

Here's my current revision of the Osiris' Hallowed Ground spell...

While I'd prefer to lean away from numerical advantages with this particular spell – which don't feel in keeping with the "spirit" of the spell's idea, at least for me – what about emulating a toned-down version of Commune with Nature (5th)? In particular, I'm looking at the part that says...

Maybe something like... "You witness shadowy forms revealing one fact of your choice about one of the following subjects as it relates to the area:
  • typical inhabitants and creatures
  • frequency with which death occurred at the site over the last year
  • presence of trapped souls or lingering spirits"
Yeah I still think you need to add something, your just giving too little info for it to be 4th level. At this point I feel like I could just cast a divination and get a lot of this info.

Remove ads